Twin Turbo-ing Q45?

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Ezekial wrote:My engine suffered from oil starvation. Considering the state of my bearings ... i believe a woodriff key for the oil pump crank sprocket will fix this!

BTW The VH45 does have piston squirters. They are on the side of the conrods ...
No gain with key as oil flow will be the same with the OEM pump. Woodruff is the word, I believe.

Are they really designed to hit the bottom of the piston? I thought it was just to lubricate the cylinder walls.
Modified by maxnix at 9:32 AM 2/11/2006

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I wonder if you could design a larger oil pump sprocket to turn it faster?

driftjunke

Haven't been inside of any of our VH's yet, but can you strengthen the relief spring like you can in the 240's for the oil pump? Twin turboing the Q will be possible, We are working on the manifolds for our 450SXTT right now, they won't be any equal length long tube header style, but log style, we will have more pics up soon, probably first of next week. BUt I do believe this setup would work on a Q, I just gotta look at the Q's bay a little more. Just a question, anyone pushed the sotck internals past 650hp? We're running Twin Turbonetics T62-1's which are fully capable of 1300hp combined, for the built motor later, thats when the car shouldn't be on the street anymore.

E

E

Ezekial
Car: 2001 Nissan 200SX S15

maxnix wrote:
No gain with key as oil flow will be the same with the OEM pump. Woodruff is the work, I believe.

Are they really designed to hit the bottom of the piston? I thought it was just to lubricate the cylinder walls.
thats rubbish ... oil flow is not the same when the sprocket/gear on the crank is free spinning

ps. u is next to i on the keyboard ... its an easy typo ... if we are going to nit pick ... word and work cannot be deamed a typo

yes they are piston squirters

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Ezekial wrote:thats rubbish ... oil flow is not the same when the sprocket/gear on the crank is free spinning

yes they are piston squirters
It is not free spinning if the crank bolt is torqued correctly. Read the FSM.

Tha is interesting. Never specified by anyone before.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Remember hes running 200 HP more than stock... You have to factor that in.

How will you know if you've attained the results you want? how will you know about any oil starvation issues?

I think my mate here is going the right direction.....

Ezekial
Car: 2001 Nissan 200SX S15

elwesso wrote:Remember hes running 200 HP more than stock... You have to factor that in.

How will you know if you've attained the results you want? how will you know about any oil starvation issues?

I think my mate here is going the right direction.....
i will drop the sump after a few thousand k's of 800 flywheel hp and see how things are progressing

Torque settings are great. But factor in, OLD BOLTS, OLD WORN PARTS, INCREASED RPM, etc ... they really cant be trusted 100%. But hey that is just my opinion

one ton garage

the trick is not to just turbocharge the vh45... anyone can turbocharge anything. the trick is to turbocharge the vh45 in the q45 chassis while maintaining all of its power accessories, and associated lines. a/c, power steering, alternator, not to mention vac lines, evap lines, fuel lines, etc. AND it's about getting a setup to work within those confines, w/o resorting to ghettorizing anything, like using squished dryer duct inlets, piping necked down to less than half optimum cross-sectional area, exhaust plumbing with exorbitantly small diameter or majorly acute bends, etc....

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

I would trust 276 ft. lbs., but like John Dixon thinks, the dry sump setup would be best.

I think one ton has nailed it. Why destroy the best properties of the car to get two tons going faster. MB, Jaguar, and Audi know better.

If you really want the speed, do what 450ZXTT did.

Flagship-Q
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45

maxnix wrote:I would trust 276 ft. lbs., but like John Dixon thinks, the dry sump setup would be best.

I think one ton has nailed it. Why destroy the best properties of the car to get two tons going faster. MB, Jaguar, and Audi know better.

If you really want the speed, do what 450ZXTT did.
Keeping the Q's properties was highest on my priority list when I was thinking about this subject. Doing it all correctly and keeping it atleast at the minimum factory type engineering. Something like the Z32TT O.E. plumbing and such. I know it would be extremely tight but so was the TT engine bay too and they managed it.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”