Turbo Legal/Covered by Insurance in mass

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
Blueorb

I was wondering when you install a turbo on your ka does the insurance company cover it and if it is legal to do it. Thanks any info would be great.

honda_eater

well wonder yourself over to the blue search button in the top right coner of the page.

NO they dont NO its not

p.s.- Daunt its beatdown time

SSDwellah
Car: '90 Z32 Coupe w/ VH45DE + 5-speed (FOR SALE)
'06 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

This is a little OT but I'm suprised to see somebody else in MA. Cool. Anyway, I have no idea on the practicality of insurance, but as long as you can pass inspection I don't know of anyway of being denied insurance. As a matter of fact there is a law concerning aftermarket parts, I wish I remembered where I read it, that you are free to install anything that the OEM wouldn't replace for free e.g. if your exhaust was damaged it's okay to install performance exhaust. This is a loose interpretation of the law but it is defensible, but honestly there is probably no way for your insurance to know unless you're trying to insure the parts for theft/damage. If this is the case then I don't know the procedure for having an insurance co insure aftermarket parts but it probably includes keeping a receipt of everything.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

honda_eater wrote:well wonder yourself over to the blue search button in the top right coner of the page.

NO they dont NO its not

p.s.- Daunt its beatdown time

Who says it's not covered? I work in an insurance company and I will say that some policies will cover it and some will not. To arbitrarily say it is covered or not covered is wrong. You have to read the policy. That is your contract with the insurance company. Policies from one company to the next are written differently. Some much broader than others. Most higher risk companies will exclude certain mods or put a dollar limit on aftermarket parts.

The best answer to the question at hand is in your policy. Usually it's in "Section D - Damage to your covered Auto". The first part will tell you what is included in coverage. Usually it will have a broad definition such as "Coverage for the vehicle and it's equipment." Then they take back coverage in the Exclusions portion of that section. Then look for any givebacks in the exclusions. This is typical of policies, but some use non ISO forms which may differ in the way they present the contract.

Blueorb

Thanks for your Info. I figured as much that I would have to see what the policies are. I have had a couple of friends that have had claims saying their mods are coved, but i wont' get into the details.

I just wanted to get info from people who had experience before the insurance companies make me do the run around.. OH yeah.. thanks SS.. nice to see another mass person.. ha.. you own a 240?

Thanks again everyone.

SSDwellah
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

Yup '91 Hatchback I just got in July, haven't done much to it but I found someone who just did SR20DET swap so I'm buying his old KA and building a turbo kit. Right now the car is stock except for cone intake (I'm saving every penny). I might get the Apex N1 Dual while I'm saving for turbo since I'll need a new exhaust for the turbo setp anyway. Do you live near Boston? I live in Framingham, if you know where that is. Well good luck, seems Lost_To_A_K-Car has the most logical answer.

SSDwellah
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

22 years and counting... but I live north on the border of Sudbury/Wayland/Marlborough so I'm in a pretty quiet neighborhood. Must've been loud at night right next to both roadways (which would'v been reltively close to roue 9 too right?)Wow this thread is gettin way off topic thanks to me :)

ChickenBoo

[quote=" Lost_To_A_K-Car You'd be surprised how much noise twelve Brazilians in a one-bedroom apartment can make. [/quote]

No I wouldn't. : )

Lsnaple

would a turbo make your insurance payments go up?it just seems logical for them to raise the rates, especially if i, a 17 year old guy with two speeding tickets on record, tell them that i just put a turbo kit on my car?

SSDwellah
'08 Frontier 4x4 SE KC

I'm not sure but I doubt it. When you think about it, how would the quantify the amount? For example if I had a T4 and you had a T3 would you pay less since a t3 makes less boost => slower acceleration => less chance of accident? It's not so cut and dry. You have to consider that even if I have a T66 (or any sports car in general) it doesn't mean I should speed. Which is why it's kind of odd in general that sports cars have higher insurance. It's almost like their accusing the person of being unable to control themself in a more powerful class of vehicle. Although I guess they could argue that a sports compact is generally small and not particularly sturdy in an accident (although that would have to be determined on a model by model basis). Wow I really got off topic on this one. I hope you can manage to get anything useful from my rant :confused:

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”