TSB for 2015+ Rogue center tube heat shield rattle?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
AreOhWhy
Car: 1995 240sx S14

Hi all,

I know this topic has been discussed countless times but I want to know if there has been an updated TSB for 2015+ models for this heat shield rattle? The rattle on my 2017 is due to the exact same heat shield failure on TSB NTB14-018 but this is only applicable to 2008 - 2014 models.

I rather have this fixed under warranty by dealership but they seem to be hesitant on whether or not it is warranty. If not, I will just fix it myself when the weather warms up.

Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The bulletin on the '14's was because of cold spot-welds on the new model exhausts, I doubt it will ever include other years. However, those welds can break with old age on almost anything Nissan. The correct fix is the same as described in the bulletin, put a stainless band clamp around the loose section. If your 5/60 drivetrain warranty is still in force then it's probably covered whether there's a bulletin or not.

AreOhWhy
Car: 1995 240sx S14

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:25 pm
The bulletin on the '14's was because of cold spot-welds on the new model exhausts, I doubt it will ever include other years. However, those welds can break with old age on almost anything Nissan. The correct fix is the same as described in the bulletin, put a stainless band clamp around the loose section. If your 5/60 drivetrain warranty is still in force then it's probably covered whether there's a bulletin or not.
Yeah it's still under warranty but dealership is hesitant to confirm this until inspection is done but if it's not warranty then of course I pay the inspection fee of $115. To me I rather fix it myself with the $5 clamp than to risk having to pay the inspection fee but of course I rather have them do it. That's why I was asking if an updated TSB existed to help with my case.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

AreOhWhy wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:09 pm
Yeah it's still under warranty but dealership is hesitant to confirm this until inspection is done but if it's not warranty then of course I pay the inspection fee of $115. To me I rather fix it myself with the $5 clamp than to risk having to pay the inspection fee but of course I rather have them do it. That's why I was asking if an updated TSB existed to help with my case.
Even if there was a TSB, that wouldn't mean "free fix" if you were past warranty. But yes, more like $1 clamp lol. The spot welds are easy to check, put a screwdriver tip between the shield and pipe. If the shield lifts, one of the welds is busted. Check front and back on all the shields, not just the rear corner on the downpipe shown in the TSB.

Earthwateruser
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Thought I'd comment on this. I was unaware of the TSB, so I'll check that out but I'm not expecting any love from the dealer for my 2014 SL AWD w/ about 140k miles. The rattling started a few thousand miles ago and kept getting worse. I finally jacked it up and crawled underneath and ALL of the metal bands holding the heat shield onto the mid exhaust pipe had broken. I guess due to age and thermocycling or whatever. Anyway, I pulled everything back together using 4 inch stainless steel bands and the noise is MUCH reduced now. But oddly it only comes back slightly when the pipe finally gets HOT. You'd think it would rattle most when cold, not hot. I didn't want to ratchet those clamps down too much, but I think I'll go ahead crank 'em down some more and see what happens. But I wanted to note that in addition to the 3 broken bands on the bottom of the midpipe section, there is another band that is basically located in the engine compartment inboard of the passenger side front wheel. Easy to see it w/ the wheel off. It would be easy to miss that one if you just crawled under the car or didn't remove the wheel. And I think that spot alone made more of a rattling sound than all the others down below it. I dunno about any broken welds per the TSB, but those silly clamp/bands that they put on at the factory were all junk and had broken. Just checked the TSB and it is for the 2014 Rogue Select and I have the "non-Select" 2014 version. Looks like the cure recommended is a stainless steel band anyway.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Earthwateruser wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:08 pm
I pulled everything back together using 4 inch stainless steel bands and the noise is MUCH reduced now. But oddly it only comes back slightly when the pipe finally gets HOT. You'd think it would rattle most when cold, not hot. I didn't want to ratchet those clamps down too much, but I think I'll go ahead crank 'em down some more and see what happens.
Those clamps need to be very tight, use a large screwdriver or an 8mm socket. If they aren't tight-tight then thermocycling will eventually loosen them, and threadlocker won't last in that environment. You're correct that the shields up around the J can be problematic too, they all need to be checked when diagnosing a rattle. On an aging '14, if everything is tight and it still rattles, suspect the front cat. If it rattles when you bang on the J, there's a good chance the honeycomb is breaking down and there's debris inside the pipe.

Earthwateruser
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Thank you VStar! I'll definitely cinch those bands tighter using a socket. While I'm sure the major rattle has been addressed, the front cat might explain the slight rattle that I hear only after the exhaust gets hot. Hope it goes away after tightening the bands because a new front cat sounds like a trip to the dealer and $$. Other than clamps/wire or JBweld, I'm not into working on the exhaust myself. Couldn't agree more w/ the signature on your profile BTW!

Return to “Rogue Forum”