Two Engines....in a CRX?????????

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
trpower7

Ok, check this out. So I'm talking to a guy outside my local AutoZone, and he points to his CRX sitting in the parking lot. Now this guy was fairly knowledgeable about Nissans, and our 240s. Then he tells me that he is about to put TWO SR20DET engines in it, and make it all-wheel drive. Now about a million alarm bells went ringing in my head at this point, so I just kind of nodded and said "Uh huh", but I'm about a hundred percent sure this could NEVER work. Someone tell me if something like this is even possible without tens of thousands of dollars and an engineering degree in just about every different respect. I mean, I can't even begin to list the things wrong with this idea......

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

there would have to be some sort of custom differential linking the two motors together so one is never going faster then the other, but the computers would have to be aware....ah hell...it's impossible. The guys full of BS.

MikeS14240sx

It's possible with money. I've seen a video of a 2 engine awd hyndai tibran(hell i don't know how to spell it) It was on one of the car mag sites like scc or something like that a while back. It had an engine driving the front wheels and an engine driving the back wheels.

Anyone know which video i'm talking about?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

No, but there IS a twin-engined CRX somewhere in the US... When I had my 84 Si I had an article about it... Seems to me that the engines were identical 4 cyls with multicarb setups. Each had a LSD to compensate for minor diff's in RPM's...

Wish I could find something about it... I'll bet Dees remembers it.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Mike - Send me a couple pix of your exhaust (I can't open them). What mufflers are you running?

What year is your car? Nice...

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

People have been using multi engines to power the rear wheels for years. But putting 2 sr20det's in a CRX thats a dif. story.Then making it all wheel drive is way out there!LOL :freak

ser chicken
Car: cars, water and writing

did no one read the ultimate street car challenge in Sport Compact Car... the hyundai tiburon that ran off two seperate menthanol burning turbo engines?!?! it was one engine in the front, and one in the back, both leading to automatics.he did the most insanely chassis destroying burnout ever... front engine in reverse, rear engine in forward, and mash the go pedal!bwah! why do so many people in here believe that there are things that cant be done? i have seen mid/rear layouts in crx's before, with all kinds of different motors. do that along with an engine in the front compartment, run custom shafts with honda outer c/v's and nissan splines. then link the throttles and balance the two engines together (its just like running multiple carbs/throttle bodies) and vwallah!okay.. granted theres no "vwallah" about it... and it would be hard as hell... requiring tube chassis and crazy customizations to the rear suspension. but possible.. deffinitlydisbelievers!-pete s

sultan

i remember seeing in either car and driver or motor trend a two engine cadillac. they just put one engine in the trunk and linked them somehow (can't remember).

I H8 UR DSM

but i still bet this 'autozone' employee is a toolbox, and is reading too many super street mags....he will never save up enough loot working at autozone : )

ser chicken
Car: cars, water and writing

the level of tool-potential that the autozone employee probably has is particularly high... im just sayin it could be done. and not even for that much money if the enginuity of the person in question is high enough (also thier ability to weld and acquire materials)either way... autozone/pep boys (etc) is the toolbox for rice! "excuse me.. could you point me to the lighted exhaust tips?"-Pete "rice done properly makes sleeper" S.

MikeS14240sx

ser chicken wrote:did no one read the ultimate street car challenge in Sport Compact Car... the hyundai tiburon that ran off two seperate menthanol burning turbo engines?!?! it was one engine in the front, and one in the back, both leading to automatics.he did the most insanely chassis destroying burnout ever... front engine in reverse, rear engine in forward, and mash the go pedal!bwah! why do so many people in here believe that there are things that cant be done?

Thats the video i was talking about. It was the craziest burnout cause the car just spun around like a top.

AZhitman
Administrator

The Caddy engines weren't linked. 2 FWD 500cid Eldo engines.

Then MOSLER built a twin-engined Caddy in the early to mid 90's with 2 Northstars. Do a search for Mosler and Cadillac.

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

I've seen a twin-V8 Jeep. Front engine drives rear wheels, rear engine drives front wheels. They removed the engine, tranny, transfer case, running gear, and stripped it down to the frame. Removed all motor and tranny mounts. Welded mounts front and back for two 302's with trannies. Cut the tub, to fit over the rear engine, and trimmed the firewall to fit the front. The engines were from 2X4 Ford trucks I believe... and they used the stock Ford axles and everything on the Jeep. The only real trick was linking the throtte, and trannies to syncronize, and reversing rotation on the front axle. But it was TOTALLY unstreetable!!! On pavement, the tires would chirp every few seconds, becuase they were spinning at ever-so-slightly different rates. In the mud.... it kicked A$$!!!!!!!! 44" Super Swamper TSL Boggers helped as well!

Return to “General Chat”