Uber/Lyft

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

Hi everyone,

I might be doing a career change due to some health issues that I have. I'm thinking of going and using my M56xS and driving for either or both Co. Has or is anyone else doing this and using an M for your driver.

I was going to do uber black but it is way too serious on licensing and insurance to do so. I do have a real nice car and I'm barely looking into doing this is I have to do a medical retirement.

Just trying to figure out what I will be doing if that happens.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Andy

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I too have toyed with this idea but as more of side-hobby. For me, I think the maintenance costs (not just gas but tires, etc.) wouldn't allow me to have it make it worth it. Plus, I don't want to get some drunk who pukes all up in my interior lol.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I think lots of us tinkered with the idea. I live on the ocean and I would get tons of riders all year long. But before I got to the point of contacting Uber or Lyft, I asked my insurance agent and she recommended a separate liability umbrella for my passengers, a switch UP to the highest coverage levels, and that my premium would more than double. Between that and driving while sharing the road with tourists in rental cars and questionable driving skills ... AND increased mileage and maintenance, it's just not worth it. I seriously do NOT want any other year M than mine and I dread the day when I am forced to chuck it for another car.
Oh, and Ilya makes a great point regarding vomit. I would be driving at night along A1A, carrying night clubbers so the chances of bodily fluids form all three orifices is pretty high, LOL.

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Larz wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:05 pm
Oh, and Ilya makes a great point regarding vomit. I would be driving at night along A1A, carrying night clubbers so the chances of bodily fluids form all three orifices is pretty high, LOL.
Larz, I almost puked from laughing so hard when I read that line... :cry:

GMBQ70
Car: 2015 Infiniti Q70 3.7 AWD

Ilya wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:30 pm
I too have toyed with this idea but as more of side-hobby. For me, I think the maintenance costs (not just gas but tires, etc.) wouldn't allow me to have it make it worth it. Plus, I don't want to get some drunk who pukes all up in my interior lol.
This is so true! Especially the puking part. :nono:

EdBwoy

I don't think the margins would be that good after fuel and maintenance of the 5.6 vehicles. The margins would be marginally better with the V6, but the real profit maker would have to be a hybrid version - but then some consideration would have to be paid to luggage handling. The hybrids have about 3/4 the trunk space volume of the conventional ones.

If you focused on longer distances, such as airport trips and those were mainly highway routes; maybe the V8 would be a worthy contender to the non-hybrid V6. You'd still have a considerably higher maintenance cost in the long run.

Client comfort & entertainment
I find the back seats of most cars to be boring, but that's because I'm a driver first, not merely a traveler - my very subjective opinion.
I assume the rear of the Y51 would be extremely boring due to the non-existent creature comforts or doodads to play with back there.
What I'm saying is that after paying for one executive ride in an M37 or M56, I'd be left wondering if the experience was worth it over say, riding in a Passat or Kia Optima. But it has relatively little road noise.

For ride and comfort, the sport-designated versions of these vehicles are a little harsh (including the AWD sport like your M56xS), and isn't exactly what I would want coming off a 4-hour flight.
The base models are way more comfortable; in general the passenger seats are more comfortable than being in the driver seat.

Maybe none of these matter to your current situation, and neither would they to most other passengers. After all, when I travelled a lot for work, all I cared for was a clean car and relatively quiet ride when I needed to rest. I got all that from very many different economy cars - again, for most cars the rear seats are more comfortable than front ones.

You know your individual market better, and I bet there exists a calculator for such decisions: "how much more money can I make by upgrading to a larger luxury car and taking executive passengers?"
For example this article from 2015 - https://www.hyrecar.com/blog/uberx-vs-uberblack/. You just have to factor in your maintenance & operation costs that far exceed that of a Hyundai Elantra.

Godspeed on your career decision, and may your decision work in favor of your health.

* When I travelled, on most of my longer trips with odd-hour arrivals & departures, I would get older people as Uber drivers. Retirees, people still employed, people with their own businesses, stay-at-home parents etc... I like talking to people & sharing stories. For the most part, they said Uber was still profitable for them. I particularly enjoyed a 2 hour ride talking to a guy operating as an LLC.

Malbec 56 Beast
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy

This wouldn't be full time, it would be for extra cash if I have to take a medical. I spoke to a friend at work and he's doing real well and he actually drives down to my area to make the money. It isn't that I want to its just that I may need to ask I can pay off my bills.

Andy

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

From my experience with Uber where I live, it's usually a small crossover or a small sedan like a Toyota Corolla. I have hired executive transport for travel to take from home to the airport and back and I usually get a Lincoln Town Car or similar. I see many Ubers driving brand new cars and I wonder if they will have trouble with warranty coverage because they used the car as livery? Warranty companies insurance companies, and banks can easily find out if your car was ever registered with Uber or Lyft and they will cancel coverage if you did not notify them and pay the additional fees they might require.

EdBwoy

Malbec 56 Beast wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:12 pm
This wouldn't be full time, it would be for extra cash if I have to take a medical. I spoke to a friend at work and he's doing real well and he actually drives down to my area to make the money. It isn't that I want to its just that I may need to ask I can pay off my bills.

Andy
I see, but my argument still stands. I was giving points as to whether it's a good idea to use an Infiniti M56 as an Uber car.
What kind of car does your coworker/friend drive?

Part time or full time wouldn't matter to the car. It's still wear & tear being put in the pursuit for money - I'm just trying to point out the money you get back might not net a very good profit.

However, I know someone who only did Uber on the commute to & from work. The airport rides more than paid for the fuel she was going to spend on those trips anyway. She set her own work schedule & worked close enough to the busy airport, that her time wasn't lost in the inefficiencies of waiting for riders.

As I pointed out in my first point, the most successful people in my area that I came across, are people who had plenty of "free time". It seems that the medical retirement would give you a little more time, so that's a plus.

Malbec 56 Beast
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy

I really do appreciate all your comments
If I get medically retired it would help me to get out of the house and meet people. Ya there are negatives and I may see that it's not for me. IF I really enjoy it I'll use my wife's car if it isn't working out with the M. There are options That can work with our cars that we own.

In the end keeping busy is a good thing.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

I drove my M37S for Uber one night. Mainly just out of curiosity. Based on my very short experience I judged it monetarily not feasible. I think if you can get into the black car level, the rate advantage may make it a different story. As uber X (standard), I think your maintenance cost and gas cost will make it not worth your while. Of course there's also the value of your time that needs to be factored in.

Either way, good luck - let us know how it goes.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Uber, Lyft drivers in Dallas having cars treated for bedbugs
Don Brooks, a Dallas-based exterminator says he regularly treats ride-share cars for bedbugs. "I probably do five to 10 rideshare cars per week," Don Brooks, owner of Doffdon Pest Control, told Dallas news station WFAA.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Rogue One wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:17 am
Uber, Lyft drivers in Dallas having cars treated for bedbugs
Don Brooks, a Dallas-based exterminator says he regularly treats ride-share cars for bedbugs. "I probably do five to 10 rideshare cars per week," Don Brooks, owner of Doffdon Pest Control, told Dallas news station WFAA.
Great, now I'm going to be worried about getting into a rideshare car and bringing them home with me.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”