turboing a 1977 200sx!?

Here you'll find topics regarding the Datsun B210, 310, 610, 710, 810, 1200, and lots of other models - All are welcome!
dibhotman
Car: 200sx

i bought my 200sx about a month ago..and im in love with it i just wished it was faster. is it even possible?? should i turbo it? what do you guys think?

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

should be an L series in there....how fast do you want it?

oldschoolsilvia
Car: S14

Haha yes an S10

Welcome to the site, looks like it is in really good shape.

Mr1der

I've honestly been wanting to see a 610 and 710 on this site for a long time.

that's one goal accomplished.

BUT most of your performance mods are gonna have to fabbed for the application.

dibhotman
Car: 200sx

yea it has an L20B which is puts out 90 hp..how much faster do you think i could make it? and with what?

Gensaiken
Car: 71 Datsun 510

Mr1der wrote:I've honestly been wanting to see a 610 and 710 on this site for a long time.

that's one goal accomplished.

BUT most of your performance mods are gonna have to fabbed for the application.
Yeah, unfortunately this is neither one.

If you wanted a turbo 200SX I would have recomended looking in to the mid 80's version. Those came with a factory turbo.

You could turbo that L20 but its usually more work than it is worth. I think short of an engine swap would be your only route for a turbo.

If you want some performance with out an engine swap get a performance rebuild of that L20. You could pull maybe 120-130hp if you got the cash.

Definately look up some 200SX forums. I know they are out there and would definately be the choice to find out the key upgrades to make your car run like you want to.

If it was me, I wouldn't touch the thing. I'd leave it stock. There aren't many clean early 200SX's left. Most that I have seen on the street (2) were very beat and on their last leg.

Mr1der

had the dumbass hat on again....

as far as the turbo S12...the only reason to really buy the turbo model is the hood scoupe, assuming it has one.

the single cam CA is for those with a love affair with being different.

It too is a good benefactor of an engine swap due to us not getting the good turbo engines here (FJ and the CA18DET)

the Turbo model DOES have turbo decals all over it though.

oldschoolsilvia
Car: S14

Mr1der wrote:had the dumbass hat on again....

as far as the turbo S12...the only reason to really buy the turbo model is the hood scoupe, assuming it has one.

the single cam CA is for those with a love affair with being different.

It too is a good benefactor of an engine swap due to us not getting the good turbo engines here (FJ and the CA18DET)

the Turbo model DOES have turbo decals all over it though.
And for the R200 rear end, I am starting to hate having a live axle

twoeightythreez
Car: 1994 G50; 1995 Caprice wagon; 1969 Buick sportwagon

Buy the book "how to rebuild your datsun L series engine" and "how to modify you datsun L series engine". It will tell you all the things you can do to get the most out of your L series engine. These engines are no joke for thier time, they've won lots of races and were still being used in racing in the 90's.Lots of the L-stuff was interchangeable...but if you want to keep her original my recommendation would be to pull your L20b, preserve it so you can put that car back to stock someday when it's super rare and valuable, and install a KA. It's no harder to do than in a 510. (the KA is a direct evolution of the Z series, which was an evolution of the L series!)To keep it old skool and still have a little power, without modifying the car at all...as in "bolt in swap"..then....Find a nissan 720 pickup , yes the whole pickup cuz the trans is desireable and necessary because the z series blocks have a tilted belhousing pattern. (z-24) and get the block, bore it out to 90mm, take your L20b head and port/polish it and install a huge cam, and bolt it on to the Z24 block. The head bolts right on, you just have to modify the Z24 timing cover (which u have to use, the Z24 block is 1/2" higher than the L20b block, which is 3/4" higher than the L18 block) Get a neat twin carb setup and you're good to go. Old skool looks (most people will think it's the L20b to be honest) and 2.5L displacement. Or...you could go with EFI but then you would lose the old skool look. I have a megasquirt which I built and installed and tuned myself on my 280z. (it has an L28ET motor)Oh yes, DEFINITELY visit http://www.hybridz.org Yes it's a Z site but Z's are powered by L-series, are they not? These guys have done just about everything imagineable and will help you decide what to do. (most likely if they live near you they will help you swap....S10's are a rare sight)

Mr1der

oldschoolsilvia wrote:
And for the R200 rear end, I am starting to hate having a live axle
yeah...that too.

although surely there's a Z31 in a local junkyard with your name on it!

KAestate
Car: 1971 Datsun 510 Estate

I had an L20b in my 510 (it was from a '75 620). I bought the book mentioned earlier and you can get more than enough power out of the L20b. The easiest thing you can do for bolt-on power would be intake and exhaust. With these carbureted engines there really isn't much else unless you want to rebuild the engine.

Cannon makes a dual 2bbl intake for less than $150. Slap two side draft Webber 35/40's on there with velocity stacks and if you're still not impressed replace the exhaust manifold with a header (can't remember the brand name). That should take you to about 115-120hp for about $500-$650 and in a car that light you'll definitely notice the difference.

Return to “Other Datsun Cars”