Upgrading 2017 Rogue One Edition SV head unit

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
btv268
Car: 2017 Nissan Rogue SV (Rogue One edition)

Hello,

I’m new to the forum so please be patient. I recently purchased a 2017 Rogue SV (Rouge One edition) with the Bose package and am want to upgrade the head unit for better sound. I don’t have the 360 camera just the back-up camera. I have searched the web, called Crutchfield and my local installer. All the info I find appears to indicate that this is a difficult if not near impossible task for all that I have spoken with.

The only somewhat solution that I have come across is from phoenixautomotiveinc.com ([ PX6 SIX-CORE ] 12.1" VERTICAL SCREEN ANDROID 9 FAST BOOT NAVIGATION RADIO FOR NISSAN ROGUE 2014 – 2020). The customer service person told me that its plug-n play, will work with my system and I can retain my steering wheel controls as well as back-up camera. I’m just a little hesitant going this route since nothing else seems to support the swap.

I’m looking for some experienced comments regarding going this direction. I’m nervous because I can’t find much about the company or the head unit and before I spent the money I would like to have an idea if the unit will last me.

Thanks for reading.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

You don't have the around view camera system, so I don't understand why there should be any issue installing any decent double din unit. I would think the only limit would be on how much money you want to spend. Also, I'm not aware of any aftermarket units that are plug-n-play. You're most likely going to need several wiring harnesses and adapters, not to mention probably replacing the bezel around the head unit.

btv268

Plug-n-play was probably a bad choice of words. When I provide the details of my vehicle I am told that replacing the head unit requires bypassing the factory amp and replacing the factory speakers. I was told by the local installer that its simply because of the Bose system, but I could tell that he was reading directly from the Crutchfield website which states that same thing.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

There's so much to cover that I'll just give you the Cliff notes for now. Technically due to the inferiority of the HU, amp, and speakers, you would want to replace all of them, but it's not necessary (as long as you're willing to accept some limitations).

1) BOSE designed the way the sound system sounds and works, BUT few if any of the components are made by BOSE (that's been covered in this and other forums here on NICO).

2) Upgrading the entire BOSE system rather than replacing a part is a sales gimmick that shops will use in an attempt to sell more product. I'd avoid that shop and find a reputable place to have the work done.

3) You can improve the overall sound by simply replacing the speakers. This will cost much less than replacing the HU and will improve the output from the HU. You'll find that most everyone recommends that if you're on a budget you replace the speakers first (not to mention it's an easier DIY than replacing the HU).

NOTE: Most BOSE speakers are one or two ohm. Aftermarket speakers are generally four ohm.

btv268

Thanks for the reply.

btv268

Hi again, I now have a follow up question. I purchased a new head unit with Apple car play and the adapter to connect my existing USB port to the new unit. Will Apple CarPlay work through this USB port? I’ve read that some ports only support audio and video will not transfer so I’m confused.

Thanks

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

I'm not sure, but for now I'm going to say no it won't.

The topic of Apple CarPlay has been discussed previously, so I think a SEARCH of the forums will give you a more definitive answer.

yearoftherat
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

btv268 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:30 am
Hi again, I now have a follow up question. I purchased a new head unit with Apple car play and the adapter to connect my existing USB port to the new unit. Will Apple CarPlay work through this USB port? I’ve read that some ports only support audio and video will not transfer so I’m confused.

Thanks
I updated my factory deck to a Pioneer AVH-2300NEX a few years ago and am able to use Car Play through the USB port.

btv268

yearoftherat wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:59 pm
btv268 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks
I updated my factory deck to a Pioneer AVH-2300NEX a few years ago and am able to use Car Play through the USB port.
Thanks for the response. Like I said I have read it both ways with other vehicles and I wasn’t sure. I’m glad to get a positive response from someone who has a Rogue.

Return to “Rogue Forum”