Up for discussion: Sanctuary city fights border crime?

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

San Francisco officials have taken US taxpayers for $5.7 million by using grant money designed to prosecute Mexican border related drug and alien smuggling crimes according to an audit conducted by the US Department of Justice Office of Inspector General. The grant money comes from the Southwest Border Prosecution Initiative Reimbursement Program (SWBPI) which, according to the audit, was designed to reimburse state and local governments for "costs associated with the prosecution and pre-trial detention of federally initiated illegal immigration and drug and alien smuggling cases that subsequently are declined by the U.S. Attorneys offices and instead referred to state and local jurisdictions."

San Francisco received more SWBPI grant money in 2006 than Los Angeles County or San Diego County which do have bona fide border problems.

The audit states :

Although, San Francisco provided two separate lists in support of the SWBPI cases submitted for reimbursement, according to San Francisco officials neither list was representative of the SWBPI cases submitted for reimbursement because the SWBPI submissions were not based on actual cases. As a result, we found that all of the SWBPI reimbursements submitted by San Francisco were not supported.

In other words, San Franciso officials apparently submitted made-up data to document the expenditure of funds since it had apparently no records for "real" cases. Perhaps there are no "real" cases because the official policy of the City is not ask anyone if they are in the country illegally.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle

Federal officials say they will ask San Francisco to repay the $5.4 million the city has received as part of the program, but they have not determined how to go about it.

This audit comes on the heels of a TV, radio and billboard public relations effort by the City to encourage illegal aliens to relocate to San Francisco where they can receive schooling, health care and other benefits. But the City Controller has projected that the City is facing a whopping $338 million budget deficit next fiscal year so it is not clear how the City can afford to be so generous.

Certainly, the SWBPI funds wasted on San Francisco could have been better used in places like Maricopa County, Arizona where Sheriff Joe Arpaio has been waging a no-nonsense war against border crime.

One wonders why sanctuary cities are even eligible to receive this funding.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I hope they charge them interest. I would think this is fraud?

I feel sorry for the taxpayers of San Fran. I was there a couple of years ago at a week long convention downtown. Walking the streets was annoying due to all the bums following us around rattling cups with change in it to get money. Hell, there were numerous times we had to walk around people sleeping on manhole covers. Now they are actively pressing it to be a "free zone" so I hate to see what it's like in a couple years.

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

I'm not surprised by anything San Fran does. In CA we sort of ignore SF as much as we can. It's truly the land of Fruits and Nuts. They are a minimum of 475 miles from the border, and have nothing to do with border traffic.

SF is unusual in that the County of SF, and the city of SF share the same geographic boundaries. Yes, the city of SF is the only city in the County of SF. Imagine having two political bodies trying to run the same geographic area. They often have to be creative in finding sources of revenue.

The real question is what fed employee was too dumb to look at a map of CA and see that SF sat almost in the middle of the state and then question what border smuggling occurred there. I think the feds are just too dumb to control our tax dollars. Privatize!

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

It is pretty insane. Sometimes you simply need to let them hang themselves and I hope the feds actually make them pay back the money, tho I won't hold my breath

Return to “Politics Etc.”