Trying to rebuild but ran into a problem!!!!!

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
ghostboy
Car: 1995 240sx

So i bought a turbo from a friend for $100. i bought it knowing that it had to be rebuilt. everything was going fine until it came to the compressor and turbine seals. looks like the compressor backplate
for some reason i think that the the oil seal on the compressor side is supposed to be snug in there and the oils seal on the turbine looks like it melted on there so the questions are!:
do i need a new backing plate?
do i need a new turbine?
Or can i just put some heat on the turbine side and knock the rest of the seal out?
Flame me if necessary but dont be mean lol
any info is much appreciated and sorry for the lack of picture quality, hopefully my words can compensate.

lexcrob
Car: I get a different ride faster than I could update this.

... im still new to turbos but i think there is supposed too be a brass color ring around shaft in 2nd pic.

acts kinda like piston ring for turbo??? Fig. id pint out that it looks like sumthin missing!

ghostboy
Car: 1995 240sx

i know theres supposed to be the piston ring like oil seal on it and i have it. the problem is i can get the old one out, it looks like it went through so much friction that it broke off in there and seized in pieces. any ideas on how to get it out and what about the backing plate seal? anything? Anyone lol

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

in picture 2, that is the back plate. take it off and there is the thrust bearing. it has a another "piston ring" oil seal.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I had an aft turbine seal "welded" in place, I had to pry it out with a scribe, but it eventually came out. Try whatever it takes to get it out short of bending the shaft. Then install the new seal, hopefully it isn't scored up to much and the seal is good.

WD

motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

wow thats intense ^^

this is the best pic i have of what i think your trying to explain. this is the opposite side of it though. so like if you remove the plate you will see this.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”