UK Q70

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
jayramq70
Car: Q70 - soon

Hello
This is my first post on this site. i am from the UK, so probably in the significant minority here!
Infiniti is not a big brand in the UK, but they are trying to expand and now have 8 or so dealerships.
I have been researching like crazy for my next car which will be ordered in January and have shortlisted an Infinity Q70 - mainly because it offers good value compared to the German alternatives that I have been an owner of for years.
I have pretty much comapred every single thing between the Q70 and an A6, and BMW 5 series, but there is one thing I cant seem to get a straight answer on (despite asking the sales team at Infiniti) and that is the detail of the Connectiviti+ system.
In the Uk we do not get satellite radio and instead use DAB radio - radio is actually very important to me as I do 40k+ miles per year and like to tune in for regular shows on the road. I asked the dealer if the Q70 had DAB radio for the Uk and they said yes, but everything i read says no... I will find out for sure once i test drive the thing (great job Infiniti - they are letting me have the car for 48 hrs to test it), however I wonder does anyone have some detailed info on the connectiviti+ system for the Uk and services it offers (inc radio options)?

Thanks
John

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Welcome to the forum :). You might be our first UK owner, other than Larz (a moderator with a 2009)...but he's a UK transplant living in Florida.

As for the radio, I'm not sure I can answer that for you as I've never heard of DAB radio...but then again none of our members (from my knowledge) live in the UK.

jayramq70

IlyaKol wrote:Welcome to the forum :). You might be our first UK owner, other than Larz (a moderator with a 2009)...but he's a UK transplant living in Florida.

As for the radio, I'm not sure I can answer that for you as I've never heard of DAB radio...but then again none of our members (from my knowledge) live in the UK.
Hi thanks for the reply and I kinda figured I would be in a small group!
Dab Radio is the digital radio in the UK used in most cars. Satellite radio is not really used over here. Most new cars are fitted with DAB radio receivers/tuners now as the AM/FM radios of the past are at the beginning of the end (FM was supposed to phased out this year but is hanging on a while). Streaming via internet radio is always an option, but signal strength can be patchy up and down motorways.
I know Infiniti have added DAB to the Q50, so juts hope they added it to the Q70 in the 2015 upgrade as I have my heart set on the Q70S. Not quite an owner yet but will be come Jan (all being well with the test drive weekend).

John

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

THIS TopSpeed article says the 2016 Q50 is the first to a Bose's DAB system. Maybe the 2016 Q70 is the second?

THIS 2015 Q70 vs. A6 comparison says NO to DAB in the Q70. :gotme

THIS TopGear article also says no DAB in 2015 Q70 - "...there are some faults – DAB radio is missing..."

I would email or call Infiniti UK directly to be sure.

EMAIL
[email protected]

PHONE
(+44) 020 7048 3700
Monday to Saturday 8am to 5pm
Sunday 10am to 4pm

jayramq70

Debonair wrote:THIS TopSpeed article says the 2016 Q50 is the first to a Bose's DAB system. Maybe the 2016 Q70 is the second?

THIS 2015 Q70 vs. A6 comparison says NO to DAB in the Q70. :gotme

THIS TopGear article also says no DAB in 2015 Q70 - "...there are some faults – DAB radio is missing..."

I would email or call Infiniti UK directly to be sure.
Thank you for the links - 2 I had not seen before.
from the other online articles I read it also seems that there is no DAB, so I asked the dealer directly and they said yes, DAB is standard on the Q70S- very strange.
Moreover the enhanced Bose system seems to be standard on the Q70S - 16 speakers and noise cancellation tech and surround sound ...

I guess I will just have to wait till the test drive to know for sure - but I suspect it is missing. Still i can always get one of the in car wifi hotspots and stream from mobile.

jayramq70

So confirmed no DAB radio or concierge services.
Don't really mind though - an in car wifi dongle and a tunein radio subscription solves that and 4G coverage is improving daily.

I absolutely love the car after driving it. I am going for a 6 month old 2015 Q70 with the recent facelfit - 2.1 litre diesel Sport Tech (thats a european engine only i believe). Petrol / diesel costs here are not nice! This car has a claim of 60+ mpg on the motorway (I was seeing 55) and its still plenty quick enough.

jayramq70

..oh, and I have no idea why the British press is so negative about Infiniti cars. Very strange. Comparable to the German cars for quality in my view for much less money.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I think they are higher in quality, but that's just me. German cars look great from the outside, hate their interiors.

And dang, 2.1L diesel...people would revolt if that kind of motor made it into a luxury sedan here in the US lol.

jayramq70

IlyaKol wrote:I think they are higher in quality, but that's just me. German cars look great from the outside, hate their interiors.

And dang, 2.1L diesel...people would revolt if that kind of motor made it into a luxury sedan here in the US lol.
haha yes, 2.1L for the US I suspect would not work out so well, but in Europe its the absence of a smaller diesel that has been the problem. Many new cars over here are going down below 1L

rsilva800
Car: 94 Z32, 11 M37S , 01 Pathfinder

2.1L diesel. Sounds like a very small engine for such a heavy car. Then again its a diesel so it must have a lot of torque to move all that metal and plastic. Glad you are liking the car, do you have any pictures you can share? Interior and exterior? and also from the engine, I am very curious to see it.

Rob

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

rsilva800 wrote:Glad you are liking the car, do you have any pictures you can share? Interior and exterior? and also from the engine, I am very curious to see it.
Me too! I am curious how much space if left in the engine compartment.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

It's actually a 2.2 diesel option. As any diesel, it has loads of torque, but still takes nearly 9 sec to hit 62mph. However, the pay-off is that it returns mid to high 40's in mpg. I, personally, would buy one in a heartbeat, but I doubt many US buyers would get in a Q to buy one. The out-going M with the 3.0 diesel (made by Renault) was a much better performer all around.
The Q50 is actually much better suited for the 2.2 engine as it can return almost 60mpg.
As for the new Q70 diesel, it will likely not sell well even in Europe as other makers in the same range or slightly higher, provide so much more tech and performance. In fact, Infiniti sells about 2 cars per day in the UK, and pretty much none in Gemany. For example, here is a review from the 2011 Jag. It knocks the plums off even the 2016 infiniti.
https://youtu.be/9q0rGdm1UQI

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

IlyaKol wrote:And dang, 2.1L diesel...people would revolt if that kind of motor made it into a luxury sedan here in the US lol.
Indeed! :lolling:

Z

jayramq70

Yep 8.9 seconds to 60mph and a top speed of 137mph
But Europe is quite a bit diifferent to the US in terms of demand - there is plenty of power to do everything you need to , except I guess race!
As for MPG, our gallons in Europe are different to the US. Motorway MPG is about 55-60 (tested during test drive over 80+ miles)
I dont own this car - yet. I am buying in January, but had for 24hr test drive.
Love the car - it does actually feel quite quick as the torque from low revs is impressive.. car just seems to pull very well to from low speeds to 70-80mph (crusiing speed)

Larz

Well stated, Jay. I would absolutely buy a diesel if they offered one in the US market. And I believe the newer diesels have Merc engines instead of Renault as in the M30d. When US car buyers get as serious about fuel economy as the rest of the world, maybe more US car makers will offer them. In fact, if Infiniti would offer them in their Q50 and Q70 models, it would go a long way to making them more competitive with Mercs and BMs. Infiniti would do well to market them as a serious luxury / sport saloon with higher mpg and comparable luxury at a lower price than the Germans.

eurodaytona
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I thought the diesel version of the FX was the Infiniti FX 30d? Maybe that is the old name and they changed it in the recent years?

Larz

I have a mate in OZ (Australia) who drives an FX 30dS. He absolutely loves it. Unfortunately, they are more expensive then the Merc M'L's though. I'm not sure they are available in the UK. They only allow a few models from Infiniti. They have Q30, Q50, and Q70 for sure. In fact, you can get a very well equipped Q30 with the 2.2 diesel (64mpg-UK) for about 30k pounds (45k US)

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”