trying to standout

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
papa74
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5s sedan

someone help Im new here I have a 2008 Nissan 2.5 sedan and already have a lot of custom work done... that being said.. I want to put 26 inch rims and tires on it need to know what I need to do as far as getting them to fit and not rub and still be able to do a full U-turn..

AlexN09
Car: 2011 Altima Coupe 2.5S

That's so awesome. Nobody here does anything like that and I hope you don't catch a bunch of flak for trying it out. But I think it's cool when anyone does anything different so more power to you. You can search YouTube for altima coupe on 28" rims I think and maybe get in contact with that user to see what he did. I would assume you'd need some kind of lift kit. Maybe you'd be able to just use the springs from a 3.5 coupe because they'll lift your car quite a bit.

papa74
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5s sedan

thnx a lot for the info ima check out the niss on u tube and let u knw if nethng comes from it fingers crossed

CoupeVQ35CVT
Car: '98 Lexus GS400, '91 'Yota Land Cruiser
'09 Altima Coupe 3.5SE CVT, '06 Sentra 1.8 SE

While I think what you're doing is pretty comical, as with any sedan running oversized wheels, I'll share some common sense info in what you might expect to have to do.

You'll need to roll your fenders. I have no idea what that means other than the inside of the fender needs to be literally folded upward and away from touching the tire.

The 3.5 Altima springs may not necessarily give you enough lift. You're not talking about raising the car 1"so you can fit 22-23" wheels and thin tires, you're talking 26" wheels which if I estimate is the size of the entire factory tire itself. You'll probably need 2-3" of lift to clear those giant donkey kong wheels + tires. That from what I've seen on old cheesy a** Caprice and Crown Vics running donkey kong wheels is usually done by custom suspension brackets/braces that are lower down to the ground from the chassis frame. Then the control arms can be bolted to this framework, fronts and rears, to give you lots of lift. 26" wheels may not need such dramatic lift though.

But when you do lift, you'll run into alignment, and cv axle angle problems. The (front) axles will be at more of an extreme angle downward when you're standing still. Now if your wheels dip into a .. dip, the axle will be further stressed, most likely going bad sooner and you will likely tear the CV boot (= no grease and bad joint too).

Also, your MPG of course will go to hell from running anaconda wheels, which, if I estimated correctly, may weigh twice as much as factory wheels/tires. Now couple that with the anemic 2.5 engine and 175hp is no longer enough to really drive around with any kind of pep. It will drive like an old grandma car and you might be lucky to get 20 something MPG in town.

Also, your suspension/ride will probably suck ... kong balls, because you'll need some kind of lift, + enough stiffness to keep the car from rolling hard in turns (or turn real slow). That plus the low profile tires will give you and the car a harsher ride unless you just cruise slow and easy.

Your turn radius will suck because you won't have enough room to swing the tires full lock, and as it is in factory form the Altima is not very good at making tight U turns.

It's not gonna be cheap from what I can tell. Custom suspension work, reinforcement if possible (ball joints, tie-rods; all of these will suffer), expensive wheels/tires, worse wear and tear on the driveline and brakes (say good bye to your CVT after this) and more frequent suspension component failure unless designed for the massive wheels/lift.

And..

boo hiss. ;)

rcboy514
Car: 2013 VW Golf TDI 4dr 6-speed
2008 A/C 3.5 CVT (sold)
2004 BMW 545i V8 >:-)
1991 BMW 535i I-6

^ Accurate

Return to “Altima General Discussions”