trouble with Infiniti JX35 Headlamp assembly

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Babs29571
Car: Infiniti JX35

Hi, My name is Alicia, I am new to the forum. I need HELP! I was told by the Nissan dealership that I needed to replace the whole drivers side head light assembly on my Infiniti JX35 because of a ballast issue. I found a new headlight on Ebay and had it replaced. The problem is the headlight has an area where the light is blocked or a void in the headlight field. The only way I can describe it is when riding down the road with your headlights on you see light but there is a spot where there is no light right on the road where the oncoming traffic would be. I tried having it adjusted to see if that would help but it only pushed the void out into the woods but it was still there. I got a replacement sent to me and had it put in last Thursday and it has the same issue. The person installing the light for me seems to think that the light is defected. Any help would be appreciated. I was told by the seller that based on my VIN that the light was the proper light for my vehicle.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Welcome to NICO Club!

Regular headlights, the low beams, should have a cut off built in that removes the direct light from the eyes of oncoming traffic. It's too bad the ballast couldn't be replaced by itself instead of a complete assembly. Aftermarket and cheap headlights sometimes don't design the cut off correctly. You should be able to see it in the shape of the lens in the headlight assembly and compare it to your broken one. OEM wins often in headlight parts when compared to aftermarket. I'd use the old OEM assembly and the new ballast. I did read that there is an issue with moisture getting in there and messing things up. Perhaps the new assembly recommendation is supposed to fix that.

You can take some photos, share them on imgur and then link them here and we can take a close look for you. Sharing 'brand' names might help.

I found a video about the replacement and it mentions just the ballast and the bulb. I'm not sure why you have a new assembly. Here's a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iWzv6GfeJc

Babs29571
Car: Infiniti JX35

Thank you so much! I probably could have gotten by with just a ballast and a bulb but I went to the Nissan dealership and they told me that I could not replace just the ballast that I needed the whole assembly. I will try to see if I can use the old assembly and a ballast and bulb. I am able to return the replacement headlight assembly I just received because it was the same as the first.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Okay, I hope it works out for you. I'm often skeptical of dealership recommendations and tend to get a second opinion whenever possible. That and I'm big on DIY solutions. Good luck and keep us in mind should you ever need any help or ideas for the JX. :bigthumb:

Return to “General Chat”