Upgrade 2012 Murano SV with OEM stereo and navigation?

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
Scottgiller15
Car: 2012 Nissan Murano SV

I just bought a used 2012 Nissan Murano SV with out navigation option. I used to have a 2012 Jetta where I would connect my phone via Bluetooth and stream Pandora no problem. I thought that I would be able to have the same feature with the Murano. I have recently read that it is only possible to do that if you have the navigation option. I am looking to fix this as I would like to listen to Pandora through the Bluetooth and not have to use a cable or adapter. Can I purchase a navigation OEM stereo and install that in place of the current stereo without having to do any other modifications?
Last edited by Rogue One on Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised title

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

I've revised your title to better reflect the topic. Save yourself some money and get a good aftermarket system. The OEM system is extremely lacking, and if I recall correctly, Navteq has stopped issuing map updates for the 2012 navigation unit.
seldomseen wrote:
Lawrencmd wrote:I just purchased a 2013 Murano S. Did not want the base model but received 7k in rebates and incentives. The on thing I feel I must have is Navigation. My question is 2 part. Is the screen in the S model the same screen that functions the Nav on the models equipped with Navigation? If so is there a unit to add just for Navigation I could install? If not if I replaced the radio unit with a GPS/NAV/DVD unit what should I be looking for and can I add the steering wheel controls aswell?

Thanks in Advance
Lawrence
Technically speaking the conversion you're inquiring about is doable, but will be extremely expensive, and quite frankly not worth doing. Just purchase a GPS within the likes of Garmin and call it a day. Your next cost-effective alternative is to have an DD indash navigation unit custom built into your Murano. This type of install would be significantly cheaper than converting your existing setup to an OEM set-up.

Scottgiller15

I honestly don't care for the navigation part. I only want to know if the stereo head unit will work as a direct swap. I am looking to stream pandora through Bluetooth and I was told that only the navigation unit will allow you to do that. The current head unit in the SV no Navi will only allow me to make calls and not stream pandora. I am currently using rca cables that plug into the center arm rest and the sound is god awful.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Rogue One wrote:Technically speaking the conversion you're inquiring about is doable, but will be extremely expensive...

Scottgiller15

Has anyone serious looked into swapping out the head unit? Don't care about navigation, is the wiring harness and connections the same for the upgraded oem unit (power, speakers, backup camera, steering wheel controls)? I can find them for under $300. If the connections are different Nissan really invested alot of time and money to create 2 different head units just to get people to pay more for the upgrade. It's not rocket science. Talking about a factory head unit swap so I can stream pandora over Bluetooth and not a s*** cable with piss poor quality. Does anyone have wiring diagrams, or schematics of the two units to compare?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Scottgiller15 wrote:Has anyone serious looked into swapping out the head unit?
:facepalm:
Scottgiller15 wrote:Does anyone have wiring diagrams, or schematics of the two units to compare?
Had you bothered to look, there's a link to the FSM in my sig line.

Scottgiller15

This is the best/cheapest solution:

http://gromaudio.com/store/accessories/ ... erter.html

mscarce
Car: 2011 Nissan Murano

Hi, new to the forum so please be patient with my dumb questions. I have owned a 2011 Nissan Murano LE for 4 years. Love the car and have done quite a few factory upgrades myself to get the car to my liking. The only thing that it doesn't have yet is the factory Navigation. I am taking a shot in the dark here hoping that I can do it as long as I have all of the factory parts which I think I do. Over the past year I have been picking and choosing all of the parts, i.e. Bose head unit with nav, (already have a bose system in the car), nav color screen, heater/ac control panel, nav control panel, and nav antenna. Now my next question is will this just plug and play or will I have to get a special wiring harness to complete the upgrade? I don't mind doing the work and I have spent a lot of time already upgrading my Murano, I just want to do it correctly and not Jerry rig anything. I know I am in deep already without having the correct information but like I said, it was a shot in the dark hoping I can do this. Thanks for your time and look forward to any help I can get!!

Rizwalla
Car: 2012 Murano SV

didn't know if this topic was still open, but I'm posting this anyway for anyone who wants to know. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009O ... UTF8&psc=1

instead of going through all the hassle of installing an aftermarket stereo, plug this in your center console and you'll have no problems. :biggrin: well worth the $40! Able to stream Pandora, Spotify. No control on the console, but if the phone is in front of you, easy enough to do from there. :dblthumb:

ksprangers
Car: 2012 Nissan Murano SE

Scottgiller15 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:40 am
This is the best/cheapest solution:

http://gromaudio.com/store/accessories/ ... erter.html

Did you ever find out if you could swap in a stereo with nav? I'm in 100% the exact same situation as you. All I'm after is native bluetooth streaming. Don't care about the actual nav.

Also, you posted that cable. I could not get my phone to connect via that cable. I'm guessing it would work if I had downloaded mp3's but not for streaming. Thanks!

Kurt

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

At the risk of repeating myself...

RECAP:
Q: Can I upgrade the basic stock unit with the OEM NAV unit?
A: Technically yes, BUT it will not be cheap or easy. Currently used Murano NAV units are selling on eBay for about $570 USD. Those units will still need additional equipment to operate, costing even more money. Not to mention that there are no current maps as they were discontinued several years ago.

ksprangers

Thanks for the response. May I ask what you mean by additional equipment? I don't care if the GPS or maps work at all. All I'm really after is native bluetooth, and (if I'm not mistaken) the slightly better touch screen, etc.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

ksprangers

Hi,
I'm looking to see if anyone as swapped out the head unit and controls on their Murano, or other Nissan. The SOLE reason for this is to have native bluetooth on the factory stereo. I don't care if the NAV works. In fact, I assume the GPS antenna wouldn't even be installed as part of this (possible point of error?). Is it as simple as taking the old one out, putting the new one in? Thanks!

Kurt
2012 Murano SL

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

ksprangers wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:34 pm
Hi,
I'm looking to see if anyone as swapped out the head unit and controls on their Murano, or other Nissan. The SOLE reason for this is to have native bluetooth on the factory stereo. I don't care if the NAV works. In fact, I assume the GPS antenna wouldn't even be installed as part of this (possible point of error?). Is it as simple as taking the old one out, putting the new one in? Thanks!

Kurt
2012 Murano SL
No need to start a new thread for a question that you've already asked. :nono:

Please see my previous answer. It shows all the necessary parts for this upgrade. Also, it is NOT a simple swap out, and I'm pretty sure that if you don't install ALL of the required parts it will not function correctly, if at all.

ksprangers

Hey thanks, Rogue One. Except you haven't previously answered the question. You've answered around the question. Your answer now is that you don't believe it's a simple swap out is the more direct answer I was looking for. Thanks.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Return to “Murano Forum”