Update on the Family car.

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
benzguy95
Car: 00 Mercedes C280 Sport, 04 Pathfinder Platinum Edition (family's car)

Hello All!

It's been some time since i've posted anything in here and I figure I'd give you all some updates about my families 04' Pathfinder.

November will mark 6 years of ownership and in that time not much has needed to be done to it besides normal maintenance, a new radiator, one fog light bulb, and both crank and camshaft sensor replacement. The odometer finally crossed over the 200k mile mark a few months back and it still has the same amount of power and performance that it did back when they bought it.

However, it has not aged as gracefully as I had hoped and intended it would. Around the 150-160k mile mark it began consuming a fair bit of oil and the check engine light came back with a catalyst code. After finding out how much all 4 replacement cats would be the folks kinda decided to put it on the back burner for a minute.(we live in an area that doesn't do emissions or safety inspections so you sometimes see the worst of the worst around here.) Around 170-180k it began blowing oil past the piston rings and out the exhaust along with leaking transmission fluid, now i've seen many 80's and 90's vehicles do the same thing but not too often from a 2000's vehicle. My folks are not one to neglect their vehicles and this one was not a victim of neglect from its previous original owner so to see this one come apart at a rapid pace was surpising to me.

At this point they want to part with it soon but since they moved into a new house and are in the process of refurbishing the old one to put up for sale, it'll have to stick around a bit longer until they sell the old house. I've taken the liberty of driving it around a bit since it doesnt get driven as much as it used to and ive come to enjoy the power and comfort of it comapred to my lower-slung Mercedes-C-class, the hauling capabilities are great and if it were a 4WD model I would've loved to seen it get put to the test on some trails and backwoods adventures.

For now, i'll enjoy the time I have with it until the folks part with it but I have considered looking into another one for myself with 4WD or even a current gen Frontier. Thanks for the help guys! I'll be sure to keep ya updated with any other braking news about it.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”