turbo timer question

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
Pieceofsand
Car: 91 300zx Twin Turbo

so i got me this, they came in the mail today. i will attempt to install this myself after i get the harness for it(what kind should i use?)

i'm thinking putting it in my center console box, does anyone know who has done it? if that's too difficult i might consider mounting or somewhere by the steering, i think i've seen someone here on nico has it(tommy?)

anyways i thought this was cool:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ories

put it in my ashtray

Pieceofsand

no one? this forum is so dead

REDWINTERZ
Car: 1994 Nissan 300ZX (Aztec Red with Black Leather)

Sorry... I just read this thread to learn about turbo timers. Lol lurking FTW...

Bump.

alright2020
Car: 92 jeep wrangler with SBC
99 F250 with 7.3 on 25lbs
91 300ZX na>tt>na
03 G35 coupe

i have mine in the location where the clock is.... took clock out and grinded it out... fits great... as fasr as harness goes im not sure for you... i tapped into teh red/white wire the black/white wire and the blue wire i believe were the 3 for the ignition.... im not 100% tho i just took off the steering surround and put a multimeter on the contacts to figure out which ones i needed

Z31toZ32
Car: 1999 Infinity QX4

Pieceofsand wrote:no one? this forum is so dead
no doubt. without evil here, we have no leader!

Pieceofsand

alright2020 wrote:i have mine in the location where the clock is.... took clock out and grinded it out... fits great... as fasr as harness goes im not sure for you... i tapped into teh red/white wire the black/white wire and the blue wire i believe were the 3 for the ignition.... im not 100% tho i just took off the steering surround and put a multimeter on the contacts to figure out which ones i needed
ahh damn i didn't find any good detail write ups on how to install one. i've looked on twinturbo.net a bit though. it's a little harder than i thought it would be. don't you have to mess around with the ecu a bit?

on the lighter note 2020, i got that motor if it weren't for you i'll probably be buying a stupid used JDM off ebay.

hacyec
Car: 91 300ZX

I need to reinstall my own as well, previous owner just installed it so it would count down by itself without factoring in how long its been driven and such, it's supposed to be an auto one though.

Also, it's supposed to shut off the engine once you put down the ebrake which doesn't happen either. Sorry to thread jack but does anyone know how to get that to work?

DMeN Z
Car: SWhite '91 TT Z32, Dodge Patas

Most tt come with a harness which makes installation easy/PnP (plug N play). It was pretty easy when I did mine but I had a friend who helped so....

Here is a site that might help: http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/PIC....html

A Paratrooper's 300zx
Car: White 92 300zxTT M/T, Silver 04 MR2 Spyder M/T

This is what I did with mine:

Pieceofsand

DMeN Z wrote:Most tt come with a harness which makes installation easy/PnP (plug N play). It was pretty easy when I did mine but I had a friend who helped so....

Here is a site that might help: http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/PIC....html
i've read that before i post this thread(did some hw). however, the procedure just isn't detail enough for me to follow. DMeN if you followed the procedure when your friend when you did yours, what exactly is being done on precedure #6? I'm a little confused on what is meant by "Reconnect the negative (-) side terminal of the battery temporarily and use a voltage meter between pin #3 and chassis ground for battery voltage with the ignition switch in the ACC and ON position and 0 voltage in the OFF position. (fig 1)"

thanks for the input though.

and i think i'm gonna go ahead and set mine like paratroopers set up.

tg

its pretty easy to install, most of the wiring you need to access is in the steering column. If you have an alarm things will get harder.

ztommyx

sorry, been out of town for the few days...

^^ tg got it on the nose.

if your turbo timer came with a bracket (or you can fab one up)you can easily mount it below the steering column. wires/adapters are stealth from being down there.

i can take pics if you need them. personally, i think it's the best location w/o having to modify it.

Pieceofsand

tommy those pics would be helpful and i greatly appreciate it.

i've been reading quite a lot on how to install it. basically i need to hook up the turbo timer to 1.steering 2. e brake sensor 3. factory alarm(i have a factory one)

it's my first time doing this, so i have no idea how to ground stuff. i know absolutely nothing when it comes in terms of electrical wiring. i'm willing to give it a shot that's why i'm asking for help.

car nut
Car: GT500.

Pieceofsand wrote:
i've read that before i post this thread(did some hw). however, the procedure just isn't detail enough for me to follow. DMeN if you followed the procedure when your friend when you did yours, what exactly is being done on precedure #6? I'm a little confused on what is meant by "Reconnect the negative (-) side terminal of the battery temporarily and use a voltage meter between pin #3 and chassis ground for battery voltage with the ignition switch in the ACC and ON position and 0 voltage in the OFF position. (fig 1)"

thanks for the input though.

and i think i'm gonna go ahead and set mine like paratroopers set up.
What that is saying is that after you've completed steps 1-5, reconnect the negative battery terminal (the black one) and then connect a voltage meter between pin #3 (it shows its position on that little diagram) and the chassis of the car (any metal part on the chassis will do). Then you want to get the voltage readings for when the key is in the off position (should be 0), 1/3 turn (this is the ACC position (its when the lights go on)) and 2/3 turn (the ON position (the position the key is in when the motors running)). Make more sense?

Pieceofsand

car nut wrote:
What that is saying is that after you've completed steps 1-5, reconnect the negative battery terminal (the black one) and then connect a voltage meter between pin #3 (it shows its position on that little diagram) and the chassis of the car (any metal part on the chassis will do). Then you want to get the voltage readings for when the key is in the off position (should be 0), 1/3 turn (this is the ACC position (its when the lights go on)) and 2/3 turn (the ON position (the position the key is in when the motors running)). Make more sense?
ahh i see, so it's just wiring a voltage meter between pin 3 and to the chassis to check the voltage? yeah that definitely make more sense. thanks bud.

car nut
Car: GT500.

Yeah man no problem.

ztommyx

i forgot how hard it was to put in a turbo timer?

if i remember correctly, maybe 12 yrs ago... with a 3-way harness adapter, you just unclip the steering column, attach one to steering, and the other two to the turbo timer.

really no need to unhook the battery or check anything. just install while ignition is off.

wierd, just found this pic a few thread down...this is how mine is setup... with the same timer as well.

Pieceofsand

^^ tommy i thought that one goes to the steering column, one is spliced and goes to the factory car alarm and one goes tot he ebrake sensor?

having an alarm makes it harder, that much i know.

mod can you move this thread to tech for me? thx.
Modified by Pieceofsand at 6:20 AM 3/19/2010

Mark's Twin Turbo
Car: 1992 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

Hi, I have a turbo timer in my car. Does anyone know how long I should set it for before the motor turns off? Is 2 minutes enough? Also, is there a fluid that runs through the intercoolers?, and if yes, what type is it and when should it be changed. I currently have 158,000 kilomeres on my car.
Thanks,
Mark
( [email protected])

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

You don't need a turbo timer, the turbos on a 300zx are watercooled so the only time you'd need to give it any cool down is if you just ran it down the strip and even then by the time you make it to the parking lot or back in line the turbos have had a chance to cool down. Its not a bad thing to have just basically useless. A standard air to air intercooler uses air to cool air, hence the name air-to-air so no fluid.

Mark's Twin Turbo
Car: 1992 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

Ok, thanks for the info!
Mark

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”