twin turbos!

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
TomsMR2
Car: cars.. etc

about where would 2 T25's spool at?

im thinking about twin turbos because:

it would spool slower, eating less gas just farting around town.

T25's are cheap as hell, but one doesnt flow enough.

twin turbos are just freakin cool :)

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

You can get a bigger single to sppol slower by chosing the right trim.

You can get a bigger single for real cheap if you look around.

Twins are cool, but alot more expensive.

WD

JESTER
Car: 2004 Chevy Colorado Bright a** red. 3.5 five cylinder

I dont think it has been done. If so, I have never heard of it.

I have heard many people say that twins on a 4 banger is pointless. I would personally like to see someone do it just for the heck of it. You are gonna have to fab or pay some one to fab a crap load of parts.

Anyway, have at it, and tell me how it goes.

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

a big single won't spool either and will be cheaper in the long run when compared to a custom twin setup.

motoki

I've heard of a four turbo setup for a wrx. But that was from my nephew that went to japan. Not sure if he's bs'ing me.

themadscientist

response on those pancake fours is bad enough as it is.

TomsMR2

its just another flange on the manifold, and a y-pipe. its not incredibly hard. im not talking about siquential (?) turbos (one big, one small). just 2 plain old small turbos running at the same time.

TomsMR2

WDRacing wrote:You can get a bigger single for real cheap if you look around.

im not sure anyone can beat the ~$90 price for small used turbos :)

JESTER

Do it, to it. I want to see a twin 240.

JESTER

A t3 in the junk yard doesn go real expensive. It makes decent power and the boost creep is minimal.

But I still want to see a twin system.

TomsMR2

im working on parts.. you'll see some sort of turbo'd 240's by me soon. i have the knowledge and money, so the project should be slowly unfolding by mid summer :)

themadscientist

you double all your trouble with a second turbo. Two oil supply lines, two oil drains, two water feed lines(if using water cooled ones), two inlets Teed together to your one flow meter, two outlets from the turbos, custom manifold to mount two turbos etc. when you are done you have an expensive needlessly complex setup that does not respond any faster or produce any more power than a good sized simple off the shelf single. You WILL spend more money and you WILL deal with more problems to be SLOWER.:confused: You are going to do what you want anyway, good luck.

TomsMR2

^ that really isnt that much harder. you need a custom manifold regardless... seeing as im making my own, its just a matter of another flange. oil lines arent much of a problem either. its actually kinda simple, just a few extra parts, its definately not overtly complex.

the turbos should see less stress too, so intake temps could be lower with 2 turbos blowing X psi, vs 1 turbo blowing X psi. it shouldnt be any slower.

themadscientist

as I said, good luck.

TomsMR2

thank you :) .. as for right now, its just an idea. i might be reasonable and go single lol

themadscientist

I am not against twin but to do it in the name of economy is kind of silly. Now if you want to do it just to be sick and over the top I am all for it. I'd put a T66 on the wife's CA18 if I thought she wouldn't kill herself with it:eek:

TomsMR2

.. the idea was leaning more towards the "sick and over the top". :) the fact that i can do it cheaply too is just a bonus.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

I agree with you....a little more trouble, but it's going to take some work regardless. And, replacing the turbos if something goes wrong (which I hate to say it, but not out of the question by any means) would be VERY cheap if you're using T25s.

I would love to see it too actually. It doesn't have to make sense. It would definitely be fun....not to mention original.

TomsMR2

the obsurd availability of T25's is a huge plus.. if anything goes wrong, downtime would be minimal.

MainEvent212

man this is gonna be so kick *** :D

SloMoe
Car: Fast Cars, Music, Girls

Ive seen a TT setup on an S15 in a JDM tuner magazine. I cant read Japanese, so I dont have any numbers, or responses to how it perfromes. Not sure if it was sequential or parallel either, but it looked pretty sick!

cow
Car: beep beep

Uh. TT setups on a 4 cylinder are pretty worthless, IMO. The only redeeming value is saying "hey look at what I did." I saw a pic of a TT SR20 but I can't remember where.

You want slow spool? You'll have it in spades. I think you will be lucky if you get decent spool at all. It will run like *** IMO. It's just not a very good idea. The KA is too small. You need more cylinders and more displacement for 2 turbos. Ideally a V8.

If you're honestly that concerned about fuel economy in your heavily modified car, why not just stay out of boost when you're driving around town? That seems far more practical to me..

But what do I know? I DO own a Honda after all.. :P

themadscientist

a 2.4 can push two turbos, like any turbo car, selection of all the parts is the thing that will make or break it.

cow

CAN.. but it's severely impractical, not to mention completely pointless.

themadscientist

read my previous posts, I agree about impractical and pointless but it can work and effectively but the complexity, expense and increased possibilty of problems makes it only worth "shock value"

TomsMR2

2.4L is enough to push 2 small turbos, without a doubt.

i think 2 turbos would pull stronger up top than 1... efficiency ratings etc etc. its easier to pump 1000cfm (random number) outta 2 pumps than 1. ive got a feeling a T3's gonna fall on its face @ ~5200 rpm, no?

themadscientist

T3? get serious, I'm talking T78 minimum when I say "single":D If I did a twin on a KA I would want twin 3037S HKS turbines!

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

I think the T3 falling on its face, would be a function of boost levels, a T3 fed a 3.0l VG30 to 10psi easy enough..

I think a set of small turbos would be neat, but my main concern would be trying to spool even a small turbo(like the t25) with effectively a 2-cylinder 1.2l engine. SUpposing you got an aerocharger, or a VATN or full-ball bearing unit to reduce the lag, and increase the efficiency overall, it might be quite fun, as it would provide a smooth power band so long as it spooled, but as MS says, the complexity involved is ludicrous, much like the tripple turbo supra I have seen....

-chet

cow

Yeah.. uh.. thats the other thing I forgot to mention. Half as many cylinders + half as much displacement = VERY VERY little spooling power. You have to consider not only displacement but the number of cylinders; you have half as many exhaust pulses per revolution this way. Not to mention 2 very tiny turbos will flow less than 1 decently sized turbo. Ok? Cool.

I knew I was forgetting some important stuff..

Moral of the story = waste of time, again IMO. Although you could get decent results with a VERY small (think GT12) BB turbo.

TomsMR2

there was an MR2 twin VATN turbo. spooled fast, created tons of boost and power.. then again, those were VATN's.

exar-kun: twin turbos arent complex. the "one large, one small" twin turbos, like supra TT's are complex, with bypasses etc etc.

btw, i was planning on having them on the same log, so all 4 cyls push both turbos, not just 2 on each.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”