transmission stuck in 2nd gear

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

2007 G35 Sedan Automatic VDC off 26,000 miles. Dealership serviced transmission at 20,000 miles.

Driving at lunch.... come out of work shifting manually run through 3rd gear let up when shift into 4th.

Next light. Light brake stall to warm the tires... roll forward. Light turns green leave full throttle 1st gear, shift at 7200 rpm.... 2nd gear shift at 7200 rpm... car did not accept the shift. No noise just stayed in 2nd.

So I let off the gas and tried to shift manually into 3rd again. The car would not accept a upshift. So I put it back into D. The car stayed in 2nd gear. I let all the way up and it engine breaked all the way down to 3000 rpm never leaving 2nd gear. I pulled off and put the car in park and turned it off. Counted to 30 and restarted it.

The car runs fine? Even shifting manually it goes through all the gears?

Do I need to go to the dealership?

Jeff

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

That sucks!! Maybe your "drag car" finally crapped the tranny lol. I was waiting for a thread like this.

I say take it to the dealer and have them handle it...don't mention the drag racing though

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

Nah...

I'm not harder on my G then anyone else. I just abuse mine at the track for the most part. The car should be designed so that all the parts can handle the power the motor makes without breaking. When you break stuff driving hard is when you have signifficantly modified the amount of power the motor is making.

I've shared my racing stories and videos with my dealership... seriously. I would never try to hide something like that... I was the same way with the Hemi. Personally I think they should sponser me LOL. If you have a failure that is due to wear and tear its on you whether you race or not. If you have failure that is a defect its on Infiniti whether you race or not.

I know if you miss a shift in manual mode it will not let you make the shift until you are far enough down on the rpms.... the shift algorithm is very weird. I think what probably happened is my shift into 3rd was farther up the RPM then I thought and the transmission would not accept a upshift at that RPM. What concerns me is that it would not accept a upshift at 3000 rpm. The fact that there was no noise and after a restart is performs fine makes me think it was electronic. I just wonder if its a big enough concern to let the dealership have my wheels for a day.

I think I've answered my own question... if it happens again I'll take it too them.

Thanks,

Jeff

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

joe603 wrote:That sucks!! Maybe your "drag car" finally crapped the tranny lol. I was waiting for a thread like this.

I say take it to the dealer and have them handle it...don't mention the drag racing though

Joe you took the words right out of my mouth!!

I'm not laughing at you Woody... I just kinds thought it was going to be a matter of time.

IMHO - I would have it checked out...

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Your call man...Just keep an eye on it. I hate AUTO tranny's...they seem so insistent on hitting the "no fun" switch

Hope it was an isolated incident!! (I love your drag stories too btw )

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

Bet it was the computer, not the tranny. Probably never happen again.

I hear a lot of racket around here about 6MTs... I had a MT on several cars. You know, I really miss the buzzing from the shifter as it rattles while driving down the freeway, that was fun.

ryan_g35
Car: Infiniti G35 silver blacked out =]

this happen to me a few times lol i did the same just stopped and turned it off and everything run normal i think its just the computer getting put throuh stress and it just need to restart and clear through . thats what i just went with so i didnt think it was a big deal

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Jeff

have you tried grounding wires on your car?

Might be somethin to look into with this. Sounds like a computer issue to me as well.

You gotta admit though, it is ironic that it happens to you!!

First thing i thought when i saw this thread was, "he was racing"

haha

ArizonaG35
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35 Journey Sedan/Premium Pkg. Platinum Graphite

I bet it was just a random "fart" in the computer... I'd say if it happens again, then you should definately go to the dealer. I bet you never reproduce the same problem... and remember murphy's law... you could leave your car at the dealership for a month and they could never replicate the problem, but the second you leave the garage, it repeats itself...

gwoods
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8

I almost never shift in manual mode because I miss the shift into 2nd or shift too early and then the car will not let me make the upshift until the RPM's drop down to a resonable number. I think it was just a computer hickup and seeing others that have had it too makes me more comfortable.

You would not believe what car companies put a transmission through before it goes into production and into my hands. One of my buddies worked at a GM testing facility... they would do repeated neutral starts and move from drive to reverse and back to drive over and over trying to break the transmission. The parts are all designed to operate in most conditions at the rated power. When you start making 50-100 more hp then stock you will find the weak links. This is why I will not modify my G like I did the Hemi.

The parts I will wear out early on my car will be suspension bushings... possibly rear axle half shafts... and motor/transmission mounts. Everything else should survive until I drop the car off at 59k miles and pick up my GTR

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”