Trials and Tribulations of Swapping VQ35de Motors

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
callybilds
Car: 2003 G35 A/T, Rebuilt

Trials and Tribulations of Swapping VQ35de Motors

Postby callybilds » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:17 pm

Hello. This is my first post to the group so if i am in the wrong place, my apologies. My issue is this. Last summer, my son was driving it and experience a catastrophic engine failure event. I found a suitable donor in a model year 2004.5 VQ35de. The 03 VQ35de has an ECU programmed for the 03 model year, the 04.5 is also programmed for that year but has different injectors and different A/F sensors.
Currently, i am seeing a closed loop fault under medium to heavy acceleration and "coasting". The scanner says that it is running lean, intermittently on both banks.. I have tested the vac pressure at the intake, (22psi), I have tested the MAF sensor, fuel pressure, reset the throttle position sensor. When researching the fuel injectors, I found that the 03 and the 04.5 have different injectors. I have tried to find the specs on them to compare but have been unsuccessful. I am having a very hard time determining whether or not I should have the 03 injectors installed for the 03 ECU or do i need to install the 04.5 injectors for mechanical function of the motor.
Also, how would the difference in A/F Sensors play into this.
I have two sets of injectors now. One set installed and one set not. The uninstalled set is the FBJC100 set. I do not know for sure what the markings are on the installed set.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

callybilds
Car: 2003 G35 A/T, Rebuilt

Re: Trials and Tribulations of Swapping VQ35de Motors

Postby callybilds » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:35 pm

Did I post this under the wrong area because there have been a lot of views and no responses.

tjrob2000
Car: 2007 G35 sedan (journey)

Re: Trials and Tribulations of Swapping VQ35de Motors

Postby tjrob2000 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:23 pm

I'm by no means an expert on those model years or differences, but from the information you've given my first question is why is the ECU programmed for an '03 for an '04.5 engine? Given you say the injectors and A/F sensors are different I'd guess the programming is different and the ECU can't compensate enough. Try getting the correct ECU first, or at least do more research on the engine differences. Just my 2 cents.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”