*update* removed navigation and rewired automatic climate control

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
bryanmenard
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX SE Fastback
2001 Infiniti QX4 4X4
2003 Infiniti QX4 4X4

My car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I just completed this project and offer the following suggestions for anyone wanting to tackle it in the easiest fashion and make it easily reversible.

The information here is great but I took it a step further and refined it a bit. Here's my experience.

Suggestions:

1) Take your time. If you have a garage with A/C or a cool place, use it. Budget 4 hours for this job and that's mostly just being meticulous. I fortunately had an A/C warehouse. I have a wonderful 1994 Volvo as my backup car and it was available the entire time so there was no pressure on me. This makes a huge difference in any project, being able to step back and walk away. This can be very intimidating for someone, especially with cutting wires to something critical like A/C. However, it's straightforward and it can be done with relative ease.

2) Buy a complete bezel with everything you need already installed. Don't piecemeal by buying one thing at a time and end up needing something. Wait for the right one. I purchased a complete bezel with climate unit, 4WD switch, lighter, everything WITH pigtails on eBay...a lot more than I needed. Junkyards that sell on eBay are your best bet for finding them with pigtails. Cutting off a nice pigtail on all of the stuff is pretty standard for a junkyard. I browsed for a month and found the perfect one with pigtails. In my deal, they even threw in the clock and upper vent that I didn't need. Read the conclusion for why this was cool.

3) Tag your wires before you cut them...on both sides. Go through the pinouts and tag your pigtail with the wire numbers. Then tag the wires coming out of the car before you cut the harness. I used a Brady IDXPERT printer and printed a wraparound wire tag for each wire on both sides. I numbered each wire right beneath the connector on both sides...on the pigtail that came with my replacement climate unit and also on the car side on the wires that were going into the Navi-climate unit box. I numbered them based upon the pinouts right here. That way, when I went to make the connections, I'm matching number to number and not monkeying around with wire colors or looking back at the connector I cut to see if I have the right wire. I did some work before I cut the wires that saved me a lot of time on the back end. Image

4) Think outside the box for making the connection. I didn't use use butt splices or solder...I used high quality insulated quick-disconnect connectors instead of crimping my wires directly to one another. I took my pigtail harnesses from the new climate unit and put male insulated spade connectors on each wire. Then, on the car side, I used females. Since I already had tagged my wires by number, I just had to match the numbers and snap them in. If I made a bad connection, I could pop the connector out and troubleshoot easily. I got it right on the first shot, but the point is that I had a backup plan. Use quality connectors and they will never come loose like the cheap garbage from AutoZone. I bought MOLEX brand and from Allied Electronics and crimped with an Ideal Crimpmaster (the best).

5) Strain relief is important. It takes some force to pull these wires out of those quick-connects...more than just pulling by hand. To be extra sure, to prevent any push or pull on my connections, I wrapped each wire bundle in spiral wrap from Alpha Wire (also from Allied Electronics). This keeps it all together, is easily removable, and provides peace of mind if I was somehow thinking these things would come undone. If you use high quality ones, they won't, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I wrap anything - soldered, crimped, quick-connects - ANY connection in either heat shrink, spiral wrap, loom, or something to eliminate any strain on the connectors. Strain relief is critical, no matter what method you're using to make the connection.

6) Use a quality ratcheting crimper if you're crimping. I cannot overstate this. Don't try this unless you're using a good crimper and you know how to crimp. A generic crimper from Wal-Mart or Auto Zone won't consistently crimp connections. Consistency is critical when you're talking about hacking into 30 wires. One bad crimp means there are probably 10 marginal crimps, etc. You can't get around this. Get a good, quality, ratcheting crimper. The connection should be better and more consistent than a soldered connection if you're using a decent ratcheting crimper with minimal skill.

Conclusion:

The project is well worth it and easy if you plan it out, tag everything, and do it right.

Whether you go my route of using quick-disconnects or actually crimp the wires together, the tagging of the wires is essential and should be done by anyone taking on this task. It helps immensely. The main reason I did it is because I work in electronics and automation and tagging wires is something I do daily. I don't mess around with wire identification. I take nothing on faith or even color of wire. I highly recommend anyone who does a lot of auto wiring to invest in a tag printer. I love them. There are dozens of ways of tagging wires, from using scotch tape and paper all the way to the fancy printer I use for work. Just tag them in whatever way you can. You'll be glad you did.

An added bonus....I made money on the conversion Before I began the project, I sold the following on eBay separately: 4WD Switch, Ashtray, Bezel with Hazard/Defrost Switch/Lighter, Clock/Vent assembly. I had paid for the project simply by selling the stuff the eBay Bezel came with that I didn't need. Now that I'm done, I'm selling the navigation unit (with broken buttons), climate box and the Bose tape-deck. That's all just icing on the cake for me.

Tools used:

Paladin Stripax Plus Wire Stripper (already owned)
Brady IDXPERT wire-tag printer (already owned)
Ideal Crimpmaster crimper (already owned)
Molex Male & Female insulated Quick disconnects (From Alliedelec.com)
2" Alpha Spiral Wrap (already had a roll laying around)

I took some photos and will post later as my iPhone has died from running the XM app for 4 hours and I have no Lightning charger on me. I put some stock footage for illustrations for now for the wire tags, spiral wrap, and connectors.

Bottom line: Plan ahead, do it, and do it right.

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

@bryanmenard - nice post. Still waitin' on those pictures. :)

What head unit did you go with?

I ended up doing a Nexus 7 in-dash although I'm still tweaking it to battery drain issues.

greengumby
Car: 2002 Pathfinder- "ole Rusty"
2006 Honda Pilot

sroberts wrote:@bryanmenard - nice post. Still waitin' on those pictures. :)

What head unit did you go with?

I ended up doing a Nexus 7 in-dash although I'm still tweaking it to battery drain issues.
Wouldn't tapping into the switched 12v solve the battery drain issue ?

sroberts

greengumby wrote:Wouldn't tapping into the switched 12v solve the battery drain issue ?
The Nexus 7 runs off of its internal battery but will not charge the battery fast enough to compensate for the drain so it eventually runs out of battery. There's a 400+ page thread http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-timurs ... rootzwiki/ with a large focus on the issue but no straight forward solution. Ideally the tablet would run off of the USB power source directly and use the battery for standby only, but this solution requires some engineering and I'm not sure I want to be one of the pioneers.

greengumby
2006 Honda Pilot

sroberts wrote:
greengumby wrote:Wouldn't tapping into the switched 12v solve the battery drain issue ?
The Nexus 7 runs off of its internal battery but will not charge the battery fast enough to compensate for the drain so it eventually runs out of battery. There's a 400+ page thread http://rootzwiki.com/topic/37755-timurs ... rootzwiki/ with a large focus on the issue but no straight forward solution. Ideally the tablet would run off of the USB power source directly and use the battery for standby only, but this solution requires some engineering and I'm not sure I want to be one of the pioneers.

Gotcha ... I had the same issue with my samsung tablet ..it needed a 2.1 amp connection i found most of the usb adaptors out there were only 1.5 / 1.0 sometimes you can find 2.0 didnt work. With those i found the tablet ran into the issue you posted with the nexus 7. ..Thanks for info :)

makechai
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001
Nissan Altima 2004

I'm on the bandwagon to do this. I still love my 2001 Pathfinder. Still runs great and just want to upgrade the stereo and nav. The OEM one is TOO old.

It's been hard to find the wiring harness. I've bought a 2003/2004 Control Unit (looks exactly the same) and it includes the same m102/m103 harness. My concern is the wiring diagram is different between the 01 and 03/04. Pin #6 is my issue. It is the ECM COMP and does not exist on 03/04. Plus the 03/04 has a 'unified meter control unit'. No idea what that is.

Did I just pay $50 for the harness? Should I go find the 01/02 Control Unit?

BTW: Looking at the Pioneer AVIC-5000NEX or 6000NEX to replace the nav system. Plan to use the PAC ROEM-NIS2 (because i have a BOSE) and the PAC SWI-RC

thx.

greengumby
2006 Honda Pilot

Is this more of a cosmetic issue that people prefer over the manual climate control? I can certainly understand the DVD relocation but dang if the heat works / ac is cool ...uh why bother ?

makechai
Nissan Altima 2004

For me...Its the fact that that the nav is from 2005, I can't use bluetooth without an adapter, and the BOSE head unit still has a cassette player (plus it doesn't sound good)

atraudes
Car: 2001.5 Infiniti QX4 4WD

For some it's to free up the double-din space. For me it was:

1. The buttons were falling off the navigation unit, and was only a matter of time till the rest followed suit.
2. The buttons were too small.
3. The on-screen fan speed buttons were too hard to press (and find in direct sunlight).
4. Having to wait until the system completely booted before I could adjust fan speed.
5. The GPS was thoroughly useless as a navigation unit thanks to the outdated maps (and no way to update them).
6. Noisy DVD drive.

So yes, all personal preference things, but I'm incredibly satisfied with the outcome and still glad I did it.

greengumby
2006 Honda Pilot

atraudes wrote:For some it's to free up the double-din space. For me it was:

1. The buttons were falling off the navigation unit, and was only a matter of time till the rest followed suit.
2. The buttons were too small.
3. The on-screen fan speed buttons were too hard to press (and find in direct sunlight).
4. Having to wait until the system completely booted before I could adjust fan speed.
5. The GPS was thoroughly useless as a navigation unit thanks to the outdated maps (and no way to update them).
6. Noisy DVD drive.

So yes, all personal preference things, but I'm incredibly satisfied with the outcome and still glad I did it.
Thanks I understand a little better now :)

makechai
Nissan Altima 2004

@Ninjakills1 or @sroberts: How did you mount the climate control where the radio is? The bracket I have with the nav and bose is the full width of the opening. I'm about to trim the bottom of the radio opening so the climate control will fit. But, I don't see a way to screw it to the current bracket.

Thanks.

makechai
Nissan Altima 2004

Got the NAV out and the new auto climate control in. Trimmed the bezel so it fits.

Now, I have a stupid question: The ROEM-NIS2 i purchased has bare wire for the speaker connection. My head unit ONLY had RCA outs. Is there a harness or do I need to buy RCA male connectors and solder them to the bare speaker wires? And, I think I'm only supposed to use the High Level ones.

Thanks.

makechai
Nissan Altima 2004

Yep. That was a stupid question. The head unit does have bare wire. Apologies

greengumby
2006 Honda Pilot

makechai wrote:Yep. That was a stupid question. The head unit does have bare wire. Apologies
Never a stupid question its the answers you get are usually the ones that are Stupid :)

cvas
Car: Nissan pathfinder 2002

Anyone.

Any help how He got a/c control to fit in radio opening
I looked at the picture BELOW where the Navigation was replaced successful with he A/c control replaced below NAV in the 1 DIN. where radio use to be.

I located what looks to be the same electronic A/c control for 2002 pathfinder.
a/ccontroler link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141645732174?it ... 23&vxp=mtr

The a/c control FACE I was told measures 2 1/4 x 7 1/4
PROBLEM my 2002 Pathfinder wood trim bexel radio opening I din is only 2 x 6 7/8.

Any help how He got it to fit in the opening?.

I have the factory installed 2002 navigatin nissan pathfinder now with nav on top of radio 1 din. Like everyone else, I also lost a/c buttons and that is why I am replacing.

a/c control picture.link

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAwWDE2MDA=/ ... 5Q/$_0.JPG

makechai
Nissan Altima 2004

I had a LOT of trouble.
  • First, the new head unit would not match the bracket where the nav/ac unit was. I had to do some cutting and trimming to match the screw holes.

Second, the a/c unit does NOT fit into the radio opening. I got dremel and trimmed out the bottom with a sanding attachment.
It's not the best job, but it's the best I could do. I cracked the bezel as well. Oh well, it is a 14 year old car.

cvas

Thank you so much. That really helped.
especially the new picture.

Did you check out the nissan bezel with a/c on top of navigation to see if better fit.
I think the 2002 non navigation comes that way.

makechai
Nissan Altima 2004

I did, but could not find one on ebay that was faux wood.

cvas

first of all thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post. I do have a couple more questions.

I have YOUR SAME setup factory NAV on top.

1. since you've SEEN all the wiring/brackets. If you change the bezel so the A/C is on top of the nav is the wiring compatible? The rackets?. or is it very complex to modify?

2. In the bezel with a/c top, the a/c would fit. Do you think nav would fit better Than it does in original bezel?

Thank you

cvas

]For a 2002 -pathfinder replacing factory NAV with new bezel a/c digital control on top where NAV used to be. Anyone have the WIRE COLOR MATCH or the LAYOUT of how to connect wires for the A/c control?

sroberts

@makechai - How is that head unit working out? I still have a Nexus 7 installed, paired with a hidden radio/head unit, but I am not satisfied with the Nexus 7. It does have some great advantages but I'm not happy that I can't pair a phone to it. I'd like to get an Android head unit, but I don't think any of the units that have a CD/DVD slot will fit due to the steel bar at the back of the cavity where the NAV was.

Sorry I did not see your earlier question, I thought I was subscribed but apparently was not.

cvas

I am still waiting for a response. So I haven't purchased yet.

Do you think that an aftermarket nav with cd/dvd WON'T fit where the original nav was due to a steel bar? I am going to put my new nav on bottom instead of top with new bezel with radio up top where original nav was.
Do you think That will work ?

patqx4
Car: 2002 QX4

Cvas, I just completed the swap on the weekend, only in my instance I started with a non navi qx4 with an after market pioneer navi on bottom. I have now installed a bezel from a qx4 with navi and moved my pioneer unit to the top. I was able to fit my unit there, so some will fit.

Here's how mine looks right now, still need to fill the gap around the head unit, I also installed my cb radio at the same time. Image

cvas

1. Are your a/c controls on bottom where radio was?

2. What a/c controls did you find that fit bezel opening?

2. What can be used to trim out nav ?

Thanks. My Pathfinder came with nav, a/c control buttons are gone now. .
Doing what you did , would save me from buying a bezel.
I could keep the bezel I have like the one you are showing with NAV on top..

sroberts

I have the same style bezel as PatQX4, and also had to slightly expand the lower part to fit the climate control.

I purchased a Clarion NX702 head unit and was able to get it to fit, but that system had a lot of problems so I returned it. I'm surviving with an in-dash Nexus 7 tablet paired via bluetooth to a hidden Sony head unit. Parts of it work great - I use google play and pandora and the steering wheel controls are fully functional. And Waze is great when traveling. I'll snap some photos when my car is running again, i have the ECM out for repair.

cvas

1. What A/C CONTROLS did you find that fit bezel opening.??

2. WHAT DID YOU USE??? TO TRIM out the din opening for A/C CONTROL, so controls fit in bezel opening?

2. What can be used to TRIM out NAV ?.

THANK YOU

patqx4

cvas wrote:1. What A/C CONTROLS did you find that fit bezel opening.??

2. WHAT DID YOU USE??? TO TRIM out the din opening for A/C CONTROL, so controls fit in bezel opening?

2. What can be used to TRIM out NAV ?.

THANK YOU
1. You should be able to clearly see in my picture that I used the same 01-04 pathfinder auto climate control as everyone else in this thread.

2. Utility knife.

01path
Car: 2001 nissan pathfinder

Hello everyone,

First of all, thank you for your posts regarding your progress! It has been very helpful!

I have a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Unfortunately, it got broken into and my navigation and aftermarket stereo was stolen(and the wires were cut). After finding out how much the original navi costs. I decided to do little research on an alternative option and I came across this very helpful forum! So I went bought a climate control unite from 2002 pathy with the original harness plugs. Also found the wooden trim. But I made a mistake that might hunt me down. I found the black box and I cut the wire hurness in the back without tagging them. I really thought they will match except the pink wire for illumination. But there are few of them that don't match. To be honest I'm new to this and I couldn't figure out the wiring diagram on page 31-36 that was provided on this forum. I hope It's a fixable mistake. Any help will be much appreciated. I'll also post some pic. Thank you in advance!!

01path
Car: 2001 nissan pathfinder

This picture with the gray wire (black, red, white, and ground) are the extra wires attached to my black box that I cut. Rest of the wires match but not these one

.Image

In this picture the wires that are going to the left are the one that don't match from my climate control plugs.

Any help will be much appreciated.thank you again

patqx4

While I can't offer any direct help, what I would do in your situation is crimp on some male and female quick disconnects, and troubleshoot the different connections 1 wire at a time, to see where they go..

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”