Twin Turbo

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
scuba_sean
Car: snowboarding, sailing

my buddy has a 1993 mazda rx-7 TT, and he is taking "the twins," out, and putting in a T-04, single turbo. I want to buy the turbos off of him, and put them onto my 1990 SOHC S13. He knows a hell of a lot bout turbos and such, but i dont. I wanna know everything that would be involved in this, and everyhting i would have to buy (manifold, boost gauge, etc...), and how much boost i should run, (he says about 7psi, so i dont have to do internal work) please gimma a hand here guys, thanks.

sapix @ RHIT

Twin turbos on a four cylinder are not really needed, to get the turbos on, your going to probably have to have a custom manifold done that will support the twin turbos, again, twin turbos are a bad idea unless its a show car. Twins are usually less efficient than a single. Before you buy it, diffinitely find out about the manifold issue, that could end up rather expensive.

Your also going to need some sort of an intercooler, you'll probably want to go with a FMIC, and thats going to add alot more cost. Just thinking about it really quickly, I think you'd be better off passing on this deal unless he just gives you a really great deal.

I'm not sure what size the turbos are, but maybe just use one... but I'm sure their rather small, so probably a bad idea. Sorry, I'm just thinking with my fingers.

Just get a manifold and get like T3 from a z31 in a junk yard, this seems like the most cost efficient method to do things.

scuba_sean

he wants to sell me the turbos, intake pipe with foam filter, the y pipe, down pipe, intercooler, and all piping for between 200 and 400 canadian. like i said, im really new at turbos, and i was wondering what a z31 is? also, if i do go to boost, what all am i gonna have to replace (fuel pupms, injectors...)

sapix @ RHIT

a z31 is a 300zx, the first generation of them, when they had semi pop up headlights.

I don't know exchange rates between canadian and US, but I think they're pretty close to even, but I really think you'd be better off not buying his stuff unless you can turn around and sell it to someone else for a profit, don't take my word for it, please get a second opinion, but I don't think the stuff off his car is what you want.

to boost your engine I think your going to want to replace the fuel pump, the injectors are going to have to go, and you'll need some way to control the fuel. I would say get some sort of Intercooler, but if you keep the boost really low, you would technically be okay. Your also going to want to replace the entire exhaust system. Its pretty small piping for something with a turbo. I'd recommend 3" piping.

Thats all I can think of right now.

scuba_sean

i just got new injectors, cause the old ones were leaking, so im not sure if they're ok, (what cc/min should they flow at?), can i just get the fuel pump out of the old 300zx too? what do you mean by something to control the fuel? and what pressure can i go to before i need intercooling? Also, i was thinking about goin straight back 3" from the place where the catalytic converter used to be, to a magnaflow muffler, but i dont know what to do about the "AIV" or some thing like that, its to do with inhaling fresh air into the exhaust. thaks

Tony Starks

IF you use a fuel pump from a 300zx use one from a TT Z32.I've heard that you can use SR20 fuel injectors,but don't quote me on that.And as far as I know about cooling boost air,I don't think you'll need a large front mount intercooler if you're only pushing 6-8psi.Controling fuel is muy importante when you're boosting.Using something like a SAFC will allow you to adjust the air:fuel ratio to avoid detonation.

sapix @ RHIT

okay, I'm probably wrong here, so someone correct me, but...

The injectors for the SR20 are side feed and the KA24 are top feed, did I screw that up? Maybe its just because its Monday morning.

I really don't want to tell you to run without an intercooler, but at around 5 or 6 psi ::grits teeth:: you should be fine. If something bad happens though, don't blame me, cooling the air will benefit you. It will make it safer to boost, and have more power.

Back to injectors, I think the KA injectors are around 280cc/min, to get much more power I think you'll want to upgrade to 340cc/min (did I screw those numbers up?) Well, I'm pretty sure I feel like a fool this morning and I'm probably giving all kinds of bad information, so I'm just going to quit now.

Hope I didn't screw up too bad, but if I did, someone please correct me.

Tony Starks

I believe that sapix is correct about the injector ratings but I think I should've been more specific.I should've said SR20DET injectors,but I'm still not sure about that.

I am Technoman
Car: ???

You cannot use a RX-7 twin turbo set up on a piston engine. This turbo was made for the 13b only and is NOT a good turbo system. The exhaust flange breaks Basically the twin turbos suck *** and there is a reason your friend is changing over to a single turbo.DO NOT USE THIS TURBO! The SR20DET injectors are 370cc and are side feed not top feed. KA injectors are 270cc and are side feed as well. You can use the 370cc injectors in a KA fuel rail BUT the KA fuel rail is not big enough to supply the injectors I do not recommend over 15 psi with this rail…

johnpoppy

ya the twin turbo unit like attahes directly to the engine or somethin like that, it would take lots of creativity to get that thing on your ka, you could put the rotary in your 240 though, then you could use the chargers ;-)

johnpoppy

Sport Compact had an issue awhile back detailing the ruining of their rotary, they said something like the twinturbo/manifold come off as one very failure prone unit. if you want that very fauilure prone unit on your 240..., also the turbos are tiny, you wouldn't be able to use just one and get any power at all

huguetpj
Car: 93 KAT Coupe

Just wanted to drop my 0.02

-Side fed:KA24DE (270cc)SR20DET (370cc)300zx 95/96 (370cc)-- All interchangeable

-Top fed:KA24E (270cc)CA18DET (370cc ?)-- Interchangeable

And I do think the 300zx 90-94 are top-feed and 370cc, and probable can be interchanged with the KA24E but I haven't confirmed it.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”