Trunk open problem

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

Has anyone been having sporadic issues with opening their trunk by pressing the button on the trunk. Literally every other time I go to open the trunk and press the button I have to do a dance and press the button MULTIPLE times before it unlatches...if it unlatches. This is not a cold weather, or a battery issue. Beyond those two theories, anyone else have this issue? I've always had this issue, but now I'm just fed up.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

do you think, it might be one of the transistors in the remote? just a hunch

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

I get an occasional trunk opening problem with my m37. Happens mostly with the car running. I either have to shut the engine off or use the cabin button. The key fob will not release the trunk :werd:

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

Not the remote because it happens with both remotes. I do notice it happens more with the car running though. I thought at first it might be some safety thing, but if that was the case it wouldn't open at all with the engine running. I want to bring it in to the dealer, but I am just certain when I do, that's the time it's going to open every single time they try it and I'm out $100 deductible. Even when I take the fob out and put it right next to the button sometimes it doesn't work.

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

In the original post you mentioned the button on the trunk so I'm assuming it's the button just underneath the Infiniti letters that intermittently unlocks and not an issue with the remote.

That button is simply called the trunk release request button and connects to the Intelligent Key Unit. Try engaging and canceling the trunk lid cancel button found in the glovebox.

Godfoot
Car: 1994 GCZ32 Fairlady-Z
1998 ER34 Skyline
1999 Infiniti Q45t
2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe
2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
1978 Datsun 280Z
1994 Toyota Supra MKIV Single Turbo

Yea if you are trying to use the Release button on the trunk itself while the car is running, it is an excersize in futility. Cold weather doesn't really have an impact on the buttons ability to function, unless you feel that the button isn't moving when you press it. I have the opposite issue myself, I have random trunk opening issues. I will be driving down the street and my trunk will randomly open itself. LOL Gotta love Infinitis and their quirks. I would suggest maybe trying to find someone that has a spare button you could try to see if that alleviates your issue.

jchoriatis
Car: 2006 Infinity M35

I believe the trunk release request button has failed b/c I can open the truck via all other methods. So, I purchased a replacement switch and started the repair. However, after removing the deck cover I discovered that I cannot get to the switch as it sits between the exterior and an internal plate. I can see the wiring connector and seal plug entering the plate, but i cant see anyway to get behind it. Perhaps I'm approaching this wrong so any help would be greatly appreciated.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

You might try searching the FSM (Full-Size Service Manual) for your model year at our site. The links to them are in my sig.

This Service Manual may have some instructions that make it easier.

Z

jiggersplat
Car: 2008 Infiniti M45x
1995 Toyota Supra TT 6-spd

mine just flaked out on me this afternoon while i was standing there with a 50lbs bag of dog food. wouldn't open with the trunk release button on the trunk until i used the keyfob to unlock the car. i've certainly been able to do it with the car locked before.

jchoriatis

szh wrote:You might try searching the FSM (Full-Size Service Manual) for your model year at our site. The links to them are in my sig.

This Service Manual may have some instructions that make it easier.

Z
Thank you for the link - a lot of great info, but nothing specific enough about replacing this item. Any other suggestions would be welcomed...

Thanks again!!

jchoriatis

jiggersplat wrote:mine just flaked out on me this afternoon while i was standing there with a 50lbs bag of dog food. wouldn't open with the trunk release button on the trunk until i used the keyfob to unlock the car. i've certainly been able to do it with the car locked before.
Yes, I can still open the trunk with the key FOB with the car locked, but the switch will not work. I'm ready to replace the switch but cannot find a way to get to it from within the trunk lid.

If you discover how to replace the switch, please post the instructions.

Thank you!

jchoriatis

Update:

I was able to pry the inner plate slightly by using a BIG flat-head screwdriver to make the gap large enough to fit the connector through. Not conventional, but it worked.

Thank you all for your feedback!

John

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”