Trunk storage compartment lock

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
turbofiat124
Car: 2014 Nissan Cube
2002 Nissan Sentra

First if all, don't get me wrong, I like my wife's Cube, I'm not making fun of it but I have to admit that the storage compartment in the rear trunk is one of the most ridiculous items I've ever seen on a new car. It looks like something I would have made in my garage.

First of all I know it's not meant to be a safe but seems like it was designed to just keep toddlers out. I bet if I asked my 4 year old daughter to get into it, she could rip the thing off. It looks like a piece of wafer board or plastic cover in carpet. The locking mechanism appears to be something from a curious cabinet with a slot cut in the plastic liner.

The other day my wife said she could not unlock it with the ignition/door key as you would assume. But when we first got this car it was unlocked because I remember there being a front number plate bracket stored inside it. How it got locked after that I don't have a clue.

So she called the dealership. They first told here that the ignition/door key unlocked it. But that didn't work.

Somehow she used a key from one of those Sentry lock boxes and got it open. When I looked at the locking mechanism, it appears like something you would buy at Lowes or Home Depot that would lock a curios cabinets.

So she called the dealership and told them the number on the lock was 206R. Best I can tell, I may have to get a magnifying glass to make sure it's not 208R or 205R.

The guy from the dealership "said" and left a message on our answering machine that said he called Nissan and they offered no advice so the guy said our best bet would be to take the car to a locksmith!

Can you believe that? :chuckle: What kind of dealership is this if they cannot order a key that has a code stamped on the lock?

My question is, is the ignition/door key supposed to lock/unlock this storage compartment? or is there a different key that unlocks it because I don't recall one coming with the ignition keys the dealer gave us.

Worst case scenario. I go to Lowes and buy one!

Return to “Cube Forum”