unsolvable idle problem

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
vududoc
Car: drag drift autox

OK wtf! i have an idle problem and i cant get it fixed. Heres the 411. I have a SOHC 5sp that when i stop the idle will drop like a rock and try and stall. Also i noticed that im always locked out of my gears and have to play around to get the sucker in gear. One other thing is the BPT is suking air all the damn time? i floor the gas and the cars acceleration just remains at a constant.

Replaced: IAA, SCV VALVE, PR CONTROL VALVE, AUX AIR VALVE, IAA CONTROL VALVE, PLUGS WIRES, O2, CAP AND ROTOR, Adjust this and adjust that!

:( :(

SpeedRacer1
Car: 1990 240SX, G35

Bad tps?

vududoc

you know i read something on that but how can i be sure????? are there like multimeter readings or computer diag???? thats basically why all the others have been replaced.:help :help :confused: :help

WAbernethy

I know there is a switch in the TPS for Idle that is supposed to trip the IAV. Maybe you could check that. Not sure about which contacts it is on the sensor itself, but my book says it's 33 and 44 on the ECU. Good luck man.

S13ninja

Check your fuel pressure. can be ur fuel pump.

SPIRO

my idle problem fixed itself somehow heh but now i'm leaking oil n its causing my belts to slip n make squeeling noises now n then : (

vududoc

i just dropped in a new fuel pump:( one thing i noticed is that it did occasionally fix itself!?! i couldnt figure it out.......it was like the phantom fix. the gear lock out is what concerns me the most! i ask the nissan guys and they havent a clue.....talk about reassuring.

WAbernethy

Ewww. That sounds like a wiring problem. It doesn't just fix itself, it wiggles to one side and starts working again. Start your car and pull and shake the engine harnesses. Maybe you'll find something there. I have a problem that comes and goes. Sometimes the car will idle at like 13-15 hundred RPMs and if I shake the harness it will drop back to normal. Still haven't figured out exactly what in the harness is causing it because it only happens once in a while. Anyway, good luck again.

240FeVeR
Car: 1992 240sx Coupe!

Try cleaning your throttle body/chamber. Basically, spray one can of intake cleaner in there and see how she does. Sounds like the engine isn't breathing properly at idle.

slw240sx
Car: 1990 Ca18det 240sx Hatch

if you get a bad idle or stumbling mostly on the sohc motors check the connections on the fuel injectors mine if they get knocked around make the motor stumble an idle ruffly also check your egr dont know how much a diff that would make mines not really connected any more an i get a hesitation an some bad idling every once in a while

Get240DiZzY
Car: Rallying. My 240. Not at the same time though.

I had the same problem, so I just get some fuel injector cleaner, and it worked. Its worth a shot.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

Do clean the MAS, and throttle body and as far into the intake manifold as you can reach. This will insure you are getting proper air metering and flow. Read ECU codes if you have em. About that oil leak check where it is originating from... often oil leaks are around crank seals, which is due to over-tightening the crank pulley 90% of the time. Also vaccum check your car... check over all the vaccum lines and make sure they are all plugged in. Replacing the fuel filter is cheap, easy, and a small mod (300Z TT Fuel Filter).

ssnnooppyy
Car: my 1990 240sx

here's a fun and potentially stooooopid question.... how does one do a vacuum check??? I have been bouncing all over the board trying to narrow down my problem. Here's a new observation on my little 240... if I drive her immediately after starting, the brakes are gone.... Vacuum problem since the master cylinder is vacuum actuated??? I have stumbling off the line at wot, and hesitation all through the power band. Vacuum problems??? EGR???

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”