Upgrade transmission and drive shaft?

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Datniqqamycole
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Base - 311k miles

I'm a noob when it comes to car parts or what does what to make the car go. I've replaced my transmission 2 times already and the same problem keeps happening. Either it won't shift past 3 or 4th or gets stuck in some gears. I know this car has power. Maybe to much for the stock trans or drive train to handle? Is there anything i can upgrade. I don't want to give this car away. Its a sleeper. Running strong still at 320K

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

When you replaced the trans did you rebuild it? Or just stick another used one in?

You can have the trans rebuilt for higher power. They replace all the clutch packs, gaskets, o-rings, etc. There are rebuild kits for this ($500~) or you can spend a lot more money and have custom friction clutch pieces made with some higher friction material.
When everything is out, inspect the gears for signs of excessive wear, and possibly replace some of those as well depending on their condition.
Also have the valve body taken out and completely cleaned up, replace all the solenoids on it, and do the quick shift mod on it that makes shifts more firm so you get less slippage from the increased line pressure.

Then depending on your power from the engine replace the torque converter with one suited for your powerband. From what I remember higher stall torque converters make everyday street driving slower response and generate more heat, but they lets you run turbos and spool them up nice and quick. I don't even know if Edge Racing still makes these or is even still around anymore.

Datniqqamycole
Car: 2007 Infiniti M45 Base - 311k miles

I just put another one in. I wish i knew some people in the mechanic field so i could get the correct diagnosis. I dont think I'm explaining the issue correctly. Theres like a rattling noise when pressing on the gas sound like the middle or back of car. The car is not at all responsive. Like it's in limp mode? Whatever that is. Thank you for your input. I do appreciate. If i rebuild, where do i go to get the custom friction clutch or what you were saying.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”