Unorthodox crank pulley vs full kit

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
TommyyJ

what do you guys think, is it worth it to buy the whole kit that replaces all the pulleys or just the crank pulley? the full kit is pricey:eek:

thanks

GTW240SX
Car: AutoX,Dragrace,Football

I have 98 with the single pulley. I didn't notice much differance on the street. Maybe a 1/10th quicker 1/4 mile.

technoman
Car: puss

All it does is make the motor rev faster. Works great with cams.But taking off the fan gives more power anyways.

TommyyJ

technoman

taking off the fan or just switching to the electrical setup?

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

going to electric.

technoman

Well you have to have something to cool the radiator. Replace the stock fan with a electric fan. I use two one for the radiator and one for the A/C condinser.

TommyyJ

technoman

where did you pick your electric fans? can you purchase any universal one? thanks

technoman

I got my fans at autozone for 40 a pice. You must run a extra fan on your A/C condinser making that one push and the one on the radaitor pull. This can be achieved by reversing the polairty. I also use a adjustable relay with temp sensor to cycle the fans.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

When installing the electric fan is it absolutely nessesary to have a pusher and a puller? I have a single 14 inch fan as a puller and it seems to work just fine, though i have not run the a/c yet with the new mod. The fan pulls 1250 CFM's and that should be pretty close to the stock amount of air with the clutch fan.:help

technoman

It depends where you live and how hot it is out side. The a/c condinser will get very hot. I recomend you cool it because if you don't your a/c will not cool you.

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

Or you can just pull out your A/C and save a couple pounds. :)

1991240xs

technoman wrote:I got my fans at autozone for 40 a pice. You must run a extra fan on your A/C condinser making that one push and the one on the radaitor pull. This can be achieved by reversing the polairty. I also use a adjustable relay with temp sensor to cycle the fans.

What kind of fans did you use...and did you use the writeup on 240sx.org to install the fans? I am looking into doing this soon...mechanical fan is soooooooooooooooo freakin' loud-

technoman

I did my own wiring setup. I used to thermo probe and an adjustable relay to cycle the fans. The outer fan is wired to the A/C switch to kick on even if the engine temp is to cool to run the radiator fan. the fans cycle at 175 degree to 182 degree.

ash1y1
Car: Cars, Gadgets & Gizmos, Computers, Health, Travel

Guys, what kind of electric fans did you get and how much did they cost. Also where did you get them besides the one places listed in this thread. I want to compare some prices before purchasing. thanks

R240NA

TommyyJ wrote:technoman

taking off the fan or just switching to the electrical setup?

Your car already has an electric fan. All DOHC KAs have an auxillary fan behind the shroud, it is more than sufficient to cool the motor under normal conditions. it comes on with the A/C automatically, or on low speed when temp reaches 202 degrees, high speed at 212. Hotter climates might give more problems, and the condition of the car's cooling system will affect it also. S14s have a larger radiator stock, so on S13s there may be more of a concern. By adding more electric fans, you're increasing the load on the alternator, so it's a wash either way. The UR pulley alone underdrives the alternator, so you'd want to get the full kit to bring it back up to regular charging output, especially if you are running larger fans.

technoman

Well I have been running these fans for about a year now with no problems. I live in Orlando and it's real hot here, like Africa hot! That electric stock fan is ugly as ****. I would never use that boat prop of a fan. My fans I put on their cycle on and off with the help of an adjustable relay and thermo switch. I don’t have big Amps or big speakers to pull down my batt. I know my alt works well because my batt is from 1997 when the car was built. ....

R240NA

I wasn't looking for an arguement, just stating facts. 2 fans pull more current than one, simple. I don't see a reason to drop money on something because the former part is "ugly", when you can better spend it elsewhere. Your car may be fine with your setup, others might not. Your alternator may be good too, but parts do go out, even unexpectedly, especially when charging a 6 year old battery.

BenBlanco615
Car: Loving My Girlfriend

Save your money and buy the full kit. They don't make a full kit for my Max, so I had to just get the crank. In my car, I did feel gains, but it wasn't dramatic. If they made a full kit, I'd be all over it. Just get the full kit. With the money spent, its probably worth the gains.

technoman

Good point R240. But I only have about 100 bucks invested in my fan set up.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”