trunk won't open. [SOLVED - shorted trunk release wiring]

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
mrnix
Car: Currently 2012 M37X, Malbec Black
Formerly 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Hey guys, I installed the Fortin remote start today, but now I have noticed my trunk won't open. No luck with key fob, button on trunk or the under dash button. I do hear at the trunk a very soft click when I hit the button there with the key nearby, but I'm not sure what else to check right now. Any suggestions? I don't know that it's related to the Fortin installation, as it's probably been a week or so since I have opened my trunk. May be related, or may be a coincidence. Any suggestions?

EdBwoy

I vote coincidence. How's the weather where you are?
Push down on the trunk while using the key fob to see if it releases.
If not...Do the Y51s have a keyhole somewhere on the trunk? Try the manual method using the key blade/ fob insert to see if that works.

mrnix

If I read right, you're also in STL, and it's unseasonably warm here. I don't know that there's a keyhole anywhere. I looked on the car and did some google snooping.

EdBwoy

Oh yeah, I just looked at your profile. I am on mobile, so I had to go that extra step. Haven't we had all 4 seasons within a week!? I just moved back to the area (Illinois side), I missed the weather.

In my m45 it's on the right side of the trunk garnish. It's the chrome piece above the license plate, and it's a hole within the horizontal surface. So you have to go upwards with the key.
A couple of ways to open my trunk:
1. Trunk button on key fob
2. Intelligent key TouchPad on the trunk
3. Switch inside the car
4. Key blade in said hole
5. Emergency release from inside trunk (I have also reached at this handle thru the rear seat and a rod with a hook)

TLoc
Car: 2012 M37x

There was a plug behind the area of the trunk switch on the dash that had to be unplugged to remove that lower dash piece. Did you double check that it was fully plugged in and there weren't any loose wires there?

mrnix

TLoc wrote:There was a plug behind the area of the trunk switch on the dash that had to be unplugged to remove that lower dash piece. Did you double check that it was fully plugged in and there weren't any loose wires there?
I'm pretty sure I reconnected everything. VDC switch and heated steering wheel work, just no trunk switch. Apparently there are a handful of failsafes to disable it, including a speed check for the car, the glove box defeat switch, and others. I suppose I could have tripped one of those wires while I was in there. I can't locate a fuse for it anywhere, which would put my mind at ease a little, but there's no dedicated fuse for it. I check the FSM, and found the troubleshooting, but it basically requires a Consult.

TLoc

So you did check that valet switch in the glovebox to make sure it is on? If you disconnected the battery you shouldn't have shorted anything out while you were working. I shorted out the USB plug in my center console with a freyed charging cord and I have yet to find the fuse for that, if there is one. If you are hearing a noise in the trunk area when you hit the release, it sounds like there is power. Good luck.

Edit. - I went back and looked at the Flashlink manager software and there is a setting in there under options "A2 - Trunk Release".

A2 Trunk Release
Turn On/Off Trunk Release function through the vehicle CAN-Bus.

Any chance you accidentally turned that off while you were in there. I think if you go to the Fortin website and enter your Service Number off the Evo-All I think it will show your settings, without having to remove the unit and hook it up.

EdBwoy

mrnix wrote:... I do hear at the trunk a very soft click when I hit the button there with the key nearby, ...
Would this mean the signal is somehow still being sent to the trunk?

mrnix

TLoc wrote:So you did check that valet switch in the glovebox to make sure it is on? If you disconnected the battery you shouldn't have shorted anything out while you were working. I shorted out the USB plug in my center console with a freyed charging cord and I have yet to find the fuse for that, if there is one. If you are hearing a noise in the trunk area when you hit the release, it sounds like there is power. Good luck.

Edit. - I went back and looked at the Flashlink manager software and there is a setting in there under options "A2 - Trunk Release".

A2 Trunk Release
Turn On/Off Trunk Release function through the vehicle CAN-Bus.

Any chance you accidentally turned that off while you were in there. I think if you go to the Fortin website and enter your Service Number off the Evo-All I think it will show your settings, without having to remove the unit and hook it up.
I did check the glove box switch, and it's not in the valet setting. I actually unplugged the fortin unit entirely, and still the same issue. I did not check the settings yet, though. Thanks for the tip.
mrnix wrote:
... I do hear at the trunk a very soft click when I hit the button there with the key nearby, ...

Would this mean the signal is somehow still being sent to the trunk?
I would assume that power is still going to the trunk, as it seems like a very quiet relay activates when I press the button, but not the actuator itself. I suspect the actuator has been stopped from activating, either the switch is in valet mode, a fuse blown, or something else that makes the car not allow the trunk actuator to activate.

TLoc

I looked into it a little more while my significant other watched the Grammys. Looks like others have had similar issues and replaced the actuator for about $80. Two screws, unplug the old one, and plug in the new one. I would probably put the wires going to the actuator on a volt meter and see if you get 12v when you hit the release. I would think that would narrow it down to the part and not something else in the chain.

Others on the G forum seems to have a lot of issues with the wiring to the trunk fraying. I think your problem is the actuator since you are getting some response when you hit the button. They got nothing.

mrnix

TLoc wrote:I looked into it a little more while my significant other watched the Grammys. Looks like others have had similar issues and replaced the actuator for about $80. Two screws, unplug the old one, and plug in the new one. I would probably put the wires going to the actuator on a volt meter and see if you get 12v when you hit the release. I would think that would narrow it down to the part and not something else in the chain.

Others on the G forum seems to have a lot of issues with the wiring to the trunk fraying. I think your problem is the actuator since you are getting some response when you hit the button. They got nothing.
thank you sir. at this point, eighty bucks would be fine. I'm glad I found that hidden keyhole though, as I needed the stroller in the trunk today. I will take off the interior trunk covers and do some wire testing as time allows. If I get voltage there, then at least I can narrow it down. If I get zero volts, then I'll know the problem is elsewhere.

mrnix

to wrap this one up, I finally got this fixed earlier this spring (had just been using the hidden keyhole for about 12 months). First dealer thought the BCM was bad, but they did some testing and found that I had inadvertently shorted the power to the trunk release. Saved me the cost of a new BCM, but was still a few hours labor. I must have inadvertently nicked the wire while working on the Fortin Remote Start install. Oh well, live and learn.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”