Turns over but won't fire. Trouble Shooting?

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
dcsmith
Car: Frontier

My wife's 2000 Frontier was running fine Wednesday; Wednesday night it would not crank. I don't know where to start trouble shooting. I listened to the gas tank to hear the fuel pump. It appears to be pumping. I pulled a plug and touched it to a bolt while my wife turned it over. I didn't see a spark. I do oil changes, brakes, air filters and stuff like that; this other stuff is over my head. I need help! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

Difficult to diagnose over the forum. Check all your fuses with a circuit tester. There are some in the dash. ( behind a removable panel located just below your steering column).

There are also more fuses under the hood near the battery. Check them too. There is a 100Amp fuse in this Fuse Box that has been known to burn out. The fuse runs about $20.00 and I don't know if it is a dealer only item. But do a continuity check first.

The only other thing you can do is get the vehicles computer (ECM) scanned for trouble codes and have it diagnosed.

You could also pull the distributor cap and have your wife bump the starter while you watch the distributor rotor and see if it turns. If it doesn't turn.....the timing belt broke. Timing belts need to be replaced every 96,000 miles.

dcsmith

You nailed it with the timing belt. The rotor doesn't turn. I didn't look into it but *** u me d that it had a timing chain as did the 90 nissan pickup we owned. Does this truck have the kind of engine that gets damage from belt breakage? It was working when it got home and would not crank when she got ready to leave. Does this suggest maybe there was no damage even if it is that type of engine? I'm reaching here. I don't know.

Thanks for your help already.

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

My timing belt thought only applies to the V6.

If you have the 2.4L 4-cylinder then it's a pair of chains. One that runs from the crank shaft to an idler gear. And then one that runs form the idler gear to the cam shafts.

Or in the V6. It's a belt.

dcsmith

I thought about tackling the timing belt, but thought better of it. I got a mechanic to do it on the side for $250 plus I bought the timing belt and the other 3 drive belts. There appears to be no damage. It runs good. Thanks for your tutelage.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”