Tuscon, AZ

Including NV, UT, AZ, CO, NM, and TX
OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

I'm considering moving to Tuscon to attend UA for the Aerospace Engineering program. I'd like to know what I need to know to live there. What should I avoid? Where should I look for housing? What are the V&T laws like? I'm planning a trip down this summer to check the area out before I commit, but it's likely that is where I'll be going to school. Either way, it will not be until Fall '10 that I move, but I like to plan ahead.

dusred
Car: Previous Q45 owner, 09 Corolla, Ford F250 Diesel truck

Mostly bring lots of sun screen and tweezers to remove Cactus. I've stayed there a few times and seems to be a pretty decent place to live.

I'm sure Greg can fill you in on the laws there.

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

OriginalWheelman wrote: What should I avoid?
Tucson. lol

OriginalWheelman

That's not very reassuring.

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

I'm sorry. I've only been down there twice, so I guess I haven't been to the nicer area? Idk, I'm not hating on it or anything, I guess I just had a bad experience. I'm sure there's nice parts of Tucson.

The weather tends to be a little cooler than Phoenix so that's a plus.

ADDirishboy
Car: 2008 Nissan Titan Pro4x

I lived there for all of 2008 and a little bit of 09.

It's.....meh. Are you looking to leave near campus? What's your budget for housing?

Near campus is ghetto as f***. My car was broken into twice and my apartment about 3 times. (I lived off of 1st ave and Euclid. DO NOT move anywhere around that area)

It gets a lot nicer the further away you move. My gf lives about 8 or so miles south of campus and it is actually pretty nice. Cheap houses that are actually decent places to live.

Word of caution: the roads are AWFUL! Pot holes are unavoidable. Also, traffic generally sucks every hour of every day. Except sunday mornings when everyone is too hung over to function.

Like I said though, move further away from campus and your golden. Cheaper rent since your further away, and nicer housing.

OriginalWheelman

ADDirishboy wrote:I lived there for all of 2008 and a little bit of 09.

It's.....meh. Are you looking to leave near campus? What's your budget for housing?

Near campus is ghetto as f***. My car was broken into twice and my apartment about 3 times. (I lived off of 1st ave and Euclid. DO NOT move anywhere around that area)

It gets a lot nicer the further away you move. My gf lives about 8 or so miles south of campus and it is actually pretty nice. Cheap houses that are actually decent places to live.

Word of caution: the roads are AWFUL! Pot holes are unavoidable. Also, traffic generally sucks every hour of every day. Except sunday mornings when everyone is too hung over to function.

Like I said though, move further away from campus and your golden. Cheaper rent since your further away, and nicer housing.
Cool. That's about what I heard. I wasn't planning on living there forever, just to go to school. I'm a country person so living in the city is not what I wanted anyways. As for the roads, I seriously doubt that the pot holes are worse than Buffalo. We don't have a road without them. It's the winter weather, but anyways. I'm planning on looking for a house. We were thinking about having kids within the next few years so I really want to stay away from apartments. I'm not going to buy a house, as I don't plan to live there. I've budgeted about $1100 a month for housing / utilities.

Return to “Southwest Region”