Uh oh, I'm about to look dumb. (Windows OS ?)

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Ok, I decided that I'm going to just have to buy an OS for my computer I built.

Window's 7 home premium 64bit OEM can be had for 100 shipped from Newegg so...

Here's what it says though...System Requirements: If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit) 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit) DirectX 9 graphics device with

Here's my question, why are the items bolded different? Why does one OS require more ram and HDD space than the other?

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

it depends on your processor.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

adrians_s13 wrote:it depends on your processor.
Why? I think I need my hand held through this one, because currently, I don't see any reason why either should require diff hardware.

BTW, I have a phenom 9950.

adrianfromthecastle
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

well, for example on Vista, more people, esp programmers choose 64 bit OS for its speed. You'll need the necessary hardware components to run that type of OS.

Hopefully someone more technical can elaborate on that...?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

It's feature-based. Just like Vista, Windows 7 can be operated with or without "Aero" goodies. And there are other new features for which MS recommends the higher system specs (like the new WinXP emulation mode). The different features are what affect hard drive usage variances.

The system requirements depends on what you want to do with the OS. Windows has become pretty modular and scalable, so a single set of system requirements no longer covers all the bases.

There's no reason to go 32 bit if you've got that phenom quad core, though. But from what I understand, all Windows 7 retail boxes will come with BOTH 32 and 64 bit editions...though I'm not sure how simple it'd be to switch from one to the other.

Remember that 32 bit OSs only support a MAXIMUM (before system overheads) of 4GB of RAM. 64 bit supports up to 16. So really, you should be going 64 bit just to enable your system to support enough ram to run it most efficiently.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

Yeah I had XP pro on it for a while and it could only recognize 3.25GB of my 4GB. So I want a 64bit OS and later get 4 more GB of ram (max mobo can handle), but when it recommended twice the ram as the 32bit OS, I then wondered if it was going to be eating up resources like crazy.

For scaleability, I want it to be a tad more stripped than my XP MCE because my computer's primary functions will be for internet, homework, and HTPC. So I need DX10 for Bluray, but I don't want to be running a 1GB page file.

I'll have to check more into W7, but I think the home premium version I was thinking of getting doesn't have the XP emulator/dual boot, whatever it is. W7 pro and ultimate do though.

Micron
Car: 2011 G37 Sport Sedan 6MT/2011 EX35 Journey AWD (Wife's)/2010 370Z (Project)

The reason the 64-bit requires more space is that it's not a PURE 64-bit OS. It has to have both 32 AND 64 bit libraries, otherwise your 32-bit applications would not be able to run.

As far as only seeing 3.25 out of 4GB, that's because your hardware is reserving memory holes. Depending on the BIOS, you can go in and remove those. Just going to a 64-bit OS will not necessarily free up that last 750MB.

And finally, 64-bit OSes support far, far more memory. Currently the Xeon 55xx series CPUs max out @ 388GB of RAM via custom server boards Cisco uses in their new Unified Datacenter servers. However, they can technically address up to 16 Exabytes of memory.

Many current shipping Intel i7 mobos can support 24GB out the door.

Looneybomber
10 G37S (white)

My mobo says it will support 8GB (4x2GB), so with a 64bit OS, it shouldn't be a problem seeing all 8GB if I upgrade? Maybe a little tweaking in the BIOS at most?

Micron
Car: 2011 G37 Sport Sedan 6MT/2011 EX35 Journey AWD (Wife's)/2010 370Z (Project)

Looneybomber wrote:My mobo says it will support 8GB (4x2GB), so with a 64bit OS, it shouldn't be a problem seeing all 8GB if I upgrade? Maybe a little tweaking in the BIOS at most?
Correct...

Also, you're correct with the "XP Mode." I'm not even sure that it's available to the Ultimate edition. I know for sure it's on Professional and Enterprise, though you can only get Enterprise through volume licensing.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

Interesting thing about Vista boxes...they don't indicate anywhere on the exterior of the case whether they are 32bit or 64bit. I went to best buy (I had a $100 card) to get a copy of vista home and specifically asked the monkey there to unlock the cage and get me a 64bit version of windows. Thinking I had my selected product in hand...I payed for it and went home. Once home I looked over every square inch of the box to check if I actually had the 64 bit version. It doesn't specifically state which one it is. My receipt didn't mention anything either. And lo and behold once I ripped open the package, read the key, and installed it, I was stuck with the 32-bit version.Thankfully after I called best buy and complained they gave be store credit to purchase an equivalent Windows 7. (This was months ago)

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

I have never seen a 64 bit version in a store for retail, unless it is a computer store. Not like Best Buy, where they sell computers, but a place like my local computer store.

The package is obviously 64 bit. There is no mistaking it. Also, you can contact Microsoft, and for a few dollars in shipping, they will send you the 64 bit copy, as long as you provide them with the key (to verify you actually have a legit copy) and the holographic numericals around the center of the CD, for your 32 bit version.

I am pretty sure it states that right inside the box.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

It does state it inside the box of course...but (admitadly) i spent a couple minutes looking on the outside of the bnox before i openeind it and i couldnt find anywhere where it says 64 bit or 32 bit...i dunno..maybe i'm just blind.But i will take your advice and send in the box to microsoft for the 64 bit version...I have 8gigs of ddr3 here working at half capacity.,m

The Siath
Car: 99 Nissan Maxima, Arctic Pearl White, VQ30de, 5MT.

Looneybomber wrote:Ok, I decided that I'm going to just have to buy an OS for my computer I built.

Window's 7 home premium 64bit OEM can be had for 100 shipped from Newegg so...

Here's what it says though...System Requirements: If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit) 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit) DirectX 9 graphics device with

Here's my question, why are the items bolded different? Why does one OS require more ram and HDD space than the other?
The 'bolded' items are required for the 64bit version, the non bolded for the 32bit version.

chemao
Car: 2019 Tesla Model 3 - preordered
1997V2 AM General H1 with 6.6L Duramax (LML) running biodiesel swap
2015 Lexus CT200H
2003 Hummer H2 with 6.5L Detroit Turbodiesel swap

Beancooker wrote:I have never seen a 64 bit version in a store for retail, unless it is a computer store. Not like Best Buy, where they sell computers, but a place like my local computer store.

The package is obviously 64 bit. There is no mistaking it. Also, you can contact Microsoft, and for a few dollars in shipping, they will send you the 64 bit copy, as long as you provide them with the key (to verify you actually have a legit copy) and the holographic numericals around the center of the CD, for your 32 bit version.

I am pretty sure it states that right inside the box.
Retail boxed Windows 7 software includes both 32 and 64 bit versions.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”