PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
RCA

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQR49JGySTM[/youtube]

I don't know what to say...

Insane?

EDIT:
Second video with more detail:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY[/youtube]
Last edited by RCA on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

Dude...... One day..... I will own that.....

ThatGuyRoger
Car: 08 Super Black Altima Coupe 2.5S

so much want

orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

other than being shot by paintball guns I'd say this is pure awesome!

snwbrdr435
Car: 85 VW Westfalia, CBR F4i, SV650s, 1988 Honda Hawk(race)

Thats the only problem i have with it, paintball guns arent the most accurate things in the world.

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

snwbrdr435 wrote:Thats the only problem i have with it, paintball guns arent the most accurate things in the world.
Neither are 5th graders and spray & prayers, just saying.

This is so much EPIC WIN, do want... This can go in the same room of my McMansion that the Ultimate Forza setup will sit in.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'll be honest here: I don't see the appeal. The floor roller setup is goofy and would be unnatural to walk on. I also don't understand the point of holding a gun when you've got a gun appearing on screen also.

It seems a lot less like the "ultimate" FPS sim and more like an FPS projected on a wall with rollers on the ground. The FOV hasn't even been changed, it simply follows the player's eyeline.

More than anything, though, I just don't see the appeal of "simulating" that kind of thing. If I wanted to go shoot stuff in person, full body, I'd do that. Paintball or airsoft or just a shooting range. Games aren't about and have never been about 1:1 life:game. In fact those modern war games are about exactly the opposite. I just don't see the point. It adds nothing to the experience.

Maybe if the game involved were designed from the ground up around the device, it could be impressive. But projecting Modern Warfare 75 on a wall and putting rollers on the floor is not a "simulator." It's just a game on a wall.

RCA

Did you watch the whole thing?

Have you used that roller system before?

If you wanted to create the best 1 to 1 simulator for an FPS how would you go about doing it?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Yes, I watched the whole thing. Multiple times.

I'd probably use a lightweight but large-diameter sphere as the standing/walking surface. Large enough that it wouldn't "feel" round and wouldn't affect your gait. Gotta be careful not to get too heavy, though, or it won't accelerate naturally. But you should be able to easily use a thin, lightweight composite and be safe, especially if you hang it from a bearing-covered hemisphere beneath the player, with some shock absorbtion built into the hanger.
I also would have a full 360* viewport rendered all the time. Think about it: in the real world the stuff around you doesn't rotate to follow. There's no need to render only what you're seeing in the game. If something's off to your right you should be able to look over your shoulder and see it. There's no reason to stick to a consoleriffic 75* FOV.
And if you're going to use a handheld gun in the thing, USE IT, don't just make it aim the digital gun. Aiming down a real gunsight would add a lot to the immersiveness. You could actually have each of the separate guns you're carrying in-game on your physical self, and you could do something for magazine changes, perhaps have them on a tether so you can remove and replace without having to carry a bunch on you. Maybe integrate some kind of oscillating weight like a large-scale variant of the early DS Rumble Pak for recoil.

Simply adding the ability to walk around and use your arms to aim to a gamepad-oriented game doesn't make a sim. You can do that with Kinect for Hell's sake.

Chaotic_Warlord

You mean something like this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUeaUbW ... re=related[/youtube]

Granted you don't have the ball to walk on but it's essentially the same deal. The Army and larger Police Depts. have been using this style setup for a couple years now.

RCA

Chaotic_Warlord wrote:You mean something like this...
No. I mean like this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg8Bh5iI2WY[/youtube]
MinisterofDOOM wrote: I also would have a full 360* viewport rendered all the time....
And if you're going to use a handheld gun in the thing, USE IT, don't just make it aim the digital gun...
Simply adding the ability to walk around and use your arms to aim to a gamepad-oriented game doesn't make a sim. You can do that with Kinect for Hell's sake.
The second video does a better job explaining what exactly is going on. So far there isn't any thing better. The belt driven rollers do a great job of speed control. You can go from walking to brisk walking to jogging. Not sure what your gripes are about the gun setup is though.

Chaotic_Warlord

If Andy Mcnabb says its as good as the real deal then I'll take his word for it. The man is a real life bad a** with real life experience, he was a POW in Operation Desert Storm when him and his commando team were captured deep behind enemy lines. Read his book, and it was awesome.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Deserted area, rubber/wax bullets. Nothing better where shooting simulation is concerned. I've done paintball and airsoft, neither compare to wax/rubber bullets coming out of a real weapon. Not to mention cost effectiveness.

The USAF switched to virtual shooters awhile back for qualifying, awful awful idea. I think they switched back shortly after. You don't want a person handling a weapon that goes bang for the first time when they're aiming it at someone...or worse.

Just my .02

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

^ This
RCA wrote:If you wanted to create the best 1 to 1 simulator for an FPS how would you go about doing it?
Simunition

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

BusyBadger wrote:
RCA wrote:If you wanted to create the best 1 to 1 simulator for an FPS how would you go about doing it?
Simunition
Agreed. Nothing to invent or create. We have all kinds of "simunition" (love that word) already, for multiple weapons systems. Train like you play :cool:

Return to “Gaming”