Trunk Latch Thing Came Off ('01 QX4)

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Fosty
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 2WD

So I was delivering some boxes while at work, looked in the mirror and though "Wow, my window is clean"
It turns out there was no window because my back door had opened up.

The latch system on the actual car came off. I couldn't really see how it was mounted. I did find 2 screws with some slightly conical washers, but I couldn't see where they would screw into. I poked around in the hole to see if I could find some nuts, but no luck.

I've got two questions.
First: does anyone know how to mount this?
Second: is this facing the right direction? Most of the wear is on that side, and this is how the ones at the junkyard looked. (I went there to see if I could find an answer, but the screws were stuck and rusted).

I've currently got it zip tied, but there is too much wiggle. I'll try some JB Steel Stik or my stick welder if the proper hardware is too much trouble to get my hands on or install.
Attachments
right way.png

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The striker should just screw down, but if there were washers it sounds like someone shimmed it, maybe because the rollover cam in the lock mechanism is worn out. Normally the screws are flathead or oval head and the bevel locates the striker precisely. The screws are still available, and according to the parts drawing the high portion of the striker loop should face forward and not back.
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/parts ... am=905_004

Fosty

Interesting.

I checked out a 1A Auto video and it looks like their high portion faces the rear, towards the door.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Well, it's easy enough to find out which is right. The part with the paint missing and shiny metal is from the striker and the rollover cam hitting one another. Bolt the striker down temporarily and see if that's where the contact is happening. If not, whichever way you have it is the wrong way.

Fosty

Ended up fixing it with a couple of these drywall anchors and some washers to make sure they didn't fall into the hole.
Attachments
anchor.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Clever. Great solution! :dblthumb:

Fosty

Temporary solution unfortunately. One broke off after a few weeks. I'll update if I find a new solution.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Since the original weld nuts broke off, using a rivet nut to fix it as good as new would be the best way to go. A low cost rivet nut installation tool and an assortment of metric and SAE size rivet nuts can be purchased from Amazon. The existing holes in the body panel would need to be enlarged to the size needed for the M8 rivet nut. (I think the original screws are an M8, maybe M6, You will have to check yourself on that.) You would then be able to use the original size and type of screw for a secure fastening of that striker. https://www.amazon.com/BEETRO-Professio ... B09WTD9T8T

Fosty

mdmellott wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:28 pm
Since the original weld nuts broke off, using a rivet nut to fix it as good as new would be the best way to go. A low cost rivet nut installation tool and an assortment of metric and SAE size rivet nuts can be purchased from Amazon. The existing holes in the body panel would need to be enlarged to the size needed for the M8 rivet nut. (I think the original screws are an M8, maybe M6, You will have to check yourself on that.) You would then be able to use the original size and type of screw for a secure fastening of that striker. https://www.amazon.com/BEETRO-Professio ... B09WTD9T8T
Hey, thanks. That looks like a proper solution.

Fosty

Worked great!
Hardest part was finding some dang metric screws at Home Depot. Ended up having to buy a multi-pack.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”