Trouble Removing AC Compressor Pulley

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
my12by60

The bearing under the pulley went bad and was getting really noisy. I took off the belt, clutch plate and snap ring, but I could not get the pulley off to replace the bearing. I got a loaner tool from O'Reilly, but I could not figure out how to use any of the remover tools with my pulley set up. I tried using some PB Blaster and did some light prying, but I did not want to get too aggressive and ruin the compressor or pulley. Has anybody replaced the AC pulley bearing? How did you get the pulley off of the compressor? Fortunately, it is winter, so going without HVAC for a while is no issue. We are in Phoenix, so heat is seldom needed. Thanks for any tips on getting this pulley off.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I haven't actually done this on a Nissan. Once on a Mercury Tracer but it was a long time ago. Maybe it's similar to this one on a 2006 Murano?

https://youtu.be/mwZKLzJr7QE

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

I had trouble swapping the pulleys on my M45. I gave up and got a used a/c compressor off ebay, instead. If it cam off the same make/model/year, you shouldn't have to shim it. Not sure which model your working on but its probably either a Calsonic V5 or V6 ac compressor. Replacing with used/rebuilt compressor is easier, just make sure you service it.

my12by60

I ordered a two-jaw puller like this:https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-Ton ... lsrc=aw.ds.

That allowed me to get the pulley off without too much work. My next problem is that the bearing that I bought at Auto Zone is not the correct bearing. Both the Auto Zone website and Amazon's garage say this is the correct bearing:https://www.amazon.com/Santech-Industri ... B0049PI5W2.

But my digital calipers show the ID of the MT2021 at 10mm while the ID of the bearing in the pulley is 20mm. Does not sound like anybody in this forum has replaced this bearing. If somebody is out there that has, let me know what bearing you used as a replacement.

my12by60

The IDs noted in my prior post are wrong. The bearing ID that I need is 40mm. The ID of the bearing that I have on hand is 35mm. I forgot to zero out my calipers prior to measuring. So the bearing that I am looking for will have an ID of 40mm.

98_Q45

HELLO,

I replaced my compressor last year, also brought my car from Phoenix lol. It was dead and covered with oil when I brought it. Not wanting to take any chances, I just bought a whole new one. Honestly...I didn’t even bother taking it apart. I just went on rockauto and bought the compressor, condenser and drier and had a shop install and charge it. $300 for the parts and of course labor may vary.

My Nissan Maxima also has a loud bearing. This has been going on since 2015 before I even had the Q. It started when I went thru a flooding street. It still holds pressure and it seems to only just now be starting to leak a little. If it goes, I’m definitely just replacing the whole thing.

I know you already started the project, but if you’re not too pressed I would replace the whole thing. At the same time, it looks hella hard to replace being under the car, which is why I took it to a shop (but did the condenser and drier myself to save $$) May try Infinitipartsdeal.com or Scottsdale Infiniti for an exact bearing part search with vin.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

I'm surprised the bearing in the pulley doesn't have a part number stamped on it. When I google bearing sizes, I see some, but I think some depend on the manufacturer. Nissan sells either the full compressor assembly, or the clutch, so there's no part number to help in their catalog.

my12by60

Here is the correct bearing for my compressor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X2 ... UTF8&psc=1

I guess my Q was considered "early production 2000", as the bearing above is listed for that application.

I ordered one and had a local shop with a press take out the old and put in the new. Now I am waiting to get access to the car to put the pulley and belt back on. Cost so far is $14 for the two-jaw puller, $13 for the bearing and $25 for a Channel Lock set of snap ring pliers (mine were cheap junk that were hard to work with).

We are not sure if we are keeping the Q long term, or else I would have just brought it to the shop for a whole new compressor. I have no idea how long the 19-year old original compressor will last. So the bearing work could be for naught if the compressor dies in short order. Right now, however, the Q has the best AC of the 3 vehicles that we own. So I could not bring myself to take off a highly functioning compressor just because it had a bad bearing.

Q451990

Awesome update! I hope this gets it back up and running for you.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”