Twin Turbo wheels

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

I know several of the members have the 300ZXTT wheels on their Qs. I am curious at just how much people are paying for them. I'm seeing a few on the web in the 650 range and new ones can be had for about 240 each.

If you have them, let the rest of us know what they cost.

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

I was negotiating with a friend to buy them, and to come up with a price he spoke with some of his Z friends and said the going market for used wheels was $225 each, but he would sell them to me for $175 (which I thought was high). We never agreed on a final price since I decided not to get them.

His are a full set from a '95 twin turbo, different front/rear sizes. See my recent post, or e-mail me if you might be interested.

landtodd

The Nissan factory wheels are very strong, and they have the blessed balancing lip. Compared to most aftermarket wheels in the "under $200 range,", you would be better off with steel. The Nissan alloys are worth the premium, and 16" seems about optimal for the Q. (Much larger and you get too much of the wheels' weight at the circumference. Ask Dennis about that . . . )

As Dennis pointed out some months ago, people regularly see crappy new wheels for $125 per, and begin to assume that's what wheels should cost. Well, that's what new junk costs. Used Nissan alloys for $150 per is a relative bargain.

In the great Bell Curve of the market, do you ever find dressy new wheels for less than $125? Almost never, because that is the bottom of the market, the cheapest you can buy.

Most people have no means of evaluating an aftermarket wheel, except for the shine.

This is a case of getting what you pay for. I paid $640, shipping included, for a set of 4 16 x 8.5 (back wheels from two different 300ZXTTs).

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Sounds like a great deal Todd!

Was that you who posted pics of 16's on a Q on the old site?

Fred...:)

ardvarkus

I paid $640 for a set of 4 16x7.5

Including shipping from PA to CA

Including truing, sandblasting and repainting: silver plus gloss clearcoat (not like the flat silver original finish)

Including center caps without the Z emblem.

They also had mixed sets and 8.5" sets.

This was in Jan.

Adam

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

When you buy new wheels take them to a Hunter 9700 machine and have the wheels tested alone. Mark the inside with a punch as to the weights necessary to bring them perfectly in balance---should be less than 7 grams inside and out!Monitor this every few years to determine replacement time as almost noone can straighten them to spec [economically less than $100 each].

99% of the cheapos under $250 each won't stay and will bend under the Q stress......Even the 94 polished pan wheels will only stay good for a 70,000 miles. I am on my third set of new factory wheels.Every set of aftermarket wheels even some of the most expensive BBS have a finite life. Forged wheels will last double what cast will and high pressure cast somewhere in between!

Tires mostly start out round and conform to the wheels. If the tires are strong enough the forces deform the wheels.

Then there are curb hits.

Notice there are no specifications provided with wheels, when you mount tires on them they are yours period ----- no right of return.So always have them tested before you mount them!Something Tire Rack doesn't want you to know.The other problem is few people put aftermarket wheels on 4300 pound cars so most wheels that fit Nissan assume a lighter car.

The 300zxtt wheels while made for a 600 pound lighter car assummed it would be driven in an agressive way hopefully the two balance out .......thats why 16x8 or greater all around!

Almost every LS and Q we see [at least 30 customers] with 17/18 have serious wheel problems.When you mount Michelin Pilots and they require more than 10 [on a side] grams you know you have a wheel problem! Same with lesser tires but the limits might be 15-19 grams.

Your service manual contains the wheel specs and they are pretty tight.....no more than 0.012" of runout in any plane plus no more than 7 grams to balance!

landtodd

palmerwmd wrote:Was that you who posted pics of 16's on a Q on the old site?
No, but those same pix inspired me to buy mine!

Dennis -- interesting wheel info. Thanks.

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Q45tech wrote:When you buy new wheels take them to a Hunter 9700 machine and have the wheels tested alone. Mark the inside with a punch as to the weights necessary to bring them perfectly in balance---should be less than 7 grams inside and out!Monitor this every few years to determine replacement time as almost noone can straighten them to spec [economically less than $100 each].

99% of the cheapos under $250 each won't stay and will bend under the Q stress......Even the 94 polished pan wheels will only stay good for a 70,000 miles. I am on my third set of new factory wheels.Every set of aftermarket wheels even some of the most expensive BBS have a finite life. Forged wheels will last double what cast will and high pressure cast somewhere in between!

Tires mostly start out round and conform to the wheels. If the tires are strong enough the forces deform the wheels.

Then there are curb hits.

Notice there are no specifications provided with wheels, when you mount tires on them they are yours period ----- no right of return.So always have them tested before you mount them!Something Tire Rack doesn't want you to know.The other problem is few people put aftermarket wheels on 4300 pound cars so most wheels that fit Nissan assume a lighter car.

The 300zxtt wheels while made for a 600 pound lighter car assummed it would be driven in an agressive way hopefully the two balance out .......thats why 16x8 or greater all around!

Almost every LS and Q we see [at least 30 customers] with 17/18 have serious wheel problems.When you mount Michelin Pilots and they require more than 10 [on a side] grams you know you have a wheel problem! Same with lesser tires but the limits might be 15-19 grams.

Your service manual contains the wheel specs and they are pretty tight.....no more than 0.012" of runout in any plane plus no more than 7 grams to balance!
Hunter 9700 is a bad-a** wheel/tire balancer. I just wanted to point that out :D

ardvarkus

palmerwmd wrote:Was that you who posted pics of 16's on a Q on the old site?

Fred...:)
That be me.

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com...iew=t

(Probably need to paste this into the url)

Adam

Sopdadope

How about Supra TT rims? They're 17x9.5 rear and 17x8.5 fronts. Many people have gone to these rims sizes without sacrificing ride quality too much. Also tons of 300ZX guys have put the Supra rims on without problem so it should work on our Q's.

Return to “General Chat”