Turbocharging the KA Frontier truck

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
king_johnthegreat
Car: Anything rolling fast

Hey there, all, I'm quite sure there have been no posts about this specific topic, or the many searches I performed would have yielded me something. I come to you all, though, for your expertice in turbocharging the KA24DE motor. My stock 143hp just isn't cutting it, and I've now found all the parts I need to complete the installation of a Turbonetics T3/T04B hybrid turbo with a Deltagate wastegate onto my truck. I'm looking for roughly 350hp @ 13-19psi. In case it matters, I'm looking at a Super .46 compressor wheel in a T04B comp. housing (3" inlet) with a wet ceramic ball bearing center section, coupled to a T3 tangential turbine housing with a stage II wheel and .63 A/R. Yes, I'm rebuilding the bottom end, and intercooling the charge. My concern is for fuel delivery. What do I do about the fact that JWT doesn't have an ECU upgrade? Is there some way to control my engine timing and fuel trim easily/cheaply? If anyone knows this, I know you guys do!! Help me out, here, please. John

TruboostPerformance

Sounds great, I have a 1998 Nissan Frontier and I just turbocharged her 3 months ago. As far as for ecu setup, I am running the APExi SAFC and silvia injectors(380cc) to flow fuel along with a FMU, you can do this or buy 450cc or 550cc and do away with teh FMU and just run the SAFC. I have had no problems, running 10psi now and she is ripping the streets up and many many cars along with that. I have a simple setup, and at 5psi she pulled 175whp, and 187 tourque, which stock is about 123whp, so 50hp bolt on with a homade kit at 5psi, now she is at 10psi, and I can tell a big difference in power, she goes back to the dyno shop friday to get tuned at 10psi to see what hp numbers she puts out, good luck, hit me up, I deff would like to chat, only other frontier I know of is yours that is turboed,besides mine...

TruboostPerformance

also, if you would like and have knowledge of turbos, you can do the same as this guy in FL, 400whp in a KA24DE stock ecu/ stock internals, with mild upgardes, same setup I have besides fuel pump and I have a IHI ball bearing turbo T3...http://www.back-yard-productions.com/CONROY.htm

98 Fronty, IHI T3 Turbo, Nismo cams,Jacobs ignition,Corbeau Racing seats,18" KMC(car rims),3/4drop,tv/dvd,shaved tailgate handle,rollpan,blue vinyl interior/bed,fiberlglass bed cover,fiberglass racing hood,short throw shifter,crossed drilled&slotted rotors...

king_johnthegreat

Thank you, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Fuel delivery was perhaps my biggest concern, but now I know I can leave the ECU in stock form, and add the SAFC. I plan on simply upgrading the four main injectors, and fuel pump, plus adding an adjustable FPR. All in all, how hard was the SAFC to wire up and tune? I thank you again, that was a big help! John

TruboostPerformance

The SAFC is not hard at all to wire up, it is a sinch, if you have basic electronic and wire diagram know how. tuning was not too hard, but the best way to get it right is to run it on a dyno, I had it in and thought she was tuned right, I put her on the dyno, I did have plenty of fuel, but way too much, so I played with the SAFC and gained 11hp at the wheels, not tuning but just guessing by looking at my a/f on the dyno computer, so with a good tune you could pull as much as 20 wheel hp out of it.

TruboostPerformance

also here is a pic of my setup, not a great one but the best I have for now...

king_johnthegreat

Thank you for the input, I think I'll do just that. The only other option I was considering would have been a Haltech ecu, or fuel/ignition computer. For a while I was affraid there was nothing I could do, but with enough dough, and forums like this, I suppose anything is really possible! John

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”