Trashing the Bose system-which speakers to replace?

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
goosepuppy
Car: Nissan Altima 2009 w/Bose 9 speaker sound system-No Nav

Installed:
Double Din alpine cde-w235bt Headunit

JL audio powered 10" Sub (JL Audio PowerWedge MAX)

Hello everyone. If someone could help me out it would be fantastic. I've been combing through the internet and can't find the answers I'm looking for.

First, I'm not going to be personally installing anything. Getting it professionally done. Wouldn't know where to start and would mess up my car.

I've got the Altima 09-Bose "premium"-It's a 9 speakers system-No nav
3 front dash/2 Front doors/2 Rear doors/2 Rear dash
I'm not a complete newb, after reading through a lot of forums I can understand the jist of most things.

I want to replace the speakers and put in an amp.

Already installed:
  • alpine CDE-W235cbt headunit doube din
  • JL audio power wedge max (10" powered subwoofer) wish I went a little bigger here, so would like my new speakers to carry some of the lows as well

Don't want my car to shake. Don't want to have a necessarily very loud system. Just want really good acoustics. I spend a lot of time in my car listening to tunes.

Ok so now I want to replace my speakers, beacuse I'm pretty sure I've blown them out or something. They don't sound terrible, but some distortion is happening. The highs are way to sharp. Gives me that chalk screaching on black board feeling sometimes. The bass is meh, the mids are meh. Overall meh.... Even though people always complement me on my system, I'm really unsatisfied by it and ever since I added the HU and Sub I expected a lot more and I think it just got worse.

What I need is help in what to replace. The dash? the fronts? rears? the rear deck? Some of them, a couple or what? Should I disconnect some speakers or what?
I would like to set up a good sound stage, but constantly have people in my car so as long as the front speakers are enough for the whole car, I'd be fine with disconnecting the rear.

My budget is around 700-800 $ for the parts. Definitely don't have to spend all of it. Disregard labor.

What I would like to do is put components in the front, if possible. A 4 channel amp for sure. But what else? Should I replace the front dash? put the tweeters there? What about the rear deck? I think they are woofers? Wouldn't mind disconnecting some things, if you believe that other installed parts would be more than adequate.
I listen to electronic, deep bass stuff, Rock, down-tempo electronic, Nu-Disco things like disclosure etc.. but also chill tunes and Rock

Thanks guys, I would really love any help!

TL; DR How many speakers should I put in? And which ones should I replace (Fronts, obviously, but what about the front dash, rear doors, rear dash?) Sub and HU already installed. How many amps? Suggestions (amps, speakers) would be welcome but not necessary.

goosepuppy
Car: Nissan Altima 2009 w/Bose 9 speaker sound system-No Nav

Installed:
Double Din alpine cde-w235bt Headunit

JL audio powered 10" Sub (JL Audio PowerWedge MAX)

Nobody?

seldomseen
Car: '12 Altima Coupe 3.5 SR & '15 Lexus GS350 F Sport

Most folks simply replace the factory speakers with their choice of aftermarket direct replacement speakers, in addition to adding a subwoofer box of some sort. (universal box/custom enclosure). Since you have the Bose system, replace the amps too. With regard to headunit, it really depends on what your preferences are. A lot of folks install a DD HU with navigation, etc. Amp arrangement also depends on what you're trying to achieve as well. Some folks with go with one 4 channel amp or simply get amps dedicated to front/rear pairing, etc. Your relatively small budget may create some install challenges for you. Nonetheless, whatever you decide to do the sound should be better than factory. Hell, the factory Bose set up sounds like crap. :biggrin:

In a nutshell, replace your factory head unit with a new one that meets your criteria, replace all the factory speakers with aftermarket speakers, and install an aftermarket amp(s) to power the new speakers you install. Importantly, make sure you upgrade your speaker wiring as necessary to accommodate the increased power. This basic install process will yield the best sound quality and output. There's really not much more to the process unless you're planning on a major install that requires extensive custom install of a lot of technology.

Return to “Altima General Discussions”