Tricks for pulling rear stub-axles?

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
prigo

Tried to get them off yesterday by wedging a pipe between the wheel studs and the underside if the car, and then put a breaker bar on the nut on the back. I bent the pipe before anything happened...

Anyone know of any tricks to pull em?

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

I've had good luck I guess, I put a ratchet on the back side and a wrecking bar between the studs and turned the nut off with the aid of a cheater pipe and now I tend to just use my impact which makes quick work of them

if you have access to a good impact gun it should come off in a hurry

prigo

not sure I can fit an impact back there... I guess I can pull the half-shafts off completely...
evildky wrote:I've had good luck I guess, I put a ratchet on the back side and a wrecking bar between the studs and turned the nut off with the aid of a cheater pipe and now I tend to just use my impact which makes quick work of them

if you have access to a good impact gun it should come off in a hurry

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

the half shaft should swing out of the way but it might help to tie it back with some wire, or you could just pop it out from the diff if it co-operates, if not stil only 4 bolts to remove it, also might be helpful to have your jackstand positioned under the spindel pins so as to compress the suspension and level out the lower control arm and give you a bit more working room

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”