turn signal brake light problem - Need help!

Fairlady, Datsun Sports, Roadsters... whatever you want to call them, this is the place to discuss the Datsun SPL311 and SRL311!
hatanhi
Car: 69 SRL311

Hi. I have been a proud owner of 1969 SRL2000 for the past 18 years. Its been an extremely reliable car ever since I got it. Even when my garage got flooded up to my knees after a bad storm several years ago, the car did not give me any problems.
I noticed the other day that both of my turns signals stopped working. I also noticed that the rear left brake lights no longer work (right side works). I’m hoping someone can help me with this….

When I turn the headlights on, all of the tail lamps (as well as the front amber lights) turn on dim as they should. Also when I turn the hazards on, all of the tail lamps flash as they should. (Hazards always flashed extremely slowly, so no change there). Brake lights work for the right side only as I mentioned.
I did take a look at the silver relay cans underneath the dash. I interchanged them but no effect. (hazards work using either silver can). I noticed that when I turn the hazards on, there is power to blue (+), and green wire (-). But there seems to be no power on the other two wires that goes to the other can– white (I presume +), and green (I presume (-)), even when I turn the turn signal switch left or right.
Can anyone help me out with this? I took out the steering wheel as well but the switch area in the steering column looked complex and I was not sure how to get the switch out. I need to get the car inspected for spring but without the turn signals it won’t pass inspection in NY…

Andy_In_SD
Car: 1970 - 2000 5spd Roadster, 1966 SPL311-1600 Roadster

Do you have a volt meter? If not, get one at Frys or Radio Shack (get a cheap one, about 20 to 30 bucks). They're your best friend when doing electrical.

Using that check for voltage at the lights first, pop out the bulb and test the connectors for the base of the bulb. If they're not ok, scrape those connectors lightly (sand em a bit) in case it's just oxidation. If they're ok, you may just have sad dead bulbs.

Next stop on your tour is the connectors for the wiring to the bulb assembly. Again you can use a thin file or emory paper folded over to remove any oxidation.

After that is the connector to the relay (glad you know where that guy is so you don't have to hunt around). Lightly sand that connection.

Each step of the way, use the voltmeter to check that there is voltage (before and after sand -or- scrape).

That'll take care of it. Older cars like these can get oxidation on electrical connectors.

Hope that helps,

Andy

Return to “Datsun Roadster”