Unusual Outside Temperature Reading Behavior

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Altair 4
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 1
2020 Nissan Rogue SV - Rogue 2

So the weather is warming although the mornings are still chilly. Yesterday, I came to work and the temperature was in the low 40's. I went out at lunch time, temperature around 60, to run errands and noticed that the outside temperature gauge still read 43 degrees F when I started the Rogue. I figured that it would jump to the actual ambient temperature quickly, but it didn't. Over the 40 minutes of driving, it slowly climbed to 58. By then, the actual outside temperature was probably closer to 65.

Couple questions:
1) Is the normal behavior? Haven't had the opportunity to check it again to see if this was a one time thing (but I'll do it again at lunch time today).
2) Where is the outside air temperature sensor located?
3) Does the same sensor feed data to the engine management system? Is this impacting the performance/economy?

Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Altair 4 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:56 am
1) Is the normal behavior? Haven't had the opportunity to check it again to see if this was a one time thing (but I'll do it again at lunch time today).
No, I don't think that's normal. The rate of change is, the ambient sensors are very heavily damped and change at turtle speeds. But unless there's a goof-up in the '18 firmware that I don't know about, it should reset to a new reading whenever the key is cycled. Is it possible you left the ignition on and the BCM had to shut it down to conserve power? That's the only thing I can think of that might cause it to not reset.
Altair 4 wrote:
In the grille. On the gen2 Rogue, I think it's on the center radiator support.
Altair 4 wrote:
3) Does the same sensor feed data to the engine management system? Is this impacting the performance/economy?

No. If you have Auto A/C then the HVAC uses it in addition to the cluster, but the ECM only cares about intake air temp (IAT). That's a separate sensor incorporated into the MAF.

Altair 4

VStar650CL wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:18 am
Altair 4 wrote:
No, I don't think that's normal. The rate of change is, the ambient sensors are very heavily damped and change at turtle speeds. But unless there's a goof-up in the '18 firmware that I don't know about, it should reset to a new reading whenever the key is cycled. Is it possible you left the ignition on and the BCM had to shut it down to conserve power? That's the only thing I can think of that might cause it to not reset. No, I'm pretty sure the vehicle was turned off. Good to know that it's heavily damped though. I'll watch it in the future under similar circumstances to see if it repeats. I didn't get a chance today.
Altair 4 wrote:
In the grille. On the gen2 Rogue, I think it's on the center radiator support. Thanks, I thought it would be in the front. What's really weird about it all is that I was parked in the sun, and the front of the Rogue was facing the sun.
Altair 4 wrote:

No. If you have Auto A/C then the HVAC uses it in addition to the cluster, but the ECM only cares about intake air temp (IAT). That's a separate sensor incorporated into the MAF.
Again, good to know. Thanks for your help!

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

My 2011 temp display also reacts really slow, I thought it was just a Nissan rouge thing.

I can have the Rouge parked in the heated garage for 4+ hours after being outside in -20C weather, and still read -20C after restarting the car.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

itsa300zx wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:53 pm
I can have the Rouge parked in the heated garage for 4+ hours after being outside in -20C weather, and still read -20C after restarting the car.
Hm, then maybe that is a generic Rogue-thing and I just never noticed. None of our family Nissans behave that way but none of them is a Rogue, and no customer ever brought it up to me. Tyvm for the info.
itsa300zx wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:53 pm
My 2011 temp display also reacts really slow, I thought it was just a Nissan rouge thing.
That's for sure a Nissan thing. The temp displays all update at one of three speeds, slow, slower, and you'll retire first.

Lone Wolff
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD
2010 Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L
2010 Ford Fusion SEL

The External Temp reading on our Rogue is slow to "correct" itself, but not that slow. Seems like it changes the display reading about once every 3 to 4 seconds.
We keep it garaged overnight and the internal garage temp is usually around 40-50F in the Winter. Leaving in the AM when the outside temp is around 0F, within 4-5 minutes of driving it will be displaying a temp that is close enough to actual outside temp. But it is never immediately displaying the correct external temp as soon as we drive out of the garage.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Lone Wolff wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:56 am
The External Temp reading on our Rogue is slow to "correct" itself, but not that slow. Seems like it changes the display reading about once every 3 to 4 seconds.
We keep it garaged overnight and the internal garage temp is usually around 40-50F in the Winter. Leaving in the AM when the outside temp is around 0F, within 4-5 minutes of driving it will be displaying a temp that is close enough to actual outside temp. But it is never immediately displaying the correct external temp as soon as we drive out of the garage.
Updating at 3~4 seconds is blinding fast by the standards of most Nissan ambient systems, maybe that's why they don't do any reset on the Rogue. I checked a used '17 this morning and it appears it's generic to Rogues, it was still reading the 7AM temp when I turned it on again at 10AM.

Altair 4

Thanks for confirming, VStar. I always appreciate your replies to all of our threads!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Altair 4 wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:20 am
Thanks for confirming, VStar. I always appreciate your replies to all of our threads!
You're most welcome. Happy motoring!

Return to “Rogue Forum”