upgraded radiator fan

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
727G35
Car: 03 5at g35 sedan

i plan on throwong on a turbo and goung to puah arouns 225hp 250tq
i have a 97 2.4 5 speed 2wd.
i was wondering if they sell an aftermarket fan you can just replace your mechanical stock fan with?
or would i be better off removing it completely and running 2 electric fans?
ill probably put a hood scoop for extra cool air if i need to.
i have an auxiliary oil cooler im installing in a few days.
I just want to be 100% ready in the cooling department before i put this turbo on.
any advice for cooling will be greatly appreciated.
thanks

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Before starting... Find someone who will be able to reprogram the ECU. Rather doubt the engine will perform well on today’s low octane fuel. May also ? have to change pistons - lower compression? Might? Be easier going with a small block V8? You should be able to find an adapter plate? An older pre emissions engine with a mild cam will easily get you close to the 200 hp.

727G35

im going to get a wideband and SAFC.
I talked to someone that has done it.
Just planning on 5 psi 8 max.

I was thinking a V8 But id like to stay Nissan
maybe a vk56de?
that was pretty quick in the big a** titan

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

You're not "reprogramming" a Nissan ECU from 1997.

Sounds like you have a lot of planning to do. A DOHC KA will handle low boost with a standalone, but to make any meaningful power, you're doing a full rebuild.

An SAFC is a cheap shortcut, from decades past. Proper tuning requires more than simply modifying the MAF signal. I've been down that road several times. :)

Your fan is the least of your concerns - a properly-functioning stock clutch fan and cooling system is more than capable of handling heat (even here in AZ).

727G35

AZhitman wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:15 pm
You're not "reprogramming" a Nissan ECU from 1997.

Sounds like you have a lot of planning to do. A DOHC KA will handle low boost with a standalone, but to make any meaningful power, you're doing a full rebuild.

An SAFC is a cheap shortcut, from decades past. Proper tuning requires more than simply modifying the MAF signal. I've been down that road several times. :)

Your fan is the least of your concerns - a properly-functioning stock clutch fan and cooling system is more than capable of handling heat (even here in AZ).
Im really trying to remove the fan and clutch for more room for a thicker radiator with electric fans. The less rotational mass on the engine is just a bonus. I just figured id keep the stock size radiator if I can find a fan that pulls more air.

ive seen 8 psi on an engine without being built as in not needing to remove the timing chain, actually not even fuel upgrades. Upon disassembly after 3 months or so the only problem was the rings started to expand.

i just want 5 to 7 max so starting at 5 I dont think ill rebuild, just upgrade bolt ons, and check internals after running 5 and turn it up a bit if it seems secure

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”