Turbo Question

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Cubink

wasup people I was wondering if you guys know where I can get a street legal turbo kit for the 95-98 240sx. I looked in many places but there all off road. nsport is also off road. If theres not any of them out there how can I get it past emissions.

thanks.

Daunttless

There aren't any street legal turbo kits, most of them will pass emissions. Generally, being street legal has nothing to do with emissions. Unless it specifically states that it violates emissions laws, then emissions aren't the concern. The only reason that people associate emissions with street legality is because emissions is the only way to get caught. Theres about a dozen threads on this, you should look into the difference. : )

Enjoy your day.

Cubink

thanks for the reply, what subject are the threads under and is the nsport kit abe to pass emissions.

Daunttless

just do a search on emissions. : )

Also, the Nsport kit should be able to pass emissions, but probably only the stage 1. However, I don't have that verified...

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Daunttless wrote:There aren't any street legal turbo kits, most of them will pass emissions. Generally, being street legal has nothing to do with emissions. Unless it specifically states that it violates emissions laws, then emissions aren't the concern. The only reason that people associate emissions with street legality is because emissions is the only way to get caught. Theres about a dozen threads on this, you should look into the difference. : )

Enjoy your day.

Are you sure? I think the F-max kit was CARB certified.

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

mattback wrote:why the hell wouldnt it pass emissions?

it only affects fuel curve in boost

hello and welcome to maybe you dont understand how a turbo works?? or you suck @ tuning

or you suck @ life

take a pick

Um....I hate to inform that you are wrong since you seem to know everything....

But for one, the Nsport kit disables the EGR. So there is one thing hurting emissions.

Also, the Nsport kit increases fuel pressure, even at idle. So the amount of fuel coming out of the injectors for a certain pulse width increases. Sure, the ECU compensates by shortening the pulse width, but it can only shorten it to so much. The increased fuel pressure accounts for more fuel than the ECU can cut back. So there is #2 against emissions.

And finally, different states test emissions differently. In GA, we have emissions test ON a dyno. It's not done under heavy throttle (where you see boost), but it is done at 2000 rpms while rolling. At 2000 rpms, being under load, you are pumping out twice as much gas as you are at 1000 rpms. So the effect of #2 is doubled.

Daunttless

Actually I haven't heard of it being CARB legal, I just glanced around a bit and didn't see anything about it, I could be wrong though. Also, you CAN make turbo kits pass emissions, but as Ez said, it depends on the state and the exact regulations.

mattback
Car: being a big f'ng ricer

how to make care emisions legal

1. get a good aftermarket stand alone like haltech.2. get a good fpr that keeps base pressure at idle3. have a good fuel system.4. tune your haltech (sds is more for max power only)5. in areas wher you need a catylitic converter a good friend of mine hooked up an electronic valve gizmo taht hooks up right where the cat would mate to the 3inch downpie. when he races its open, when hes done he flips to stock exhaust, very sleeperesque.

id say anywhere except cali you can get away with a turbo kit AND pass emissions.. hell you could probablydo it in cali as well if you were slick

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

All true except the Haltec vs. SDS thing. Either one can be tuned for emissions *or* power. Or if you are really good, both. There is no reason one can tune for power and not emissions or vice versa. They are both fuel management systems.

mattback

you dont know how sds works..

you cant really fine tune individual ve values i.e.. say 15psi@5500 rpm and 15psi @ 3500 rpm on a sds. that's its downfall. it's how you will lose a little bit in the emissions.. i'm not saying i havent done it, but its not nearly as easy or possible as it is on a haltech. but for max power either one is great

mattback

you have got to be kidding me right? they let you in here?

Turbo_Nismo_EC
Car: My truck...of course

Um, back about a year ago, I was talking to the folks up at Jim Wolf Technology, and they can tune your ECU for turbo, and it will still be legal. It's the same thing they did in their CARB legal turbo kit for the SR20 200sx. But then again you can only run like 5 psi. I would go with something that would allow future mods myself.

::THOUGHT::

Anybody here running a Haltech? I have heard of them, but unfortunately do not know of anybody who actually runs one.

:D

1991240xs

EZcheese15 wrote:All true except the Haltec vs. SDS thing. Either one can be tuned for emissions *or* power. Or if you are really good, both. There is no reason one can tune for power and not emissions or vice versa. They are both fuel management systems.

You not have a 240 torry? You live pretty close to me...gonna be at nopi?

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

1991240xs wrote:You not have a 240 torry? You live pretty close to me...gonna be at nopi?

No I have a SE-R. But yes, I will be at nopi. Please see the thread in "NICO Meets" forum about Nopi. We are all getting together for dinner Saturday night. If you would like to go, please RSVP me immediately.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

My KA passed CA state emissions with my EGR bypasses. It passed barely.

240SXer
Car: 1995 240sx SE (2jz powered)

Getting it to pass the tailpipe smog is cake compared to getting it to pass the visual inspection. Anyone have a way to make a KAT look like a bone stock KA. Maybe a cool mirror setup? Or maybe cover it up with some sheetmetal. Here in CA passing smog is easy it's fairly easy, it's the visual inspection that kills everyone.

David.

jon ormesher
Car: playing guitar and harmonica, working (fixing) my 240 and my freinds 240's, driving...

i live in tx and my stock s13 failed emissions 3 times. i made freinds with the tester and he passed my car by putting my info in the computer with a different newer vehicle on the dyno. hope he still works there next yr.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”