U12

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
omzin

I drive a u12 chassis, 1992 canadian spec Stanza, i understand that there are a number of engine swaps capable for the U12, sr20/ka24de(t)/ca18det i was wondering if anyoen can inform me on how much a ca18det swap is, considering the car has this engine in Japan, anyone who has done anyof these swaps?? Can you tell me how it is/drives. thnkx

U12 2NR

Well the Stanza comes with the ka24e, there is no such thing as a ka24et, you have to turbo it yourself and then add the T :)

As far as engine swaps, i can't say much about the ca18det, but i can tell you first hand that sr20det swaps have been done to Stanzas.

Sleeper is an understatement.

omzin

Sleeper is my weapon of choice(i used to drive a 1990 240sx,can't pay for insurance anymore so its Stanza and my motorbike),

although the KA 24e alread yhas 138hp id like something with wayyyy more pep than the truck engine, and i need to save gas to save for a turbo, ironic yeah i know.so any sr20 front wheel tranny engine will fit? any suggestions on pricing?

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

i believe the sr2odet FWD trany can be pulled from a pulsar, i kno wthey had the AWD option as well, but i think some were FWD, and the ca18det swap wouldnt cost as much as the sr2o (sr's are overpriced now that everyone and their mom uses em). And yes, any FWD tranny (sr tranny anyway, turbo or not ) will fit, might need a better clutch, or beef it up some, but as far as fitment works fine

omzin

nlzmo400r wrote:i believe the sr2odet FWD trany can be pulled from a pulsar,
?? i thought it was a ca18de in pulsars(canada)

NeedCAforS13
Car: E21 320i
HJ75 Land Cruiser

its in US pulsars too! but in N/A form makes 130ish hp...

check this CA18DET U12...its sick:D

http://images.cardomain.com/me...l.jpg

I want to do one of these for my next project! Does anyone have any U12 CA18 experience?

Sean

Asleep Altima
Car: Turbo Altima, SR'd S13

ka24de is not a truck engine.

NeedCAforS13
HJ75 Land Cruiser

yep it is... check under the hood of a Frontier genius;)

Sean

U12 2NR

you guys are stupid. when nissan was asking us what engines to put into stanzas/altimas you should have voted for something better. oh wait, we didn't have a choice.

nlzmo400r

no matter which way u look at it, the ka24 was in teh frontier pickup cfirst, and was designed for it, so basically it is a truck engine, but it owrked as a decent 'sports' car engine as well

Asleep Altima

NeedCAforS13 wrote:yep it is... check under the hood of a Frontier genius;)

Sean
ummm, excuse me genius, what year did the frontier come out? ummm, what year did the ka24DE come out? thats what i thought... do your homework before you make stupid comments. like i said, the ka24de is not a truck engine. Brief history need more info genius or can you find it yourself, thats what i thought too, heres some more; More history make sure you read it all too, not just what you want to see. im glad youre so smart. :rolleyes:

and just for the record, the frontier didnt come out till 2000 and the ka(de version) came out at the end of the 80's.

NeedCAforS13
HJ75 Land Cruiser

Neither of those links show the twin cam as coming out in the late 80s? The first thing they have listed as using a KA24DE is the 93 Altima?

And quit trying to start crap, All I said was that the KA24DE is in a truck (the frontier) hence it is a truck motor! (and the frontier came out in 1998, not 2000) Lighten up dude...jeez

Sean

Asleep Altima

im not trying to start crap, and definitely not with a mod, but the thing is, sport compact made that statement once and now the altima community and probably you guys too, are stuck with it. they make it sound like the ka took a back seat to some truck, when its not the way it was. the ka started its life in a car, in japan it made its way into some trucks but its not one. so i was wrong a couple years on the frontier, i stand corrected, but still the ka was out before all that. im done, no crap started. :)

NeedCAforS13
HJ75 Land Cruiser

lol good deal:D i hear where you're coming from...

Sean

U12 2NR

yep, sure is a shame when you have your own fellow nissan brothers looking down on the motor as a truck engine...gives permission to everyone else to just bag on it like it's a piece of sh*t.

NeedCAforS13
HJ75 Land Cruiser

truck engine doesn't mean its a piece of shi*t dude... it means its reliable, and tough, and torquey...its just not something generally regarded as "high performance" material...

however, the vg30e is used in the OLD pickups and also in the Z31...so i guess it might be an exception to that:D

Sean

U12 2NR

Sure, I understand that, you understand that. But lets be honest with each other. When people say "it's a truck motor", are they saying it's a reliable torque tough engine? NO. They're dismissing it as a piece of sh*t, can't rev for it's life motor, that's meant for a truck and can't perform in a car.

nlzmo400r

uhnfortunately u12 2nr is right, most people regard truck engine as 'crap', but its a dam ngood truck engine, and for it stime, it was more powerful than almost any soprt compact

Asleep Altima

not a truck engine.

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

it started it's life in the 91 240sx. Don't try to give your jellybean altima any credit for anything.

nlzmo400r

who said it came out in the altima first? We were saying it came out in the s13 (well the argument was that or the nissan pickup)

Asleep Altima

i never said that. all im saying is its not a truck motor. and youre agreeing with that by your statement.

nlzmo400r

right, thats what i was getting out of that too

OneFastStanza
Car: '02 SE-R Spec V, '92 Stanza, '97 Maxima, '04 Vue Redline. '04 F250

Alright enough with the truck motor argument. I have heard it many many times before and I could really care less anymore. Who cares. The motor was fairly competant in the Stanza compared to other cars in the same class from those years even though it is not anything great to todays standards.

As for the CA18 drop. I do not know of anyone that has done it but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I am sure it could fit in relatively easily with prolly a little modification.

I am personally working on finishing a SR20DET swap into my Stanza so hopefully I can give more info on that when it gets closer to done. I know at least one other person has done it for Autralia into his Pintara (same as the Stanza) and it was successful. I don't know if he is on TeamNSEs website anymore but he used to be. I'll try to get a little more info from him and post up so hopefully he can clarify a few things.

davehoos

Australian U12 pintaraBLUEBIRD [ford corsairSTANZA]had the KA24 i cant remember if it was dohc but it was 4 valve per cyl.the D21 only had 3 valve droped on a Z24 block.the U13 bluebird had a KA24DE but are no race car..

Sr20 intercooled would be my choise from a N14 or later gtir im told the bluebird motors are detuned.[easy to fix]

AWD gear box is a bit hard to fit to a front drive only shell but a gear box out of a front drive U12/U12 should do the job.even if you swap internals to get ratios.

nlzmo400r

OneFastStanza wrote:Alright enough with the truck motor argument. I have heard it many many times before and I could really care less anymore. Who cares. The motor was fairly competant in the Stanza compared to other cars in the same class from those years even though it is not anything great to todays standards.

As for the CA18 drop. I do not know of anyone that has done it but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I am sure it could fit in relatively easily with prolly a little modification.

I am personally working on finishing a SR20DET swap into my Stanza so hopefully I can give more info on that when it gets closer to done. I know at least one other person has done it for Autralia into his Pintara (same as the Stanza) and it was successful. I don't know if he is on TeamNSEs website anymore but he used to be. I'll try to get a little more info from him and post up so hopefully he can clarify a few things.
u still have hte se-r right? what are your goals for the stanza

OneFastStanza

Yeah I still have my Spec. Won't get rid of either car unless I get something phat like a M3 sitting in my garage :D

As for the Stanza right now I am still planning on dropping the SR20DET and prolly just turn the boost up on the stock setup but I will run on the T25 turbo for a little while. The kit I have for it I still need to make everything fit as well as the Skyline tails. I will lose the wing and look for a wing that lays flat to the trunk lid kinda like the Black Widow wings. I may get Composite Creations to work on a CF hood for it also when I get stuff moving along.

nlzmo400r

yea, all takes money, and how much do those 'drag style' wings cost?

OneFastStanza

It depends on what kind you get and who makes it. The Black Widow drift style wings run about $300 in fiberglass and the drag style like I have in CF I think ran me $300 (it is a generic wing). However some CF ones could run you as much as $1G like if you were to get a APR one at retail.

nlzmo400r

OneFastStanza wrote:It depends on what kind you get and who makes it. The Black Widow drift style wings run about $300 in fiberglass and the drag style like I have in CF I think ran me $300 (it is a generic wing). However some CF ones could run you as much as $1G like if you were to get a APR one at retail.
yea in the latest Road and Track, they have a Cwest wing (CF) on the back of a 35oZ and it cost i think around 18oo or so, thats fukin nuts, looks badass on a 35o though

Return to “Altima General Discussions”