Troubleshoot TCS light, no codes

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
wb_stang
Car: 2018 Rogue SV

TCS light is always on, but OBD2 sensor doesn’t detect any codes. How do I start to troubleshoot? I suppose I’ll check electrical harness connection for the sensors at the wheel, assuming their easy to locate once I’m under the car. What else? It’s possible the light came on about when I tried playing with the AWD Lock, and ECO buttons.

2018 Rogue SV

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

Obd just reads engine codes. You have codes but you need a code reader that will read all the modules on your vehicle. A cheap code reader will not do that. Autozone, o’Riellys and others use cheap code readers that will not do that either.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAUNCH-CRP129- ... Sw5ZRdEZUn

This is what I have. Even this is a cheap one but so far I haven’t discovered anything it won’t read on my 2011. Obd of course, transmission module, abs module and srs module. If you have lights on you have a code(s).

It’s unlikely you caused it by playing with the buttons, unless you turned it off. Consult your owners manual and determine if you turned the system off. If that’s the only thing that has happened then you could well have caused the problem playing with the buttons. A 2018 shouldn’t be having wheel sensor problems already.

wb_stang

Thanks. I think the light came on around the same time as the light for the Front Collision Sensor malfunctioning. The full story is that the car is a salvage, that had minor front end damage. But I can’t imagine how that would be connected to TCS.

wb_stang

Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:33 am
Obd just reads engine codes. You have codes but you need a code reader that will read all the modules on your vehicle. A cheap code reader will not do that. Autozone, o’Riellys and others use cheap code readers that will not do that either

This is what I have. Even this is a cheap one but so far I haven’t discovered anything it won’t read on my 2011. Obd of course, transmission module, abs module and srs module. If you have lights on you have a code(s).
I’ll try that one out. This is what I got. I guess the word “enhanced” got me thinking it could do more. Not so much...

AUTOPHIX 3210 Bluetooth OBD2 Enhanced Car Diagnostic Scanner

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P3H3421/re ... uDbVHXH8XQ

Rogue Jarhead

My 2011 is a salvage vehicle also. I bought it in 2013 with 1700 miles on it. It’s been pretty much problem free since. Of course now at nearly 100k I’m having the old parts getting weary issues. Nothing out of the ordinary yet, if it wasn’t for the CVT I would probably buy another.

wb_stang

Got the Launch CRP123. Still don’t see any fault codes. Although admittedly I’m not sure what to look for with the diagnose tool on this thing. It doid say something about failing the evap system leak test.

Rogue Jarhead

I’m not sure how much difference there is between the 129 and 123. However you should be able to go to the middle icon on the main screen and then select by manufacturer and then model. You’ll then want to access the abs system.

wb_stang

Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:29 pm
. You’ll then want to access the abs system.
I select Diagnose, it lets me select NISSAN and select ABS. Then I get a communication error message when I try... “Fault in communication with ECU”.

Rogue Jarhead

Let me check mine in the morning, and see if I can offer any suggestions. I just saw your post at nearly 10pm.

Rogue Jarhead

Ok so I went out and checked mine. I think you forgot to turn the ignition on. When you connect the reader up you need to turn the ignition on so the dash lights all come on. You don’t need to start the vehicle but the ignition needs to be on.

Plug the reader in.

Turn ignition on.

After the reader turns on go to Diagnose

Select Scan

Select Nissan

Push the OK button a couple of times to tab through whatever comes up as default.

Select ABS when the scanner is fully connected.

Read faults.

Read current data is for when the vehicle is under motion (use a helper to drive during this operation, take the wife for ice cream, she drives) so you can read the live data.

All 4 wheel speed sensors are on the first screen, other sensors are on subsequent screens.

Let us know what you find.

wb_stang

Rogue Jarhead wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:55 am

Let us know what you find.
Well no luck with the scanner. It’s push-button start so I pushed button twice so as to not start the engine this time, but same result. Still get that connection error. So I’m returning the scanner just due to disappointment.

On the bright side, it appears the lights on the dash were related to air in the brake lines. All fixed now.

Rogue Jarhead

So did you bleed the brake lines? Glad to hear it’s functioning normally now.

I’m not sure what’s up with that code reader, I’ve used mine on a bunch of different vehicles, I even have a couple of guys that ask to borrow mine occasionally. Maybe you just got a bad one.

On a different note it looks like at 99,000 miles my CVT has decided to die. I guess I spoke to soon about it being basically trouble free. I don’t have a whine but more of a grind that has come on quite suddenly. No shifting problems....yet, so I’m holding out hope that it could be a bad air conditioning compressor bearing but I’m leaning more toward the transmission every day.

I guess if I want to be sure I could just take the serpentine belt off and see if the noise persists.

Return to “Rogue Forum”