Twisted Metal fans

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
alms24sebring
Car: '97 Nissan 240sx. First Nissan. First love. Sold.
'04 Nissan Sentra SER SpecV

The new Twisted Metal came out today. As a person that was a fan since TM1 and has followed religiously, I am very happy there is a new one since TM: Black (The best one IMO). There are a few changes and new up to date gameplay. In story mode, you are Sweettooth wanting to wish for his girlfriend/wife to come to him so he can kill her. So far I think its ok.

As far as keeping it classic I think there are a few changes that should not have been made. My biggest issue is controls. R2 was always machine guns not weapon fire. 2nd it sort of hard to tell what weapon I have since it doesnt tell me the name when I select it. I wish you could also play as other characters like all the others, even though you can play in other vehicles. It could also have alittle more evil feel to it.

As far as being good, I like the story mode and the levels are pretty large and creative. Sweettooth has always been my favorite personality so I guess Im glad he the main character. They played him pretty well. Multiplayer from what I have played is also good and preety smooth. There are new weapons and drivable cars. I also like the secondary special weapons, great addition.

For any TM fans, its no Black (so far), but it may be worth getting for the fun. The special edition came with TM: Black as a dl from the psn store so I am very happy with that as well.
Last edited by alms24sebring on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

takethewall
Car: 1994 300zx n/a, 1998 I30

Thinking of getting this... I've always been a huge TM fan. But I'm buying a Vita so I don't know where I want to spend my money...

I was going to Redbox it, but I guess there is an online pass? It says there is no online multiplayer available when you rent it... which is a large part of why I want to play it. So we'll see...

alms24sebring

Yeah the game came with an online pass on the user manual. Single player is still fun though

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'm picking this up as soon as I get my paycheck Friday. I've been looking forward to it for a while. I also agree that Black was the best of the series up to this point, so I'm hoping for more along those lines. Online multiplayer is exactly what Twisted Metal has always needed. Online multiplayer is what turned Mario Kart 7 from a distraction into a regularly played game for me, and I'm hoping it'll be the same with Twisted Metal.

alms24sebring

To edit the op. In story mode you play as sweettooth until you get his wish, then you play as Mr. Grimm right after (the actual character always changes), and then you will play as someone else. After playing it more I like single player. Its starting to get difficult but not impossible, which is good. But, the TM servers were down all day so I didnt get to play online. weak..

takethewall
Car: 1994 300zx n/a, 1998 I30

The more I hear about this, the more I want it. Right now my dilemma is if I should get a 16gb memory card for my Vita, or pick this up. I thiiiiink I'm going to buy this next week and hold off on the card for a bit. Seems like a lot of people are liking it.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Decided to get Twisted Metal. I'm not sure it's worth more than $40, but it's definitely fun. The biggest challenge for me is getting used to the ultra-arcadey controls. I see cars and expect at least semi-realistic behavior and there's none of that here. Which is great, but requires a change in thinking.

I've also noticed some pretty significant lag issues in online play. While it's not very noticable while playing, spectator mode really makes it apparent. The matchmaking system needs work, too. The "quick online match" button is a complete lie. The first time I used it it put me in a Ranked Match, which doesn't allow new players to join in progress. So I got to sit in a lobby for several minutes before backing out and trying again. About as un-quick as possible. Why even include Ranked games in quick-match if they can't be joined in-progress? The second attempt sat there with the loading icon spinning away for a couple minutes before plunking me into an empty lobby to wait for 5 more players to fill out the minimum playercount for the match. Also not quick. Meanwhile the non-quick-match game browser showed a dozen games with 10+ players in progress, just waiting to be joined.

I really wish controls were remappable, though. None of the 3 stock control schemes are perfect, though the Race setup is definitely the best. I don't want brake on R1, and I don't want weapon cycling on triangle and circle. I also don't like L3 as target swap.

alms24sebring

Yeah i found the same problem with coneecting to games. I get ALOT of server error codes.

The controls may be my biggest complaint. I really really wish I could customize them to my liking, but I stick to classic, which isnt classic at all.

Return to “Gaming”