Turbo upgrade and Custom Turbo Manifold Questions

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
Red Lightning

My 200SX have a CA18ET (single cam), i've learned that it has a small *** t2/25 turbo, now im looking for a turbo upgrade. i want about 250whp, i know i need to upgrade fuel too, but what kind of turbo can make that much power and possibly a little bit more? someone on Freshalloy used BigT28 and got good result, (about 320 hp). Does the BigT28 uses a T25 flange? if so i wouldnt need a new manifold, would a BigT28 be a good upgrade? Would a normal T28 from a S14 SR20DET make 250whp? Do i need a T3/4 to get 250whp? also i will probably get the head port and polished, and i think there is a company make a cam for the CA18ET (Called Piper Cams or something like that) So which turbo would you suggest. Please :help Thanks.

Daunttless

Yes, the Big28 uses a T25 flange, you also have the option of the S14 or S15 T28s, they all use T25 flanges. I would highly suggest getting a new manifold as well though. Your cheapest bet if you can find one would be a S14 T28, you'd have to push around 18psi so you'd also need fuel upgrade like you said, and most definitely a front mount intercooller, you'd also need management, and probably a new fuel pump. : ) Enjoy your day!

Red Lightning

Thanks Daunttless. Just a few more question. Can a Z31 TT pump handle the power? how big does the injectors needs to be? (im guessing 370cc ?) I also read that my car doesnt have datalogging, so how hard is it to monitor my engine? im going to get EGT, boost gauge and a/f meter, but im unsure what engine management to get. Also, around how many whp can the stock CA18ET handle, i plan on raising the boost when im racing (at the strip), i want to know the limit of my engine. Any infos appriciated.

Daunttless

You mean a Z32 TT, and yes, it can, but it's unbearably loud, you'll also have to modify it as it would be used on an inline engine rather than a V. You'll need bigger than 370, for 250rwhp I wouldn't go any smaller than 440ccs, bigger if you want more power. Why would your car have datalogging? I'm not a huge fan of A/F Gauges, EGT and Boost are nice though. I have no idea how much a CA18ET can handle. : ) Enjoy your day!

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Back in my early days in Japan a freind had an S12 Silvia(200SX) with the CA18ET. He ran the stock engine and computer, a rebic to cover the fuel, a lancer intercooler and the turbo from an SR redtop. This is back in 94' when S13s were still relatively new and he could hang with most of them. The CA is stout, I would'nt doubt you could build a SOHC to a daily-driven 250hp.

Red Lightning

Daunttless: Sry I meant to say a Z31 Turbo, is it a T3? Also I said my car does NOT have datalogging, and someone on Club-S12 said I will not be able to monitor my engine condition (detonation).

themadscientist: can the stock computer handle that much power? What's a rebic? Will I need a maf upgrade? will Z31 maf work?

A few more questions: How much power can the CA18DET internals handle? Is the CA18ET weaker than the DET? I just read on a thread I can add addtional injectors instead of upgrading to bigger ones. It's more work, would it be worth it? Can I use this (http://www.aquamist.co.uk/cp/mf2/mf2.html) to control the additional injectors?

Thanks for the help.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Quote »How much power can the CA18DET internals handle?[/quote] I would say in the ball park of 400hp.Quote »Is the CA18ET weaker than the DET?[/quote] The bottom end is identical to that of the CA18DET using the same rods as well as crank and it also has oil squirters, too. The problem is in the head and fuel management. It's not that it's weaker, but the DET is an evolved CA18 with 16 valves instead of 8. The DET is more efficient and uses a better turbocharger thus making produce more HP than the CA18ET and also the fact that the CA18ET doesn't come with intercooling makes it lose more power. Too many black boxes are not good especially if you are not familiar with them. You're just a time bomb waiting to go boom. I would either get the DET and build from there or upgrade the engine management, fuel injectors and turbocharger on your current motor! Oh yeah, and get an intercooler.

themadscientist

A rebic is a subinjector controller. The computer for that engine is likely not real conducive to things like piggyback computers, we didn't have goodies like that back then, it was all hardwired. We never killed that motor, the CAs are tough little boogers. What is your budget and what do you expect the engine to do? I need specifics before I shoot the idea down or say "it's posssible, here's how"

Red Lightning

250whp daily driven, hoping for 300whp when racing. some drag races (hoping for mid 13 seconds) and some autoX. I already got the car S12 200sx, looking to spend $5000 on mods this summer (including suspension). The engine is newly rebuilt have about 15,000 miles on it. (I know the previous owner, he rebuilt it with OEM parts). I'm looking at an IC now, I saw a guy from Sweden did a sid-mount IC, which I think I can do it. So can $5000 USD get me there? If so, please tell me how. Thanks.

btw here's the parts I'm planning on to use:S14 T28 turbo (used)-$350?Port and Polished Head-??? DIY kit?($100)Piper Cam-$300Injectors-440cc ($400?)Fuel pump-Used Z31 or Z32 pump?($50)Fuel management-???($500??)Used side-mount IC-$50Custom Pipings-($500)KA24DE TB-$50Some Coilovers-$800 (I've heard the Z31 coilover will work, not sure)Tires-$500Better Brakes-???($500??)RED LED washer lights-$30 :ylsuper Total $4130Addition $900 for errors or fuçked up things?

Do I need the SMC alcohol injection kit?-$350

The above just a general estimate, I know there's somethings I left out or did wrong, please correct me. Thanks. :help

Red Lightning

themadscientist wrote:A rebic is a subinjector controller. The computer for that engine is likely not real conducive to things like piggyback computers, we didn't have goodies like that back then, it was all hardwired. We never killed that motor, the CAs are tough little boogers. What is your budget and what do you expect the engine to do? I need specifics before I shoot the idea down or say "it's posssible, here's how"

If I get additional injectors, will the Rebic work? Can you post a link to Rebic site? Thanks.

themadscientist

The rebic is made by Greddy. If you go with big main injectors you won't need it. If you want reliable 300hp I would strongly reccomend you abandon the SOHC, it would be really pushing the envelope for that design and that flies in the face of reliability. 250hp is pretty fun and within reach but if there is a chance you want more stop, get a JDM CA18DET. you will get a stronger bottom end, better flowing head, better aftermarket support and a higher HP capability.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

The good thing is you only need the motor because your tranny and flywheel are very compatible and bolts right up!

Red Lightning

The thing is this motor is newly rebuilt, I just dont want to throw that away. Does the CA18DET use the same mount as the ET? thanks.

themadscientist

yes, it's just an earlier version of the same block. Don't throw it away just lower the expections for the SOHC, leave the long block alone and get the experience tweaking it, meanwhile line up a DOHC motor to build a maximum effort engine

Red Lightning

themadscientist wrote:yes, it's just an earlier version of the same block. Don't throw it away just lower the expections for the SOHC, leave the long block alone and get the experience tweaking it, meanwhile line up a DOHC motor to build a maximum effort engine

Yea, I think I should just be satisfied with 250whp, and when the motor blows up, or I have more money I'll do a DET swap.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”