Transmission servicing...slave&mast cylinder

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

OK. I'm pretty sure that I need to change my master and slave cylinders on my '93 SE Coupe. The transmission is actually out of a '97 or '98 240SX. I'm having a few "noises" coming from the tranny sometimes. Like, when I'm pulling out of my garage in reverse, and I press the clutch in....it makes a whining noise like the clutch hasn't released all of the way....like its still spinning in gear, but not actually moving. And the noise continues until I let out on the clutch. Also, when I'm shifting hard/fast into 3rd, there is a squeel, not really a grind, just a solid noise?? Anyone had these problems?

T.I.A.

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

throwout bearing

JeromeS13
Car: 2008 Subaru Impreza STI

And I'm assuming I have to pull the entire tranny to change the throw out bearing?

Also, how hard is it to change the master/slave cylinders?

drjohn

If the car is moving in rev. with the clutch in and whinning slightly then this is normal do to mating of gears in rev. If the whine is loud it's possible that the rev. idler gear is chipped and causing the whinning when moving with the clutch in. If the noise is present when the clutch is in and car stopped then it is likely to be the release bearing or the pilot bushing it the end of the crankshaft. Any of these requires the trans to be removed for repairs. A clutch hyd. problem causes soft pedal, low pedal, or raking going into gear because the disc doesn't release completely from flywheel.

SlowFiveOh
Car: drag racing, music

if the slave cylinder is bad the clutch pedal will stick to the floor and not return back up. reverse will whine when the clutch is engaged, also it is not uncommon if it grinds occasionally when trying to put it in reverse, i dont think reverse has any synchros on the 240. yes the tranny has to be removed to get to the throwout bearing and the tranny, pressure plate, clutch and flywheel have to be removed to get to access the pilot bushing.

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

My clutch pedal sticks at about half way when I release the clutch, would this also be due to a bad slave cylinder? I got 100k on my car.

Stock-S13

post is kinda old but, my Clutch pedal doesnt stick can i rule out that Slave cylinder? also mine makes a noise when the clucth isn't in like a breathing noise or sucking noise from where the Shift boot is at, but goes away when i push in the clucth.any input?

Edgar

hokiruu
Car: 2012 INFINITI M37X Platinum Graphite

'95 240sx/s14 SR20DET (in 2000) SOLD

APEXi240 wrote:My clutch pedal sticks at about half way when I release the clutch, would this also be due to a bad slave cylinder? I got 100k on my car.
Same thing happens to me, but only once in awhile: I have 104k mi on my KA and am currently getting parts together for my SR20DET swap. I bought a Nismo clutchline and want to have a really tough drivetrain so I wanna upgrade the clutch system as much as possible for good pedal feel. A mechanic told me he would suspect the master cylinder before the slave cylinder, but I have no idea which one to replace! I was thinking about buying a Nismo slave cylinder, but if its the master cylinder, I would replace that as a higher priority. Which do you guys think it is? BTW, Nismo only makes a slave cylinder as far as I know.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”