Turbo J30?

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Simmsled
Car: TSI GTI - E46 325i

Is it possible to swap a 300ZX crate VG30DETT motor (perhaps from Stillen) into a J30?

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

Anything is possible with enough $$$ brother. Any meets this weekend?

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

common question. like repo said, with enough money it could be done. who's got the J30? and you going to BG?

Xenon
Car: Cars, Boost!

I'm sure it could be done, but I can't see the motivation behind it.

TTZ Looks > J30 Looks

For all the money you'd need to have, you could have a 90s TTZ.

Regards,

Jason

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

Xenon wrote:I'm sure it could be done, but I can't see the motivation behind it.

TTZ Looks > J30 Looks

For all the money you'd need to have, you could have a 90s TTZ.

Regards,

Jason

I don't see where looks has anything to do with it. People like their four doors, check out max's, altima's bimmers, audi's, wrx, spec-v's...it goes on and on. The whole point is that people really enjoy their J30 such as I do. Obviously it's not a sports car like a 300zx, but IMO (key phrase) ...it's much more pimp. :cool:

Xenon
Car: Cars, Boost!

Mayhem_J30 wrote:I don't see where looks has anything to do with it. People like their four doors, check out max's, altima's bimmers, audi's, wrx, spec-v's...it goes on and on. The whole point is that people really enjoy their J30 such as I do. Obviously it's not a sports car like a 300zx, but IMO (key phrase) ...it's much more pimp. :cool:

Looks does have something to do with it, because in my post, I said that I can't see the motivation because TTZ looks > J30 looks.

:confused:

Take care,

Jason

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

hey everyone jumped over from the 240 site. I converted a j30 to twin turbo, and i think its a lot easier to work with the engine you got cause there are slight differences in the motors that make the exhast manifold not work (duh) but seriously.

Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

2BN_S13 wrote: I converted a j30 to twin turbo,

come again?

youve personally done a twin turbo J30?

if you have, lets get all the details and specs you can muster.

you dont happen to have any pics...do you?

Simmsled
Car: TSI GTI - E46 325i

I just think that it would be crazy to have a 450hp J30. Wouldn't it be great to see a J30 beat a Vette at the strip? That would be a sight!

diamondj30
Car: Not to low , not to high , just right .

in my world,one day i will take a vette.but not w/this 3.0.

CyberCJ30
Car: Infiniti J30t

well I think it would be possible with even the 3.0, cause I have plans to get 300 hp out of it naturally aspirated. So then I can get some forged pistons and put a real turbo boost on there.

NY94J30
Car: 2000 Q45 AE

_________________________________________________[QUOTE]Originally posted by Xenon "]I'm sure it could be done, but I can't see the motivation behind it.

TTZ Looks > J30 Looks

J30 luxury and comfort > TTZ luxury and comfort

a different market segment

I'd rather have a MUCH nicer car that no one saw coming

CyberCJ30
Car: Infiniti J30t

Oh and about the comment on the looks of the 300 compared to the J, you've got to understand they're in completely different leagues. I mean the J rides much nicer than you could ever get the 300 too.

boileralum00
Car: 94 Miata, 95 FZR600R

My Z seat is more gripping and comfortable than any other OEM seat I have sat in. And with a fully adjustable suspension, you could make the ride very soft if you so desired.

On the other hand, I'm always a fan of sleepers (my next project in 4-5 years will be something along those lines). Bottom line is, build a car that you like, and to hell with what everyone else thinks - at least so long as the project is possible.

Eswift

both the Z and the J are great cars, i have owned both. wonderful in their own respects. The j30 does have a few more seats, and if you need those seats, there is no other option than to get the J and increase the output.

im sure this project is possible, 340 HP has been made on a stock NA engine with the OEM turbos bolted on. of course, add injectors and a good ECU mapping. this was with NO DETONATION!

i really want to hear how the twin turbo was built up, i hope 2BN_S13 comes back sometime to enlighten us

i personally think supercharging is an easier answer to the same question.

d240t2

I'd (we at unStable Hybrids would) like to see an RB in a J30. Email me if you are interested, [email protected]

Dennis

Speeddoctor
Car: Nissans, Infinitis, datsuns, motorsickles,
NICO founder April 22, 2000

Call Ben at JIm Wolf....or email him at [email protected]. I am in the midst of putting a VG30ET im my Infiniti M30 Converible. THey are doing the ECU etc. Hope to pick it up Friday. SD

Eswift

d240t2 wrote:I'd (we at unStable Hybrids would) like to see an RB in a J30. Email me if you are interested, [email protected]

Dennis

an RB-TT? is there enough room? how much capital are we talking about laying down here? that engine isnt even offered in the US...how would parts be procured....interested, to say the least

madmax88
Car: my car

j30 rocks im going to stoke it to 3.2 and blow it or n.o.s but i like my A/C I want a lot of hp IT, S MANS CAR.

quiksilvia
Car: 95 s14 se

Should be "do-able"... but like others said.. with money. From what I understand, isn't the Infiniti J30's engine code a VG30? Seems like you could do it, it would just be a matter of fitment (turbos, intercooler piping, etc, etc) and setting up the fuel system along with probably a new drive train. So yes, its do-able but its not going to be a "plug n play" so to speak, there's a lot more involved. Do some research on the topic, I'm sure this question has been asked A LOT... oh and by the way, don't get a "crate motor from stillen"... what a rip off.... search harder to find a cheaper company with better customer service.

mewt240
Car: multimedia artwork

J30 is RWD? I thought they were FWD, like a max?

Eswift

no. they are RWD. dont confuse the early maxima chassis code:J30 with the J30 chassis code:Y32.

stupid how thed did it, i know

atcaw94

Speeddoctor wrote:Call Ben at JIm Wolf....or email him at [email protected]. I am in the midst of putting a VG30ET im my Infiniti M30 Converible. THey are doing the ECU etc. Hope to pick it up Friday. SD

WHat all is involved? I'm new to the Infiniti/import stuff. Been messing with Fords/Mopars. Did you stick with the auto or go manual tranny? I like my M30, it just needs some HP to make it really fun. Shoot me an email if you prefer at [email protected]

Thanks

Eswift

2BN_S13 wrote:hey everyone jumped over from the 240 site. I converted a j30 to twin turbo, and i think its a lot easier to work with the engine you got cause there are slight differences in the motors that make the exhast manifold not work (duh) but seriously.

talked to 2bn_s13 off-board, he did a TT on a FWD car, not a J30.

since he said it had the VG, to me, thats got to be the maxima (body code J30!)-but completely different car.

FlyTwy180sx
Car: Autocross, Flying, anything to do with cars or airplanes

Yes the J30 is RWD.... It's basicly a NA 300zx sitting on a 240 platform

Eswift

explain to me the association with the 240

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

:withstup i dont quite see how it could be a 240 chassis. the front and rear suspension look similar, but the unibody is completely different.

VimyJ

The J is a substantially larger car than the 240. I don't know the wheel bases, etc., off hand but the J30 weighs in at ~3800 lbs.

McAdam
Car: I like cars and my motorcycle. boats are fun too

I have heard this rumor as well. I have heard the the J30 is a STRETCHED 240sx chassis. I was looking at doing a VG30DET into a S13 and someone said just get a J30 front cross memeber and it'll be a bolt in affair. well, as far as engine mounts are concerned. but, I am stuck in Fargo, ND and there are NO J30's to be seen in the junkyeards for roughly a 240 mile radius. crap.

McAdam

Eswift

give us some specs on the 240 track and wheelbase, and maybe we can either clear up or defend this myth.

i have a feeling that this myth might jsut come from the ease of differential interchangeability between the two cars.

the fact that there is no space between the j30 firewall and front suspension shows that no car based on the same chassis was designed for a manual transmission. 300zx suspension parts are similar, and you can tell they are nissan through and through, but geometry, scale, and placement is completely different. i assume the same will be true with the 240.

the fact that the j30 also accomodated the nissan V8 engine is a strong argument for little similarity in the designs.

and just stretched? i would guess the j30 is a bit wider as well.

or, you could just go to nissan's chassis code designation for the J30:Y32. doesnt sound like it would be very similar to the s13.

it could be that the frame rails look similar, although stretched. for nissan, the closer cars are to each other, even without direct part interchangebility, the cheaper it is to design. although full interchangeability would dessimate manufacturing costs, dont you think the cars would get a little boring?

I also think that if the designs were that similar, super hicas would have been available at least at some point on the 240.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”