Unsprung Weight

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Opposite_Lock
Car: Motec Systems Exhausts, S15 headlights on a Civic, lighted windshield wiper squirters, oh and leaf s

I was wondering what a good weight for a rim with its tire mounted would be. The hatchback me and my dad are planning on getting had two different sets in the front and the back. My friend told me that once he got the tires changed on his rotas that he would give me his stock altima wheels until i was able to buy aftermarket wheels. His stock wheels with 215-55-15 tires (the tires are goodyears) weighed 31 lbs. each. The rotas being 17 inches with brigestone potenzas 215-45-17 weighed in at 39 lbs.. No i dont know what kind of rotas they are so please dont ask. Anyways i was wondering what a good weight would be. Probably you guys have your own wheel+tire weight you can share. Also, would the SE rims of a 91-94 240sx with the same goodyear tires weigh more or less the same as the stock altima wheels.Thanks

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

I honestly don't know what a good weight would be after you mounted tyres on...Just look up how much a rim weighs, then look up how much a tyre weighs that you would put on the rim, and add up the numbers!

Dori Dori
Car: Cars of course

Just get the lightest, strongest wheels you can afford. If you are putting on high performance tires, they will weigh more than regular tires (just an FYI). Bling weighs a lot. Forged usually weighs the least. And Cast is usually in the middle.

On my WRX, I had Buddy Club P1 Qf's. They were a single piece forge and weighed 12lbs in 17x7.5"...I couldn't find a lighter wheel in that size. I had S03's on them...heavy tire, but awesome grip levels in wet and dry! Very predictable too!

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

yeah, I agree with dori. lighter and stronger is always nice, I got VOLK GRAM lights for my car, 17x7.5, with pirelli Pzero asymetrico tires, and would be hard pressed to get better wheels/tires in the offset specs I wanted, and low enought weight for the money.

also, my Pzero has a kevlar carcass so its actually a bit lighter than most tires(hehe, I love knowing my tires...)-chet

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”