Turning ignition switch does nothing (sometimes) - '08 QX56

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
EvilJack
Car: 2008 QX56

So for the past year or two when I get in the car and turn the ignition switch it sometimes (maybe 25% of the time) will not start the car the first time/turn. The switch just turns to the right and nothing changes (the engine is not trying to turn over - just nothing happens). Then if I turn it all the way back to the left and then right again the engine starts immediately and with ease. But now twice in the past month it has taken more than two tries - 5 or 6 in one instance and more than 10 times when this happened yesterday. But then this morning it just started on the first turn. So regardless I'm thinking whatever is wrong is on its way out permanently. Does anyone here know what the faulty part or issue is? Thanks so much.

macgiver

Relay CONTACTS will become marginal with time , taking more than one "hit" on closure - the click you may be able to hear.These late model cars have complex systems , antitheft etc. and MULTIPLE relays in "harmony"will be sequentially/in series , needed to actuate - with a good conduction of current.
So find all relays possibly involved in starting and test by tapping with a screwdriver - for "effect". Better yet have some "known good" spares to swap . This would be a start , eliminating your relays , and it's really an easy & clean procedure ?? :yesnod

Socaldiablo
Car: 2004 Infiniti QX56 - Black on Willow
2016 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Black on Black
2006 Ducati ST3
2008 Kawasaki KLX450r

This sounds like a bad starter motor. I replaced my original starter once already (about 4+ years ago) and just recently I'm starting to get the same symptoms again. I had the exact same symptoms as what you experienced, EvilJack. This post is fairly old but if anyone else is reading this with similar problems, it's likely your starter.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”