Transmissions --- Repair or Pass ?

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Smagegy
Car: ???

Hey Buds,

I'm shopping for a Nissan (Rogue, Altima, Maxima, Murano, or Pathfinder) AND i see 'a few that need a new trans' ---
  • Is it worth it to get involved in Swapping a Used Tranny in these Cars ?
  • How much work/ costs is involved ?
I'd be willing to REhab a low mileage car IF its going to work in the end...

Thoughts / Comments ?

Thanks for your input~

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That's a complicated question, so I need to give you a long-winded answer. CVT trannies have a steel belt riding on a pair of steel pulleys in place of traditional planetaries. Without any sacrificial clutch material, that means they're completely dependent on the quality of the fluid to prevent metal from meeting metal. I.e., when the fluid dies, the tranny dies with it. The flip side is, with good fluid maintenance, there are no clutches to wear out and they can be perpetual motion machines. Since Nissan absurdly doesn't recommend regular changes, a lot of people simply run their trannies into the ground out of ignorance.

That means any used tranny you get will be a crapshoot. However, there is a fairly bulletproof way to make sure you get a good one. That's to obtain the TCM from the donor vehicle along with the used CVT. It happens that it will also save you a lot of programming to go that route, but mainly you can hook up the TCM in the recipient and read the codes out of the used TCM before installing anything. If it has judder codes (P17F1/P17F0) or other pressure related codes, you know immediately that it's a clinker and you can return it to the junkyard with no harm done. If it passes that test, have a look and smell at the fluid. CVT's don't make "ATF soup" like a regular automatic (again, no clutches to speak of) but the fluid shouldn't be dark brown and shouldn't smell burnt. Light brown is okay and they always smell varnishy, that's normal. If it passes both of those tests, freshen the fluid and you're good to go.

Rebuilding is a different matter. There are rebuild kits with a new belt, pulleys, and pump available for most models, but installing them is fairly specialized operation and you're still into a new Valve Body and a complete reprogramming. So unless you have a rebuilder intimately familiar with Jatco CVT's, by the time you're done, you're probably just as well off purchasing a reman from Nissan.

Lastly, with a new/reman or a used one lacking the TCM, expect it to need a procedure for reading the IP Chars and storing them in the new TCM. Most of them behave badly without IP's and some don't even move. On some vehicles with a ROM in the tranny you can do that with the CVTz50 app, but on most you need to scan a QR code or use a CD along with a specialized scanner. That means a trip to the dealer (possibly towed) if you lack the needed equipment.

Smagegy

That sounds expensive V --- like maybe mid 4figs ---

--- UNLESS i steel the car for low-junk value and everything else is fine.

THEN i would have to test drive and make sure motor is 100%

*THIS CAR BUYING IS TRICKY !

:0

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Remans typically go for around $2000~2500 online, so that's about right if you go that route. JY trannies are a lot cheaper, even with the TCM included. Whether it's worthwhile depends a lot on the intrinsic value of the car.

Smagegy

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:38 pm
Remans typically go for around $2000~2500 online, so that's about right if you go that route. JY trannies are a lot cheaper, even with the TCM included. Whether it's worthwhile depends a lot on the intrinsic value of the car.
Ok..i did a search... What is a JY transmission ?

:confused:

fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Hint: The 'Y' stands for "Yard".

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

I can only speak for the 2001-2004 Pathfinder/QX4 - I had a failed reman experience and the used market is very limited. Many or most of these old trucks are junked when the transmission fails so you'll have to be patient and lucky to find a good used transmission.

When my 2001 Pathfinder transmission failed I got quotes of 4k and upward to rebuild, so I took the reman route - both the first reman and its replacement failed at around 100 miles after using their authorized installer. Either the rebuild was bad or the installer was incompetent or both, I was not able to determine. One of the problems of using a remain is they typically do not test their builds.

I went used and found a local transmission shop that would inspect transmissions before installing them, by dropping the pan, etc. The first 2 transmissions from a recycler failed the inspection and were returned. Then I found a wrecked QX4 with 130k miles, transmission intact and purchased the tranny for $400 and it works like new. I found the used transmissions on https://www.car-part.com.

I've had my Pathfinder since new, it is in great shape. During the months that it did not run I shopped for a 4Runner as a replacement but found it would take at least $40k for one that I'd be satisfied with. So in a sense it worked out for me, but I do not suggest purchasing a car with a bad transmission unless you have a known good transmission on hand and someone capable to install it.

fixer3

What brand was the remanufactured and how well did they handle the warranty ?

sroberts
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

My transmission reman was done by a major reman company in Wisconsin. I don't want to name them here but you can probably find the company. They ultimately reimbursed me for the cost of the reman and they covered shipping but I paid for 2 transmission swaps. The entire process took around 5 months.

After failure #1 I pressed the company to determine the cause so we could have confidence a 2nd would not fail. They did not seem interested in performing a diagnosis and conveyed they have a low failure rate but sometimes failures happen. The second one failed exactly the same way and they decided to refund since it was likely a third reman would also fail.

fixer3

I only know of Jasper, that's why I asked, didn't know if they do imports. Great that whoever they were stood behind it.
I've had decent luck with remanufactured, averaging about 6 years out of them (full size trucks).

Smagegy

TCM - Transmission Code Module --- Where is it located ?

Suppose the JY version doesn't have one ?

Thoughts / Comments?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Smagegy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:48 am
That depends on the year and the model. The TCM on my '02 Pathfinder is mounted under my dashboard, on the driver side. Newer model Pathfinders have their TCM mounted to the valve body, inside the transmission.

Smagegy

mdmellott wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:17 pm
Smagegy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:48 am
That depends on the year and the model. The TCM on my '02 Pathfinder is mounted under my dashboard, on the driver side. Newer model Pathfinders have their TCM mounted to the valve body, inside the transmission.
Uggh... i don't like that... gotta pull the trans to get to the TCM ???

:frown: :frown: :frown:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Only on R51's '03~'12 (I think). The R52's '13~'20 have CVT's, so the TCM is in the engine box along with the ECM.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”