Troubled KA24E

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
apex_240sx
Car: car performance and high end car audio

Troubled KA24E

Postby apex_240sx » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:46 pm

Well, i've still had no luck with the engine. I have checked everything!!! My dad is a mechanic and him and i have spent close to 6 hours each day for the last 3 weeks looking at the engine, and trying different things to see what the he!! is going on. He (my dad) isn't too fond on Nissan engines at all, but still, all engines work the same general way and he has checked all the systems (intake, exhaust, valvetrain, fuel, oil, ignition, etc.) and we haven't found any troubles and we still can't get the engine to even start. I'm confused, exhausted, and almost ready to give up and tow the car to Nissan and get them to fix it (at a moderate rate of only $75/hour) I've replaced the air filter, new plugs, new fuel filter, and other than that, the rest of the engine is running properly. Is there any components of the engine that you guys think i should check out (such as systems/parts that aren't on domestics engines, ones that my dad won't know of) before i give up and dish out the $$$ to get it fixed???

JK's240

Postby JK's240 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:46 pm

what exactly is happening with the car, again?? how do you know the rest of the engine is running fine if it won't start?

apex_240sx
Car: car performance and high end car audio

Postby apex_240sx » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:46 pm

i know that the rest of the engine is running fine because the engine is running with proper compression levels, the diagnostic with the ecu showed no problems, and i've visually checked the air intake and exhaust systems and many other small parts throughout the car and i've even replaced a few parts (fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs) and i still can't get the engine to turn over.

Silvia007
Car: 93 240sx SE Fastback

Postby Silvia007 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:46 pm

I had a cousin who had pretty much the same problem, there's fuel, compression, spark, engine cranks and everything. With a total of 4 months looking at the motor, we finally replaced the timming chain, nothing, then replaced the sprockets and it started right up. I'm not sure if this will help at all, but hope it helps in someway.

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

Postby FrEaK » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:46 pm

Is your car cranking over?If it is and fuel, and compression is good, then it's your ignition.If your car isn't then it could be the starter, battery, possibly the alternator. You should try a new battery, bench test the starter, and pull the plugs out one at a time and place it close to your metal valve cover, and if they all give off a spark then it's not your iginition.

If everything works then is most likly a timeing problem.

Diagnostics are the keys to solving a problem.

Good Luck :squint

JK's240

Postby JK's240 » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:46 pm

FrEaK pretty much said it all. And personally, I think your ignition is off. As in your distributor. I had someone bring a Mazda in to me once and they did everything right except the distributor wasn't seated right. So they had fuel, they had spark, they most definitely had air but they were getting the spark on the wrong stroke. That would cause the engine to crank nicely but never turn over even though air, fuel, and spark are all present. To make sure fuel is present, you can pour it into your intake manifold a little at a time.

crypt2k
Car: cars, women, what else.

Postby crypt2k » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:46 pm

bumpity!I'm having the same prob... need all the help I can get.

Ceptos
Car: 95 240sx

Postby Ceptos » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:46 pm

sorry this is unrelated to the thread...that mummy is from metal slug!! awesome! which one is that, metal slug X?

crypt2k
Car: cars, women, what else.

Postby crypt2k » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:46 pm

i think its for 2 or X... there basically the same...

but.... any info on the thread?

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”